Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox Live...or is it?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 12:43
How come everytime I hear about an Xbox 360 game' s online I usually hear something like " framerate drops" and " lag like no other" ? I was kind of late to the Xbox 1 party and the only game I played with that online was Halo 2...worked fine for me. (exepct for the occasiona thing, sure).

Then the 360 comes around and for a while Call of Duty 2 was having online problems for a while before it got fixed. Doom I, I heard, has some troubles with its online and its 13 years old! Same with Street Fighter...

Well, see, when Gears of War comes out I' ll probably fuss up the money for a year online, but if most of the games for the 360 are laggy then...uh...is it worth playing anything online other then Halo 2, Gears(?), COD3(?). Is it worth me spending my holiday cash for Live?...help!

<<why is it that games like Doom I are laggy when they are 13yrs old?...crappy dev?>>
< Message edited by _Ninja_Protocol_ -- 4 Oct 06 4:45:28 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 13:30
I very rarely get lag when I occasionally play online. If I do it' s usually the host not having enough upload bandwidth.

Why are Doom/Streetfighter/etc games laggy online? Quite simply because they were never really designed to be played online. The net code has to be written/rewritten from scratch and making it work with such an old existing program can be troublesome. I think they' ll eventually sort them out, it' s a shame but you' ll have to give the developers time.

Live is definitely worth it if you have some spare time. Good times are to be had. I unfortunately barely go on live anymore because of real life commitments.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 13:49
Do you have a 360, Ninja? I just ask, because if you don' t, and you' re planning on getting one then you should just take advantage of the free month of Gold membership. That way you could just check it all out.

Hell, even if you already have the thing, and just pay for a one month subscription, if you don' t like it you would' ve saved yourself $42 (one month is $8). Also, the year subscription includes an extra month right now, so if you DO like it, then you will have paid $58 for 14 months!

Basically, everybodys experience will be subjective, and you should see for yourself.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 13:53
Xbox Live with the exception of certain games (COD3 for example will use dedicated servers) the players connection as a virtual server. So if you lag out all the time maybe you sould get a real ISP and stop bitching. It really pisses me off when people play Live and share their connection then bitch about lag. A game won' t lag if the host has a decent connection, if you use wireless internet, or are sharing your connection or are using a cheap ISP then don' t fucking host any games. If everyone had good Live etiquette everyone would be happy. Unfortunately some people are too dumb to breath let alone use Live.

The advantage of Live is that game developers/producers can support online play without having to invest in their own servers. So the end result is that smaller developers that have limited budgets can have online play when it would otherwise be impossible. At the same time the larger devs can supply their own servers for more players and better stability.

I have a great connection so my friends often ask me to host, and when I do we never have any problems.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 4 Oct 06 5:54:35 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 15:51
Playing games online sucks ass. Not due to any framerate dropage or whatnot, but just because it is boring. Real people are so much better. I suggest getting some real friends and inviting them over. I will let my free trial of Xbox Live expire. Xbox Live is dead to me.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 16:10
um yeah... Doom was the first game to have online deathmatch when it was on PC long ago and it works perfectly fine playing online over xbox live with a 360. I have it and have played it.

Street Fighter they had to somehow fit it into the existing code I don' t know how well it works, i' ve never played it online.

If anyone ever starts talking about framerate drops when they play on xbox live immediatly stop listening to them because they are an idiot.

I haven' t had problems with any games on xbox live. Here is what I' ve played on it:
Mech Assault
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Halo 2
Project Gothem Racing 2
Dead or Alive Ultimate
Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow
Call of Duty 2
Dead or Alive 4
Perfect Dark Zero
Marble Blast Ultra
Doom
Uno
Texas Hold ' em

The only game that slowed down was Dead or Alive and that is because they did it on purpose to compensate for latency. Maybe Street Fighter does something similiar?
You can go ahead and figure out a way to communcate digitally faster than the speed of light and solve the problem if you want.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 16:14
Doom may lag as any game might if you play people with poor connections :P
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 16:31

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

um yeah... Doom was the first game to have online deathmatch when it was on PC long ago and it works perfectly fine playing online over xbox live with a 360. I have it and have played it.

I had a hunch that it already had deathmatch capabilities from way back but I wasn' t sure if it was a user mod or not.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 16:32
I' ve encountered lag on Xbox Live only in very rare cases. Maybe 1 out of every 50 gaming sessions, and even then only in isolated instances.

