Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 So...Vista' s out...
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
So...Vista' s out... - Jan 31, 2007 04:47
I think most people here have already said they' re going to wait until Vista becomes more of a necessity before upgrading, and wisely so.

A few sites have been reviewing their experiences however, and some of it' s fairly interesting:

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2007/01/30/Windows_Vista_review/1.aspx

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_performance_amd_catalyst_7.1/

http://techgage.com/article/windows_vista_gaming_performance_reports

Seems AMD-ATI and nVidia have showed their support off the bat. My only concern at the moment is that Creative have been slow to get signed drivers out there - which means 64bit Vista wont recognise discrete sound from your XFi.

Granted most of the problems will be solved eventually, and performance will only improve with better drivers. Personally, I' m still not upgrading until at least - inevitable bugs have been squashed, more dx10 gfx cards are available, more dx10 games have been made.

So maybe sometime at the end of the year I' ll go for an OEM copy of 64-bit Vista (Home Premium? or Ultimate with FMV backgrounds?) with a new gfx card and PSU...

Oops, just read this:

Addendum: An unregistered poster in our forums made this comment: " Microsoft stripped DirectSound and DirectSound 3D from Vista, meaning that there is no hardware audio in any DirectSound game. No fancy effects or even surround sound. Just plain old stereo. I don' t know why they did it, but there you have it."

I forgot to make mention of this, but its true. OpenAL is the primary sound technology used in Vista, so future games released will have this support. For games that lack this OpenAL support, companies like Creative will be releasing special drivers that will convert all DirectSound 3D to OpenAL so that it can be used appropriately. It' s clunky, but its better than nothing. This is another good reason that Vista is not the right OS for current gaming.

??
< Message edited by choupolo -- 30 Jan 07 21:02:32 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: So...Vista' s out... - Jan 31, 2007 08:18
Hmm it comes as a free upgrade with my PC tho If I dont like it then it shouldnt be too much of a problem.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: So...Vista' s out... - Jan 31, 2007 09:45
No huge advantages as far as I can tell. Can anybody persuade me otherwise?
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: So...Vista' s out... - Jan 31, 2007 17:43
There is nothing that I can see that makes Vista a must have in terms of features, the added security might be a good thing but if you do the regular checks etc then that falls by the wayside, personally I am going to give it 6 to 12 months before I think about changing, by then all the newer 45nm chips will be at a much lower price as well as all the DX10 cards.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: So...Vista' s out... - Feb 01, 2007 02:26
Yea agreed.

Considering they were really pushing Vista to the gamer crowd, you' d think they would try to start the OS on good footing in that respect. That hasn' t really been the case. We' ll see more from the nVidia benches coming soon. Their drivers may be better. And creative have obviously had problems not having DirectSound anymore.

It' ll get there eventually I' m sure, but it' ll be a fairly lengthy process I' d imagine.

I' ll be interested how dx9 performance compares to dx10 in crysis actually. I mean dx10 is meant to be all about improvements in efficiency rather than visual fidelity, and Vistas ability to handle dx9 seems to be impaired. Both dx9 and dx10 drivers are bound to be new and incomplete.

I' ll be playing Crysis in dx9 for a while methinks.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: So...Vista' s out... - Feb 01, 2007 02:56
SO Vista is out. Nothing here for me. Maybe in 2oo8 if i do plan to get a laptop it should come with this

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll