Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 37
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 24, 2006 22:37
I' ll start by saying I' ve never played God of War, but I was always interested to see what all the fuss was about. So I just checked out a vid of the E3 playable demo for GoW2 (not gears of war 2.. ), and geez that game looks painfully bad.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/4299

The gameplay looks repetitive and annoying. You go all the way round this level shouting, " Raa! Rrraa! Ugh! ooH! raAA!" for about 10 minutes, just to push off a cliff one heavy non-descript block thing you needed at the beginning, to chuck this roof into the lava, so you can get across and obtain a ' special' item that was just sitting there for no reason. Likelyhood is you' ll have to go through the same palaver just to use it.

The animations are pretty awful too. Some things just don' t look right at all.

No change in pace, no sense of accomplishment or context. You kill one thing, and another one comes along, you kill that and another two appear. Even the guy playing the demo seemed to get annoyed at some parts, trying to get the R1 icon to appear, randomly hitting walls out of frustration.

Seems like yet another game with great artistic design, but no sense of creativity in the gameplay whatsoever.

So does anyone know why David Jaffe ended up being such a hero? Was it just a graphics thing? Or is GoW2 just rubbish compared to the first one?...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 24, 2006 22:46
the first god fo war was a very very good game, what you thought was annoying, people think is fun, i think is fun, it' s a la old school but with the new tech and stuff, i loved it, take basicaly castlevania, don' t you almost do the same thing, kill that then the same one arrive and oyu kill it and so on ... it' s almost the same thing, and people love those games cus it' s fun...

now i saw the trailer (gameplay) on gametrailers like 1 month ago and i was extremly impressed , i hope this sequel will live up to its expectations.
choupolo

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 24, 2006 23:15
Sure the old 2d castlevanias and the like were loads of fun. The animations and gamplay were all top notch for a scrolling 2d platformer. A lot is left to the players imagination, so it works.

But when you want to create 3d worlds, I feel as though you have to step things up a notch, and need to put in a lot more work into animations, controls and game design etc just to make them seem relevant. Otherwise you really notice the repetitiveness and lack of context. At least I do.

As technology becomes more advanced, you tend to have to put in more work to achieve the same results. You know, it' s like how better resolution monitors or higher definition sound hardware can really bring out the lack of detail in textures and sounds of older media, however great they were in their day. So game mechanics and animations require better detail and context to keep up too. GoW2 just didn' t have that imho.

I dunno if any of that made sense, heh! I suppose I was just wondering if people felt the same way, but if people actually liked it, then I can' t really judge. I guess it' s just not for me.

(I did like Devil May Cry though, which seems like a similar type of thing..)
< Message edited by choupolo -- 24 Jun 06 15:29:28 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 24, 2006 23:21
This is just more of the same. The first game plays exactly the same way as this does, and the first game while highly regarded in many peoples eyes needed some improvements.

It looks to me, that the issues present in the first game haven' t been worked out for the sequel. It' s just another Sony game that hasn' t been given the attention it deserves so that they can get it out of the door as quickly as possible.

It' s graphically impressive, especially for a PS2 game, but in all honesty they should have saved it for the PS3' s launch and really put some serious effort into making it great.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 24, 2006 23:43

ORIGINAL: Majikdra6on

It' s just another Sony game that hasn' t been given the attention it deserves so that they can get it out of the door as quickly as possible.

Maybe they want to finish it fast so they can get working on a PS3 game as soon as possible?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 24 Jun 06 18:01:58 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 01:58
they allready had a big expensive game ewngine made for the orginal god of war, It will come to ps3, no doubt, but Porting it so quickly would not be cost effective and that expensive engine would just go to waste. instead they are making a sequal on the ps2 with that engine. Yea, its more of the same with some nice new added gameplays things.

I suppose the True sequal is god of war 3. But Katros still kicks much ass.
]GaNgStA[

• Total Posts : 2949
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 06:20

The gameplay looks repetitive and annoying.

Playing=believing as Nintendo people put it - watching someone playing tetris won' t give you any idea of the gameplay behind it.

GoW was an awesome game - truly awesome.

I haven' t played GoW2 ofc but I know they plan to make it an extension of first one - getting further with story and adding some slight touches.

IT will Rock , no doubt :)

Like everyone I' d love to see it on PS3 , but it would be stupid on their part not to use their PS2 tools and engine - and there are 80mln PS2 systems worldwide so ...you get the idea :)
Nitro

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 09:16

GoW was an awesome game - truly awesome.

It WASN' T awesome at all. It was nice in that the art direction, cutscenes, boss fights etc were great, but the animations, number of available moves and control mechanics were horrible.

Sure, it crushed all but the DMC series (forgetting number 2 because it was awful!) on PS2, but comparing it cross platform with Ninja Gaiden/Black and it doesn' t fare very well at all.

There' s nothing completely wrong with God of War, it justwasn' t as polished as it could have been and it was waaaaaaaaaay too easy. The magic attacks were rubbish too. It definately doesn' t have any replay value.

The sequel looks like one of the most graphically impressive titles on PS2, and LOOKS more impressive graphically than most Gamecube and Xbox games. It also looks to be more of the same with very little new apart from the levels and maybe some new moves. That' s why i probably won' t buy it.

Perhaps they should let Ninja Theory make God of War 3?!
]GaNgStA[

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 18:55
As a full gaming experience I put GoW above Ninja Gaiden for story, amazing locations and that feeling of awesome adventure with incredible beginning and even beter ending.

Ninja Gaiden is 10/10 when it comes to gameplay,it has cool graphics , but most places were boring to me and I didn' t get involved with the story or any other aspect than amazing gameplay.

It' s true that NG has much better fighting system and pure gameplay (and that' s why I play it years after finishing it) , but GoW was an awesome game (all those awards aren' t wrong - they' ve earned every single one of them).

I know some people who don' t like what GoW has to offer and I' m not forcing them to change their minds , but It' s hard to understand people who call it crap or something like that.

I liked DMC1 , didn' t play DMC2 and tried DMC3 after all the hype - I don' t know what people like about it.I didn' t feel a thing while playing - very poor gameplay imo.
Nitro

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 20:34
DMC3 sucked in your opinion?!

The first game was awesome, the 2nd was complete rubbish and the third game was more like the first in that it rocked!

Some people couldn' t complete it, and others struggled to get past the first boss. Those are the guys who didn' t like it methinks!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 21:00
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 22:09
DMC3 was very good, very deep and very hard.

Anybody who says the gameplay is poor obviously didnt very far in the game.
choupolo

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 22:33

As a full gaming experience I put GoW above Ninja Gaiden for story, amazing locations and that feeling of awesome adventure with incredible beginning and even beter ending.

I guess you' re right, none of that would come through watching that vid. I' ll just have to play it and see eventually (and believe!).
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 22:47
...whilst Ninja Gaiden obviously owns God of war, i' d be very surprised if most don' t find GOW fun to play.....

....if you didn' t like NG or DMC, then you probably won' t like GOW either...

...you might want to check you pulse also...
choupolo

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 25, 2006 23:46
Well I already said I loved DMC (1+3). But DMC had a huge variety of moves that were all animated in such a cool way. You kinda had fun doing the same hack and slash moves on hundreds of tough enemies, but being a bit creative as you' re going along.

I just found it funny how Kratos just runs around going Raa Raaaa all the time in the video. It was almost as basic and repetitive as some of the hack and slashing you have to do on some mmos and rpgs. But then maybe it was just the way the demoer was playing the game. I mean, are there any more moves?
]GaNgStA[

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 26, 2006 04:49

Those are the guys who didn' t like it methinks!

maybe - I didn' t get into it more than a couple of fights - I just didn' t like it - not even a bit - the 1st one was great that' s for sure, but the story was dumb (still it' s not a story driven game)

I don' t know why, but I just didn' t enjoy it - especially since this game is in direct competition with ninja gaiden where it doesn' t stand a chance.
Nitro

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 26, 2006 05:14

Some people couldn' t complete it, and others struggled to get past the first boss. Those are the guys who didn' t like it methinks!

Anybody who says the gameplay is poor obviously didnt very far in the game.

maybe - I didn' t get into it more than a couple of fights

It' s true. My brother couldn' t get past the first 3 headed boss (what' s the damn do with three heads called?) and gave up after 2 weeks. Since then he' s always said the game sucked ass.

The funny thing though is that the guy behind the series claimed in an interview that he met Team Ninja and after seeing how popular Ninja Gaiden was he decided to ramp up the difficulty for DMC3.

Personally i LOVE hard games. I thnk that' s one of the reasons why Ninja Gaiden is so cool. It' s not for girls!
Xbox3iiSiiTii

• Total Posts : 6
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 26, 2006 05:17
i can' t play god of war

i feel that im being pulled out of the immersion that videogames provide everytime a ps2-button-icon pops up in the screen

besides, i' ll take the alphabetical order of the buttons, A-B-X-Y over the X-O-square-triangle any day of the week

it just doesn' t make sense, i have never known where are the damn buttons on that damn controller when a game requires me to push one of those shapes!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 26, 2006 05:23

ORIGINAL: Xbox3iiSiiTii

besides, i' ll take the alphabetical order of the buttons, A-B-X-Y over the X-O-square-triangle any day of the week

it just doesn' t make sense, i have never known where are the damn buttons on that damn controller when a game requires me to push one of those shapes!

Well you know, the japanese have never been fans of the western alphabet.
They always use shapes when they try to write something but it always look stupid
I guess that' s why it' s so hard to read japanese.
Nitro

RE: God of War 2 - looks painfully annoying! - Jun 26, 2006 05:28

They always use shapes when they try to write something but it always look stupid

It' s probably a good thing that we don' t have any Japanese regular posters!
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 37

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message