But I will say that playing with actual friends from real life over Live is what' s made it worthwhile... playing with strangers all the time can be depressing if you keep encountering stupid and obnoxious ones.
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 16:40
I have suffered miserable lag in many instances on XBox Live, but then again, that can be attributed to the fact that I always seem to find a**holes with miserable connections (mine is always tops, I swear!!)!!

I constantly enjoy myself on Xbox Live, so people, hit me up (I am officially unofficially making this my " here' s my GT thread" )....

BCKPower86

I have Tiz up there, but not many others have requested my sweet digital friendship....
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 17:04
Framerate drops?

You don' t get framerate drops playing online. Lag maybe, if you have a sh!t conection or decide to play with morons who have sh!t conections, ...that i gues could be interpreted as framerate drops.

I play on Live waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than i play online PC games. I didn' t used to, i played games like Quake 3, UT2003/4, Battlefield etc, PC shooters online before i got my 360. The real console game i played online was Halo. But now, because of how good XBL is, because it just works and you can play almost every game online (Fight Night Round 3!) with virtually no problems, i only play over XBL.

If you have a T1 connection then you' ll be fine. Just make a habbit of playing with the same people, the people on your friends list for example and as long as they don' t have a sh!t connection then you' ll be fine. Quez and i usually host our GRAW matches because we both have decent connections (though he has 8 meg and while i am supposed to get 8 i only get 6) and can cope with the maximum number of players possible.

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 19:17
well theres upload and download speed, for hosting you need a good upload speed.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 19:24
Lagg?
Nope.

For me its lagg free over xbl.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 04, 2006 21:44
Overtime you develope some good relationships with other gamers and more often then not one of tem will have nice connection thus allowing everyone to play in a lag free totally kickass room with people you prefer playing with. Dont forget to take advantage of the " Avoid Player" option on XBL.

Only when I go drifting into other rooms have I found instances of lag. AFter the first few bouts I simply leave and find another room. However Ive gathert a good list of people form different times of day so I can usually find a friends room to drop in on.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 00:03
The only game I' ve noticed a significant amount of lag in was Dead or Alive 4, everything else seemed to run smoothly for the most part. I played Wrestle Kingdom against a few other players residing in Japan and other than a MINOR hiccup once or twice, the experience was impressively smooth.
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 02:28
As most have said, lag is minimal is your host has decent connection speed (this was an issue for until recently).

The best thing about Xbox live is definately playing with people you know, although I have made friends with people from here and just good people I' ve met from all over the world. Great fun, and for me every bit as important as 1player xbox play, if not more so.

A lot of games do seem to suck a bit when they first come out (Saints Row!!!!) however patches sort this out and if you invite friends only you should be fine.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 03:08
I' ve never had any kind of " framerate" issues in my limited exploits on XBL.
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 03:23

Playing games online sucks ass. Not due to any framerate dropage or whatnot, but just because it is boring. Real people are so much better. I suggest getting some real friends and inviting them over. I will let my free trial of Xbox Live expire. Xbox Live is dead to me.

Ofcourse real people are better...but the point of live is you can play your friends online no matter what country they are living in or have moved to. I think it' s great! I got 2 friends I' ve not seen for about 5/6 years but I' m still talking to them without having to make expensive phone calls and still playing videogames with them like we use to in the good ol' days.

I also have some friends who are still living in this country, I live in london and my buddy lives in bath. I don' t need to travel 2 hours to go play games with him, I can just switch on my xbox360 and he' s there. Okay so I don' t see his face when I chat...but hey we got vision camera coming out soon.

I love xboxlive!!! I think it' s the best thing that' s ever happend to online gaming!
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 03:47
Yeah, I own a 360. I already used the 1 Free Gold, but all I pretty much did with it was play Halo 2 (cause at the time COD2 was still suffering from issues).
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: Xbox Live...or is it? - Oct 05, 2006 04:23

Yeah, I own a 360. I already used the 1 Free Gold, but all I pretty much did with it was play Halo 2 (cause at the time COD2 was still suffering from issues).

well then you need to buy more xbox360 games to enjoy live. Hell you don' t even need to buy games, just go chat with your buddies or whatever for 24 hours without paying a phone bill lol.

I' ve met soo many cool people online, people with the same interests as me, we even swap emails. I' ve had friends from the original xboxlive till this day, players from guilty gear xx and street fighter 3rd strike, capsom vs snk 2, doa 2 ultimate. I not only talk to them on live but on msn too, and we' ve all become friends from different countries, amsterdam, spain, US, sweden...hell I just added a friend from japan onto my msn only 2 days ago because he was excited about lost odyssey and worshipped sakaguchi and I met him playing street fighter II HP lol.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 21

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message