Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 LCD TV Opinion
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
LCD TV Opinion - Nov 26, 2007 23:00
so its that time of year when everyone splurges on new stuff. Finally going to get an HD tv, and got it down to two possibles: Toshiba 37X3030DB and Panasonic TX-37LZD70.

Both came off reasonably well in a recent Which test, and both have good deals on at the moment.

Anyone seen either in action or got any opinions on how they look (well of course you' ve got opinions but anything constructive)?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: LCD TV Opinion - Nov 26, 2007 23:15
I don' t know anything about those two particular models, but just be wary about comparing " contrast ratios" between them. Most (but not all) manufacturers test their contrast at full black and full white to achieve their numbers. Since not all manufacturers do it this way (I don' t have a list of who does and doesn' t), it is not a reliable test. Judge with your own eyes. A black and white checkerboard pattern would be a far better test of contrast ratio.

Reader reviews from owners are helpful as is asking general questions about them on the AVS forums. I' d also advise looking at them yourself in the store. Just be warned that most store salespeople are morons and the TVs will likely not be calibrated very well.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: LCD TV Opinion - Nov 28, 2007 09:58
just buy whatever tv joe tells you to buy.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: LCD TV Opinion - Nov 28, 2007 14:31
a lot of places they don' t even have HD sources playing on their tvs. Go to a store that only sells HDTVs. Nothing else, no washers, dryers or anything, just HDTVs. The employees will actually know what they' re selling.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: LCD TV Opinion - Nov 29, 2007 10:19
I dont know about every Best Buy around the world, but my two local ones actually hire employees that know what they' re talking about. When I bought mine I went to some places who didn' t know what LCD meant.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll