Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Initial impressions of the CoD4 beta...
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 80
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Initial impressions of the CoD4 beta... - Aug 29, 2007 16:21
I' m in the mother ***ing Call of Duty 4 beta!!!

It pays to have friends like mine, ...and with any luck i' ll get into the EU beta too!

I now need to get through the next 8 hours at work, go home and download the thing but as long as there are no unforeseen problems i' ll be playing tonight and giving my oh so very detailed impressions tomorrow.

EDIT: Who else is in? Just Eddie and Mass?
< Message edited by NITRO -- 14 Sep 07 11:32:51 >
Nitro

RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 29, 2007 20:12
I just remembered that you can' t play online without a gold account. Now i sorted a new US account out yesterday incase i managed to get an invite but i don' t have a gold membership.

Now my question is; i' ll (probably) get the 1 month gold free when i login to the US account tonight, but will that count?

If not i may be giving this token away.
< Message edited by NITRO -- 29 Aug 07 13:19:37 >
Nitro

RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 29, 2007 21:20
Nevermind, i' m all set up for gold, the token stays mine!!!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 29, 2007 22:07
funner got it too.
Nitro

RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 29, 2007 22:11

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

funner got it too.

I know, i' m going to rape him!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 30, 2007 00:05
Pst whatever I like totally been all up in the beta for some time now and will be your king and you my bitches.
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 30, 2007 03:15
1 word 2 syllables ryhmes with merchant banker...I hope you have a power cut for the next month....No I am not bitter
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: I' m in the CoD4 US BETA!!! - Aug 30, 2007 06:39
if you where bitter you would wish his 360 to red ring.
Nitro

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 07:33
Ok, i' ve been playing for 5 hours straight and everything is still fresh in my head...

I maxed out at level 11 after about 3 1/2 hours. The beta was initially going to be capped higher, but they' ve decided to cap it at 11 and then gradually increase it meaning that hopefully there will be even more to unlock the further we rank up.

I' ve only played team deathmatch because that seemed to be the mode that had the most people playing.

Of the three maps i' d say Crash was my favourite...

The other two available maps are Overgrown and Vacant..

...which are good too but Crash has more choke points and it' s the map i' ve been scoring highest on so part of my preference will be subconscious based.

The first few matches were pretty vicious and i was dying more often than killing as most players had already ranked up and unlocked the better weapons, sights and the create a class option meaning they could mix up their own perks while i was left to select from a couple of defaults.

The more you kill the more experience you get and reaching the next required amount of experience pushes your rank higher. A single kill will give you 10 points. Simple. What' s great is that you' re also issued challenges, (say 25 kills with the MP5) which upon completion gives you an extra 100 (i think) points, although the score could be different for each challenge.

Get three kills in a row and you can activate the radar which shows everybody on your team where the enemies are, get 5 and you can launch an airstrike (which is awesome to watch), and get 7 to launch a surprisingly effective attack helicopter. Alternatively, you can take down your enemies helicopter (with lots of machinegun fire or an RPG) and net yourself 250 points...

The teams are made up of Russian Spetsnaz, British SAS, Muslim “Opposing Force,” and American Marine Force Recon, and obviously these are map dependent. On Crash for example one team plays as Force Recon and the other the Muslim " Opposing Force" , ...just how matches have always been in previous CoD games. When you start you can only select from 4 or so different classes, each with pre-set perks and weapons loadouts. Of these i found the spec-ops class (complete with MP5, pistol and remote detonated C4) the most accessible as the MP5 has a decent rate of fire and is pretty accurate even at mid-long range. I was disappointed that the M4 wasn' t immediately available as i wasn' t keen on the M16' s ironsights so when playing Crash and Overgrown i pretty much stuck to the MP5, using the shotgun when playing Vacant.

The M4 is unlocked once you reach level 10 and i made that my goal for the night, but when i got to level 8 or so i unlocked the red-dot sight for the M16 which made the weapon far easier to wield and it soon became my weapon of choice. I did unlock the M4 but as with the M16 the ironsights aren' t as good as red-dot sights so for now i' ll be playing most maps with the M16/red-dot combo until i unlock the red-dot sight for the M4, which ironically will probably only happen after i' ve got a certain amount of kills WITH the damn thing. For reference, this is the M16/red-dot combo...

...and as you can see, the player didn' t get 10 points for the kill. The game gives you points for kill assists and the amount is based on how much damage you contributed to the death. I kept getting lots of 2 point assists so i' m guessing the other guys were getting 8.

From my limited experience with the M21, i' d say it was overpowered and had too little recoil. Add the fact that it' s semi-auto and not bolt-action and you can easily become a glorified death machine, just as long as you' re good with scoped weapons, ...which i' m not. Because i don' t like using scoped weapons i also found the Acog scope for the M16 useless and even though you unlock the holographic red-dot first i found it far more manageable.

Also of note are the grenades. The ability to " cook" them has made the transfer from CoD3, but don' t hold them too long or they' ll explode in your face. If a grenade lands near you you can pick it up and throw it back or try and get away from it, but more often than not you won' t manage to outrun the shrapnel and will take it in the back. There are frag grenades, smoke grenades, flashbangs and even stun grenades. If you' re injured you can actually be killed by a flashbang although it didn' t happen to me just yet.

The Vacant map, which consists of empty offices and some small outside areas is a blast (heh!) with a shotgun and 2 x RPG. If you use the Extreme Conditioning perk too you can sprint non-stop through the halls ducking into an out of the small rooms for cover when you encounter enemies and firing of an RPG at any enemies who think they can hide in those same small claustrophobic rooms.

I unlocked the create a class mode and almost exclusively used the stopping power and deep impact perks as i' d already heard that the last stand perk was pretty useless. I really wanted the martyrdom (drop a live grenade when killed) perk but it' s either not in the beta or just hasn' t been unlocked yet due to the level 11 cap...

I think my best score was 37 kills 5 deaths on Crash using the M16/red-dot combo and airstrikes. Before i got the red-dot sight for the M16 i had sucked pretty badly.

Anyway, i was briefly in a lobby with Eddie and Mass, trying to create a party and get into the same game, ...but for some reason it kept giving us an error so i didn' t actually get to kill either of them yet...

Graphically the online mode is great. Not quite as attractive as the single player gameplay we' ve seen but definitely an improvement over CoD3, one of the best looking games on the console. The character models, environmental effects (such as standing dust, sand blowing about, grass swaying etc), particle effects (explosions, smoke, sparks etc), weapon models and level detail are all excellent. Some of the environmental textures are a little flat and the game isn' t as clean as it could be but i' m not sure whether that' s a technical or stylistic thing as the sharper games get the more sterile they tend to become.

This is a screen of the spectator mode (which i didn' t experience because of instant respawns), but it gives you an idea of just how high-poly the character models are...

What i really thought were good were the run cycles and you' re players " handling" . Infinity Ward have nailed weight distribution. It takes time to slow down when sprinting and it take time to speed up. It' s hard to describe but it just feels (and looks) right.

You' re appearance is class based so there' s no Vegas-esque visual customization. You' re limited to choosing what camo, if any, you want to apply to your main weapon. This is probably a good thing because everybody would just choose a ghillie suit and you' d have to do a double take every time you past a bush, just to make sure it wasn' t another player. Plus it means you can tell from a distance what kind of weapon they' re packing.

Everything seems stable and i didn' t experience a single framerate drop. It was a constant 60fps the whole time i was playing and i was matched up with people with similar strength connections. The only slowdown i experienced was caused by shellshock after a grenade exploded right next to me. The animations for this are great, usually the guy wiping his eyes or covering his ears (when it' s somebody other than you that' s affected), but since you can' t see, hear or aim at anything (when it' s you that affected) for a few seconds you usually end up dead.

I' m going to go get another beer and jump into another game. I' ll post more tomorrow.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that your perk 1 slot bonuses (C-4, 2 x RPG' s and M203 grenade launcher) are selected using left on the D-pad. Right on the D-pad activates any kills streak rewards you have (radar, airstrike or the gunship), and up on the D-pad activates your night vision (not needed in the beta).

< Message edited by NITRO -- 30 Aug 07 12:05:42 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 19:21
mate, thats a fantastic mini-review, I can' t wait for this to hit Europe now!!
Nitro

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 19:25
You just started posting again eh?

Well welcome back
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 20:55
its Tiz right? why all the name changes, my head cant handle it!
Nitro

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 20:58
Ah, it' s Andy!

Jeez dude, this is like your 3rd name change. You sure you don' t have MPD?

VX, Tiz has changed his name?
Vx Chemical

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 21:00
Andy its that Mush" something"

See these name changes are so confusing!
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 21:14
Rule, people who change names are also not allowed to change avatars. How the hell are we supposed to know who it is?

anyway, the game sounds class Nitro, I wouldnt expect anything less from Infinity ward. is 360 your choice?
Nitro

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 21:23

ORIGINAL: Silentbomber

anyway, the game sounds class Nitro, I wouldnt expect anything less from Infinity ward. is 360 your choice?

I' ll probably get both versions because my PS3 friends list is steadily growing. I do neglect my PS3 games though when i already have the 360 version because Live is so much better than Sony' s system.

Vx Chemical

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 30, 2007 23:55
Hows the damage system nitro, how many shots to kill? Rainbow style? or?
Nitro

RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 31, 2007 00:04

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Hows the damage system nitro, how many shots to kill? Rainbow style? or?

Yeah it' s like Vegas but with far less blur. Saying that, 2 hits to the chest with an assault rifle will kill you (as long as you' re not using the extra health perk) and headshots count. Most of the time if you get hit by a bullet then you' re dead.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 31, 2007 01:18
Nice write-up Nitro..

You seem very competitive, I' m really surprised you choose the 360 to play it on?

Instead of buying two versions, You should spend your money on upgrading your PC and playing it how it should be played.

Im sayign this because Ive just come back from watching some ' PC' COD2 tourney' s at my Local Omega sector..

Ive only ever played / watched the 360 COD2 before (360 owning friends trying to tell me bullshite about it' s gameplay-scope is up there with PC' s)..

Anyway.. It was a great watch and the level of play was leagues above the very best 360 levels ive seen.. Even had ' supposedly' one of best 360 clan' s vs an average PC clan...but they got absolutely obliterated. The PC clan totally destroyed them..

If you can afford alittle PC upgrade and your serious about COD games, i' ll advise getting the PC version.. especially if you want to get the most out of the games written play mechanics..

Obviously this only applies to ' hardcore' COD fans.. I think Nitro could make a killer PC clan member with the enthusiasm he has. Just how i was once a DC q3 player and now i play for the best PC clan in england.

Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Initial impressions of the CoD4 US beta... - Aug 31, 2007 01:23
BTW, i wasnt knocking any versions of the game.. just directing / advising the hardcore fans.
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 80

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message