Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 09, 2007 23:48
GI.BIZ

Not a bad interview overall, but certain things caught my eye.

" Were there any specific challenges you faced trying to port the prior games over to the Wii?

The biggest challenge was probably moving the Xbox shaders over to the Wii. We moved skeletal mesh processing over to the CPU, and re-wrote the pixel shaders to Wii' s fixed-function pipeline. Overall, the lighting, water, particle effects look just about like they did on the Xbox.

Have you been able to get the same level of graphical detail that you were able to reach in the Xbox game with the Wii, or is it closer to the PS2 version?

Closer to the Xbox for sure - The Wii version actually utilizes higher resolution textures than the original Xbox version. As a result, the fidelity of the world is actually quite a bit improved – it' s really noticeable in 480p.

So... they' re asking if the game is going to be able to match up with their last generation performance? What the hell?!

I mean, I' m aware the hardware on the Wii isn' t anything to write home about, that' s not really debatable. However, to say, " Well, we didn' t bother tweaking the game any, it looks about as good as the game we made 3 years ago on 6 year old hardware. Get excited!" ...

Maybe I' m reading too deeply into it, but, it makes it sound like the developers aren' t really trying, because the industry doesn' t expect jack-squat from the Wii anymore.

Edit: This isn' t going to become a flamebait thread. If you don' t have anything constructive to say, keep it elsewhere.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 9 Sep 07 15:48:52 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 01:01
What' s the point in putting a shitload of money and effort into creating the best game possible on the hardware if you' re not going to drastically improve sales over a simple port?

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 01:08

So... they' re asking if the game is going to be able to match up with their last generation performance? What the hell?!

I don' t understand the surprise here. Wii=Xbox 1.1 minus programmable shaders. We already knew this.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 01:18
It' s the mentality behind it Ghost.

3rd party developers aren' t being encouraged to make fantastic looking games because the industry isn' t expecting anything of them. That' s one thing I didn' t expect.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 02:05
what the hell, since when could the Wii do Ps2 graphics?!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 02:30
rayman looks a lot like a ps2 game to me, same tech , same kind of textures and aliasing... also, the only game that really interests me so far is Zelda , a gamecube game, how sad is that ... this news is also disapointing, come on they can do better than that ! look at Metroid Corrupotion, the best exemple that the wii call pull off some great graphics that can rivals next gen game (according to some critics).
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 02:37
I doubt they think it' s fun to port games. If they made an original game for the Wii then they' d probably give graphics some more time since they' d be more engaged in the product. But a several years old port.... c' mon who' d like to spend too much time on something like that?
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 03:01
As majik said, theres not enough money in it to send so much time and effort on a port of an old game on not far superior hardware that is not going to do much for the system.

In that i mean that even if they did do it ground up and it looked better, the general idea is people who buy the wii don' t do it for the mind blowing IQ but rather the fun aspect and the controller etc.

Besides i think xbox level visual are better than what a lot of people seem to be putting out on the system
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Odd Brothers in Arms Wii Interview - Sep 10, 2007 03:09
Only problem is, BiA wasn' t the most fantastic looking game to begin with on the original Xbox. (don' t even get me started on the PS2)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll