Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick'
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 15:45
Haha this is funny. First Sony says that the PSP is the competion to the DS and when it kicked it' s butt it says it' s the competition for the GBA and that week in japan the GBA sold more then PSPs (i' ll show you the hardware numbers to prove it). Now Sony is saying that the DS is not competition for the PSP. here is the quote

VP of studios Phil Harrison said this:
" With the DS, it' s fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen," Harrison says. " But I fear that it won' t have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that."

When it comes to discussing target audiences, it becomes painfully obvious why Harrison doesn' t believe Nintendo is competition. " Nintendo knows its target audience, because it has really narrowed that down; and it' s pretty much defined by a boy or girl' s ability to admire Pokemon," he says.

http://1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143180

the real article link can be found in the story, which is here
http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=454

Does Sony make it a hobby to hire loud mouth cocky people? Like someone said being #1 for this long has certainly inflated their ego way too much.

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 15:49
Hm...Sony also sued some internet sites spreading the PSP to europe,just because they dont want to lose some people on the paper even if they get the psp and buy games they want to count the number of sold psp into europe later to battle nintendo on some paper.

I dislike that quite much.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 15:53
Yeah i also sent Lik-Sang an email saying that it was wrong fo Sony to do that and why is it ok to import them here but not there and why now? Importing has been around since the beginning. THey emailed me back saying thanks for your support and that i made good points hehe.

Sony needs to have some sense knocked into them and spend some time in last place to humble them up some they really need it.

I am not trying to sound like a fanboy. Just they are annoying.
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 15:57
They doesnt care if they sell more PSP then DS,they only care if they sold more PSP on the paper and not about how much money they make or on how the consumers feel,they behaving like kids...
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 15:58
The mud slinging between companies is starting to get old.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:07
well it' s all sony i haven' t heard one thing Nintendo has said that was mean or like bashing to anyone. Before the DS came out they said that it wasn' t supposed to be competition because it' s totally different but then Sony is the one who said it was and now they are taking it back because they are getting their butts kicked hehe. Nintendo has outlasted lots of game machines and handhelds and even companies. I don' t see them going anywhere they had their time at the top and bottom now it' s time to go back up.

word of advice to Sony when you are at the top there is only one way to go. DOWN the law of gravity

Since Nintendo has been at the bottom the only way to go is up

Yes i am a fan of Nintendo because they have been around for 20 years and made tons of fun games they were the ones who rescued the video games industry in the 80' s when it was crashing down. Plus they make good durable hardware that lasts. THey also keep the game industry new and fresh with their new ideas.
lotusson

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:11

well it' s all sony i haven' t heard one thing Nintendo

Nintendo has spewed enough crap over the past couple years also.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:11
like what?
lotusson

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:21
I' m way too lazy to find exact quotes, just let it be known I' ve been incredibly disgusted with some of the things Nintendo has said.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:23
weird i don' t remember saying anything unless they were provoked and responded in defense.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:50
Go read the latest article about Nintendo putting down Sony and MS on the front page of Kikizo.

Still, Sony needs to shut thiers mouths. It' s all because they are scared. they are blabbing all about the PS3 as the second coming of Christ because they see the 360 as serious competition to their number one spot. I don' t think MS will come out #1, but they are still gonna loose a lot of people to them this time around. With the PSP, the Japanese are already starting to hate the thing. They just want their handheld to play games. they could care less about it' s ability to go on google. They don' t like the PSP because it doesn' t have any good games and their really aren' t any good games coming in the near future. The PSP bombed and Sony feels the need to talk it up in the hope that people will fall for thier bluff...
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 16:59
None of the companies are better then the others,i already wrote that i feel abit betrayed about what MS delivered with 360.
And sony has promised alot and have a hard time keeping it,great PR stradegy but bad for us gamers.
Nintendo for ex showed last e3,how they sold more copies of their console then xbox,which was untrue seeing how xbox had sold more then,then now they never talked about the failure of GC sales,instead they talked about how GBA sold even more as much as Ps2...and was fighting vs ps2,just because they sold equal...
I thought GC was the competetioner to ps2,not GBA.

Companies involved with billions of money will twist and turn info as much as they can to make the fans feel safe and lured.
We know gameboy sold 100 million ex but why do a gameboy micro?
people laughed at e3,even the hardcore nintendo fans,they thought as i did that it was a joke,untill that guy started to talk like it was the real deal and they got very happy suddenly and thought it looked bad ass...

Also nintendo still claim cartridge was the best choice for N64,and that dvd was a bad move by this gen,they cant admit their faults,thats what i dislike about NIntendo,they can never say:hey look we made wrong this gen but now we gonna fix that and that" they still might not include DVD next gen,then we might see games that takes 5 gb on their console at max...
And their 3rdparties are leaving them,because of their bad timing with their games that outsource the others games they scare people away from their console.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 27 Aug 05 1:01:24 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 17:33
well technically the gamecube did sell more then the xbox worldwide. I wouldn' t doubt if the GBA sold more then the PS2. It' s a haldheld and those are sell more then consoles.

Nintendo has already annocied that they wil use DVD' s plus Nintendo has some of the best comrpession technology in the world. To them DVD is plenty of space. Plus DVDs are cheap to produce so i think that wa sa smart move to keep games costs down.
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 17:39
Yes by like 300.000 copies,xbox had come very close at that time,and sold a lot faster and was gaining on them,it was just like 1 month more or two before xbox would go over GC,and they did.
Xbox has sold more then GC now.
But remember you write that Sony was gonna fight NDS but then changed to GBA?
Well if GC was to fight off ps2 but coulndn' t, then suddenly talks like GBA is the counter vs ps2 then they do the same thing.

They doesnt wanna share numbers of GC,but they can with portables because they do well.
But then again just pokémon alone could sell off next portable machine for Nintendo.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 17:44
the Xbox is a way distant third in Japan and the rest of the world. The only place the xbox did good was in the US and i think decent in UK but world wide the gamecube did MUCH better. The xbox did not even sell half million in Japan.
QuezcatoL

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 17:48
Actually your wrong, xbox sold better worldwide especially in USA,and it sold " ok" in europe.
Remember this is number from may,and not from australia/eastern europe and some asia countries like KOREA but xbox sold better,my brother gaved me a pic + info before about that in june.

Anyway here is his pic from may...
Also here we can see that GBA sold as much as Ps2.
But we doesnt see sales from korea and china for ex.

What xbox lost in japan it took back in the states.
< Message edited by QuezcatoL -- 27 Aug 05 1:50:00 >
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 17:57
interesting. although it' s funny how the PS1 sold better then the PS2 i did not know that. It' s also funny that the old GBA sold more then the SP and now they are releasing the micro which is basically the samr thing just more compact. I guess the reason for it is because people love their small cell phone and playing games on it so Nitnendo saw that as a challenge to jump on that bandwagon to make more money :-p i just hope we get the play-yan that is being bundled with it in japan. i' d buy it just for the play-yan then my ds will also play MP3' s and movie files just like the PSP. Plus to keep up my collection i have every incarnation of the gameboy so might as well keep up my collection
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 18:47

,and not from australia/eastern europe and some asia countries like KOREA

The Xbox did well in Australia too. It' s performance mirrored that of America. Just on a smaller scale
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 27 Aug 05 2:48:27 >
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 18:48
Well, this " gimmick" is beating Sony' s ass with a bat.... a wise-crack won' t sell more PSP' s, especially in Japan, where the love for Sony' s handheld is dwindling like leaves in autumn.

And Phoenixxx, Xbox has been, and is at the moment, owning the gamecube. Technical or not, Xbox is kicking GCN' s butt like there' s no tomorrow.
< Message edited by Jason Zeidan -- 27 Aug 05 2:52:19 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Sony Calls DS ' Gimmick' - Aug 26, 2005 19:32
Phil Harrison has a bad habit of shoving his foot deep down his own throat. This isn' t the first time he' s said something stupid and it won' t be the last.. I remember either he OR an EA official once saying: " If the Dreamcast sells one million units, I' ll eat my shorts." Sadly he never honored that after the Dreamcast smashed through the one-million mark several weeks after launch.

Last I read, the Xbox sold around 21-22 million units worldwide whereas the GameCube sold around 18-19 million units worldwide.

I still find it a little amazing how Japan seems to have absolutely NO love for the Xbox, thank goodness in a situation kind of similar to that of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, the Xbox may be floundering in Japan but is doing well elsewhere.. The Genesis/Mega Drive got its ass kicked good and hard in Japan by the PC Engine and Super Famicom but did more than well enough in the U.S. and Europe to help carry the slack for Japan.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 27 Aug 05 3:36:16 >
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread