Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Adam Doree Toca 2
jars

• Total Posts : 148
Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 29, 2004 16:56
I was really looking forward to Adam Doree' s review of TOCA 2. But someone else did the review. So how ' bout it Adam? can you just give me a one sentence statement as to what you think of the game? Is it really everything that PGR2 is but at 60fps? and most importantly... if i were to get just one game, should it be Rallisport 2? or TOCA 2?

Sorry, it' s just that your insights when it comes to racing games are like gold to me.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 29, 2004 19:27
Hey jars, thanks for the kind words, it' s nice to know my views on the racing genre are appreciated.

I agree pretty much with Alex' s review of Race Driver 2. I went on and on about the visual quality and production values a while back in the hands-on we did, so you' ll know how highly I regard the game' s visuals.

Back then, only preview code of Rallisport 2 was available and the game had some serious framerate issues, although the weather and lighting effects looked totally awesome. However in the final version of RSC2, the framerate is a flawless 60 which puts it up there with Race Driver 2 in my book.

However in gameplay terms - while I have not spent nearly as much time with RSC2 - I think Race Driver is streets ahead. It feels real and true to life while not massively over the top, it is very challenging, in the league of GT4 Prologue for anyone who' s played that... whereas RSC2 feels like a relatively boring arcade racing experience in my opinion, it would be great for a quick Sega Rally style blast, but as a game structured to be a proper world championship, as all these latest titles are, the gameplay seems way too thin. Then you have to remember also that Race Driver offers a whole range of different kinds of vehicles to master (I haven' t got far enough to get those trucke yet though like Alex claims!)

Gotham 2 is unbeatable for a flashy, big name package of awesome cities and comprehensive vehicle line-up, complimented by very impressive game and challenge design, but it does not pretend to be a proper racing sim like GT4, and that is why it' s such a great game. Race Driver 2, on the other hand, pretty much does pretend to be GT4 albeit less serious without the tuning and stuff, and succeeds as a result.

Forza Mortorsport will supposedly take GT4 head on (complete with tuning aplenty) but from the version playable at E3 it has a long way to go yet to even scratching GT4' s paintwork.

So in the meantime, provided you already have PGR2, then yep, I' d say Race Driver 2 is a goer. It doesn' t feel as exciting as Gotham 2 (if that' s what you' re expecting) but it' s an awesome racing package that any enthusiast will love.

Of course, you could always take a look at GT4 as well, which basically, is the ultimate.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 29, 2004 19:36
also TOCA is only $30 (US)
HydroGen

• Total Posts : 52
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 30, 2004 04:00
I want my SEGA interviews
jars

• Total Posts : 148
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 30, 2004 10:36
Thanks for giving me more than a one sentence insight Adam. :P

Then i guess... TOCA it is.
I just hope that since it' s $30 in the U.S., it would translate proportionally to the exchange rate here!
< Message edited by jars -- 5/30/2004 10:41:33 AM >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - May 30, 2004 12:56

ORIGINAL: HydroGen

I want my SEGA interviews

They' re coming!
We' re just finishing off the masive video coverage blowout first. Easily the biggest and best anywhere (available free) if I say so myself.
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - Jun 03, 2004 04:04
After my Kikizo copy gets here I want a piece of all of you!
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - Jun 03, 2004 04:58
O ya is on man it is definatly on!

...If I ever renew my Live subscription.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Adam Doree Toca 2 - Jun 07, 2004 00:51
Toca 2 is definitely a great, challenging game. The control does take some time to get used to, however. Do not try to powerslide in this game unless you are in the rally mode. It is easy to go into a spin in this game... almost too easy. There will be many times when you suddenly find yourself facing the wrong way. You will also restart races many, many times. If you don' t do close to perfect, you can' t finish first.

I haven' t figured out how the placements work, though. sometimes I will start out in 4th in the starting grid, win the race, and the next race I am 11th! What da hell? When you start 11th and are racing some old green Jaguar, it is impossible to finish 1st. And very challenging to finish 3rd or 2nd. But it can be done.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll