Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 When did Blu-Ray become Slo-ray?
Wolfjack

• Total Posts : 36
When did Blu-Ray become Slo-ray? - Oct 22, 2006 10:38
I remember reading up on the blurb about Blu-ray ages ago as they compared the pros and cons of it to those of HD-DVD. I' m sure I had read that a benefit of Blu-ray is that the discs can be read at higher speeds because the data is packed much tighter, whereas to achieve the same bit-rates, a HD-DVD would need to be spun at a higher speed.

Surely this means that Blu-Ray discs should have very short loading times? So what is the excuse for the PS3 apparently having atrociously long PS2 style loading times?

I think it' s the fault of the architects at Sony. They' re repeating the mistake they made in the design flaw of the PS2, and once again they' ve made a machine with that same flaw. They just didn' t think of improving against that and stop wasting our time with incessant loading delays.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: When did Blu-Ray become Slo-ray? - Oct 22, 2006 11:41

the discs can be read at higher speeds because the data is packed much tighter, whereas to achieve the same bit-rates, a HD-DVD would need to be spun at a higher speed.

hahahahaha
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: When did Blu-Ray become Slo-ray? - Oct 22, 2006 12:32
The lies...

PS3 uses a 2x Blu-Ray drive with a transfer speed of 72Mbits/s or 9MB/s

Xbox 360 uses a 12x DVD with a transfer speed of 16MB/s

The thruth...

Xbox 360 uses a CAV drive. It only achieves 12x for approx 15% of the outer disc and 5x on the inner ring, with an average of approx 8x. The drive also max' s out at 8x for dual layer (DVD9) discs and so since virtually all games are on DVD9, it' s only reading at 8x maximum. While the specs for peak performance (16MB/s) are correct, it' s peak performance and not what the system operates at in general use. For most loading it only achieves a transfer rate of about 10MB/s.

PS3 on the other hand uses a CLV drive and has a transfer rate of 8-9MB/s under all circumstances.

The difference is negligible and i' m bored of the same old argument. Some 360 games have long loading times, some are blazingly fast, it will be the same for PS3.

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 22 Oct 06 4:35:35 >
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: When did Blu-Ray become Slo-ray? - Oct 22, 2006 12:45
Some PS2 games have fast load times as well, it depends on the developer.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll