Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Lost Planet impressions
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 19:23
I received the game on Wednesday and i' ve have played through the first 6 hours so far and to be honest, i' m pretty underwhelmed.

I' ve been looking forward to Lost Planet for the past year. The single-player demo blew me away, especially because it was released in July and the game had 6 months worth of development time left. I figured that with it being Capcom developed and the demo being so good that it would have as big an effect [on me] as Gears of War, but unfortunately it just ain' t so...

Lost Planet isn' t a bad game by far. In fact, it' s a great game. It looks gorgeous, (though very little has changed graphically since the single player demo) and plays fluidly. It reminds me of Dreamcast games for some reason, it' s hard to explain, but it has that comfortable arcadeness about it.

What i don' t like is the story, or at least how it' s conveyed. The cutscenes, voiceovers, general premise, etc.. are terrible. The art direction kind of saves the cutscenes but they' re certainly not up to Capcom' s usual high standards and certainly not what i expected from them after the badass cutscenes in Dead Rising. The voice work is ridiculous and while the games core premise is sound, the characters are so camp that the story comes across badly.

In my first encounter with the Snow Pirates i found myself laughing at their voices. These guys don' t sound like the hardened vicious enemies they should, ...they sound, ...lame. The human AI is retarded, in that if you shoot a guy with a sniper rifle from a distance, the guy standing right next to him doesn' t even notice. It' s very very basic. It' s not a huge problem though because the game is a run and gun shooter and nothing more, ...the enemies are there to attack and die, and they do.

The controls are fine, but i did have to turn the sensitivity up to 8 for it to feel right as it' s initially way too stiff and slow. Turn it up however and it' s as fluid as you could possibly want, meaning that the only other (control) problem being that you can' t look straight up. Now i' d read IGN' s review and thought that not being able to look straight up wouldn' t be a major issue, but it is. In fact, not being able to look straight up is actually pretty retarded and you definitely notice it, specifically when fighting flying enemies.

The enemy character and level design are flawless, with both human and bugs looking great and the environments looking amazing. The friendly NPC' s that appear in cutscenes however are dreadfully camp! But meh, you can skip the cutscenes anyway. The bugs though are some of the best enemies i' ve even seen, the bosses are unbelievably stunning!

Overall the first half of the game has been fun, i' d just expected more from such a talented developer. Perhaps i' ve been spoiled by Gears of War...
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 12 Jan 07 11:40:27 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 19:27
Your forgetting Mass Effect, that game will rock,

I wish i had the cash to get Lost Planet, but i dont, ill be sasving my money for " the masterpieces"
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 19:41
Mass Effect will own everything this year but MGS4 and Heavenly Sword, seriously Majik u have nothing to fear, once Bioware era done im sure it will live up to the hype.

I was so exited bout Lost Planet, then xbox360.ign gave it the 8.5 but i realised they are just plain stupid, then 1up.com gave it 6.5, well, it cant be coincidence... too bad, i hope the secuel will be better.
< Message edited by fernandino -- 12 Jan 07 11:42:00 >
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 20:41
Not sure if Masss Effect will own H3 or H wars but we will have to see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on LP though Majik.
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 20:54
Mass Efect looks just amazing, it looks like it has everything a great game needs, the plot, the gameplay, the innovation, the vehicles, the music, the deept and so on, my only fear its that it wont be too open, u know, travel from one spot to the next, i fear switching settings will be like moving from one room to another
< Message edited by fernandino -- 12 Jan 07 13:00:52 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 20:54
Here' s my view on Halo:
EVERYTHING will own Halo 3. I think they were lucky with the first game and made some no brainer updates in the sequal.
Halo 3 will be good, I' m sure of it, but it won' t be so great as you hope. It will still get awesome review scores because no one will admit it actually didn' t live up to expectations.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 12, 2007 22:11

Not sure if Masss Effect will own H3 or H wars but we will have to see what happens. Thanks for the heads up on LP though Majik.

MassEffect will have a better story, thats for sure.

Here' s my view on Halo:
EVERYTHING will own Halo 3. I think they were lucky with the first game and made some no brainer updates in the sequal.
Halo 3 will be good, I' m sure of it, but it won' t be so great as you hope. It will still get awesome review scores because no one will admit it actually didn' t live up to expectations.

I think they did Halo 1 correctly, then sat on their asses and did Halo 2 in 8 months. Halo 3 will be ruined by the new features (which will unbalance and allow new players to kill veterans with ease).
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 02:50
So does LP suck as bad as it did on the live demo? I was considering renting it but if they didnt change anything since the demo, i wont waist $5 on it
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 05:23
Damn it' s sitting in the office I usually collect my mail from, locked up cos staff have gone home for the weekend!

I think I might like it more than most reviews have given it credit for. A lot of people will be comparing it to Gears but I' ll hopefully be playing it with fresh eyes as a different game completely, since I didn' t think Gears was the best game ever, especially the SP story..

Then again, maybe LP really is a bit poo after all. Have to see after the w/end.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 06:46

once Bioware era done im sure it will live up to the hype.
Whatever, I don' t care what they do before Fallout 3. I' ve been waiting for too long for that game!

I' ve just played LP at a friend' s house, & honestly, it serves the purpose. In contrast, I think it' s a bit better than CoD:3, also an 8.5 game from most sources, if only because it isn' t anything rehashed, & you can see that they tried to polish it, again unlike CoD:3.

The controls are a problem when fighting Akrid, like Majik said, but I' m so poor at fighting airial enemies anyway, it doesn' t really matter much. I swear, it' s like a serious handicap I' ve got!

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 07:00
So would you honestly say it is worth the money? I am in need of something till ME comes out and Assasins creed, Smackdown Vs Raw just doesn' t do it anymore, neither does TDU.
Nitro

RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 07:42
Ok, put it this way; if Gears and Rainbow Six hadn' t been released yet then Lost Planet would probably be the best game available for people who like shooters. It has issues but they' re minor.

Graphically only Gears and Rainbow Six are nicer, and even then the environments in Lost Planet are probably nicer than those in Rainbow Six because of the superb use of lighting, and the excellent weather effects. The game is more visually impressive than Dead Rising, GRAW, Oblivion COD3 etc, and the cave sections actually rival Gears for wowness

The controls are fine, i just needed to turn the sensitivity up. Everything else apart from the inability to look directly upwards is ok. I would have liked a dive mechanic though as when you' re facing off with a VS on foot you just get knocked around by rocket after rocket.

The story is bad and it only gets worse. There' s zero depth and zero character development. It doesn' t make an awful lot of sense and the characters are lame. The cutscenes are used to set up the next stage and that it. They' re all in-engine which is fine but to be honest, i' d much rather they' d actually used CG like in the theater trailer. It' s a same really because the general premise could allow for a superb Halo-esque epic storyline but it' s been executed very poorly. Usually i love Capcoms' s cutscenes but these are almost laughable.

The combat is satisfying and there' s a good mix of enemies, but the humans are retarded and the snow pirates say stupid things like " why me?" as they die. The game is pretty much all about the larger bugs and the smaller creatures are simply cannon fodder. The main focus of the game is the boss fights, each of which is amazing. They have weak points and attack patterns, ...this is and old-school blaster at heart. When you encounter this guy...

...you won' t know what to do.

The mechs, or VS' s as they' re called in the game are badass. There' s a decent selection and the interchangeable weapons mean everybody' s catered for. You get to use them in every stage too which is cool, ...they' re important t the game and while you can get through without them you probably won' t want to. I seriously hope Capcom make a mech based game now. The way they move is perfect and with the weather effects and explosions ect they could make a seriously cool Armored Core-esque title.

The game is pretty easy. I' d recommend playing on normal first time around, or even hard. I haven' t tried easy but normal is easier than i expected. It' s not all that long, maybe 9-11 hours, but it' s a game i' m going to be playing through again so i don' t mind. It' s a couple of hours longer than GRAW too so i' m not going to complain.

The multiplayer is superb, but i loved the online demo too and i know some people hated it, so it' s obviously a love it or hate it kinda thing. It' s fun, and that' s the main thing. The team based modes are great but it' s obviously not very tactical. The OTT weapons and VS' s really come into their own online. I' d probably have bought the game just for the online, but again, i really liked the demo.

Would i recommend buying it? Hell yes. I think i came across as a little too negative in my original post. Comparing it to Gears probably isn' t that fair, but Capcom said they wanted the same kind of pace as Halo and while they' ve achieved that they' ve forgotten that Halo has a decent storyline. Lost Planet is pure action and i' ll skip the cutscenes in my next playthrough as they hold no importance whatsoever.

Again, it' s one of the consoles best games, and if it' d been released prior to Gears i' d likely have been raving about it, but if Epic can supply a game with a decent-ish narrative and cool cutscenes, why can' t Capcom? It' s one of the things that would have just expected. Especially after the multiple trailers showing parts of the cutscenes and the viral websites. That and the minor control issues let the game down slightly, otherwise it' s great.

I can' t shake this Dreamcast feeling though, and i can' t quite put my finger on why Lost Planet reminds me of Dreamcast games....
< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 12 Jan 07 23:43:40 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 08:19
If Gears Story is good compared to this? then really, I never want to come 5miles near the game.
immortaldanmx

RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 08:57

If Gears Story is good compared to this? then really, I never want to come 5miles near the game.

Lol. Gears always hinted at a deeper plot(marcus' father, the trial, the locust origin) but it always hinted and never did anything with it.
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 10:02
360 fans loves hyping games to unknown levels.

X is not as good as i thought but Y will be the one..

Y is not as good a i thought but Z will be the one..

If Mass effect turns out a let down.. i hope ull learn from your lessons by that time.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 10:06
The Story in that game [Gears] is just a plain mess, A trained monkey would write something with more Structure. Hell i bet Zelda has better Character Development.

Gears Story has a good foundation, the crazy guys Locust are coming up from the ground and killing everybody. Fenix and co Are just going underground and killing everybody, deploying some bomb, and then going back to his house for some reaseach or something, and then ending up on a train for some god damn reason and then something blows up, which I never seen before or knew about, but it looked important, so then the game ends [of course with the old ' this isn' t over yet' sequel talk].

Everytime you read that Paragraph somebody in the world is just watching that ending and complaining the game is too short.

Nitro

RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 10:57
Yeah, but it serves its purpose better than Lost Planet' s cutscenes. I mean, the dialogue in Gears is actually good and while the characters are generic stereotypes they fit the scene.

Anyway, i said " decent-ish" narrative, not Oscar winning. It' s all relative, and in relation to Lost Planet - Gears has a better story.

f3, i' m still waiting to see your projector. I' ve been looking for one and i want to see how it actually looks in a room with a feed going to it. It doesn' t have to be anything fancy, maybe just your Dreamcast or something, i' d replay F355 Challenge using it if i get one...
immortaldanmx

RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 11:34

If Mass effect turns out a let down.. i hope ull learn from your lessons by that time.

How about you keep your fanboy mouth shut on topics you dont know about. Do you even know Biowares track record? Have you played their last 2 games(KOTOR and Jade Empire)? Oh, thats right, you havent, but you feel like you should turn a debate about Lost Planet vs Gears of War into a " 360 fans hype games too much" thread.

You want hype? Red Steel ring a bell? So keep your fanboy statements to yourself.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 15:57

360 fans loves hyping games to unknown levels.

X is not as good as i thought but Y will be the one..

Y is not as good a i thought but Z will be the one..

Lol, your so funny, there a better chance that VF5 will be bad than Mass Effect will.

You the truest fanboy in this forum, be it a VF5 fanboy or a Wii one, i dont care, but you still sound like an idiot more often than not
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Lost Planet impressions - Jan 13, 2007 20:01
Ban the 6 letter f-word. Everyone is a fan of games here, whether they suck at Gears of War or not.

Anyway, I still havn' t had a chance to play the PS3 yet to compare. I get to have a shot of the Wii today though!! That' s awesome, because from the shops I' ve called I don' t think I' ll get one before March now!!!

Incidentally, I think the story line in Gears of War was great, apart from the fact it didn' t have one. I mean, because it didn' t have one. And the cheesy dialogue hits the spot perfectly. If earth was invaded by evil aliens, I' d want those guys fighting them to save my arse!

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 57

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message