Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Xbox gets DivX
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Xbox gets DivX - Nov 10, 2007 23:32

Davis Freeberg of Seeking Alpha has the scoop of the imminent DivX certification for the Xbox 360:

DivX (DIVX) followed up Tuesday night’s earnings report with a presentation at the JP Morgan SmMid cap conference. JP Morgan analyst Paul Coster coyly probed Kevin Hell about whether or not we were about to see DivX support on the Xbox 360. The question seemed to catch Hell off guard, and while his initial reaction was enthusiasm, there was something about his tone that suggested that Coster might be onto something.

“Just a minor point here, but there was a recent Microsoft (MSFT) conference where I believe their media extender now incorporates the DivX codec on it, is that correct? Can you confirm that and does that mean we’re soon going to see Xboxes with DivX on them?

Keving Hell - “Yes! that, uh, we’re in discussions with Microsoft on that at this point in time, so I can’t go into any great detail on that. Um that is not a certified, that is not a certified or licensed product at this time.”

Thats a step in the right direction.
Ornodeal

• Total Posts : 645
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 05:48
DivX support was mentioned in that supposed fake list of fall update contents that did the rounds a few weeks back, so maybe this is coming sooner than you think.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 09:02
I hope XviD Support will be included, too. I dont need DivX at all, XviD on the other hand would be awesome.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 14:28
You can play divx on your 360 if you use winamp remote. It works just like the windows media connect thing, except you run winamp remote on your computer instead. It is very nice. I also use it to listen to my 80 gigs of music while I' m at work.
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 15:13
And the advantages of DivX are?
locopuyo

RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 15:21
divx isn' t really that great, but a lot of video files are in that format and it is a big hassle to convert them to be able to play them on 360.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 18:19
This is what PC' s are for.
Grant Delmore

• Total Posts : 76
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 18:41
So this is more about Streaming capabilitys then anything else, I see well i dont think streaming stuff to your xbox is all that great anyway, I mean why not just play it from your Pc instead of wasting your time setting up media extender and all that :\
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 11, 2007 21:58
I, for example, would prefer streaming XviD movies because my PC monitor is kinda small and my TV is much superior in comparison.
locopuyo

RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 12, 2007 03:09
Because I have a 46" 1080p TV with 5.1 surround sound connected to my 360. It also sucks watching movies with other people huddled around your computer monitor. GL trying to pwn a chick doing that.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 12, 2007 03:48
.., Couldn' t watch a movie on a 360, way too noisy and playing dumbed down Xvid movies on my 1080p Projector would defeat the object, I' ll rather wait till the Blue-ray / HD-DVD original and watch it properly.

Also ever heard of a Digital A/V receiver?. With a touch of a button my 360, PS3, PC, Wii, Saturn or Dreamcast displays on either my LCD panel or P/J. Really essential

At least they finally give the option I suppose.
locopuyo

RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 12, 2007 07:33
Ever heard of logitech harmony remotes? With the touch of ONE button all of my shit turns on and i' m playing 360, watching a movie, tv, or whatever.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Xbox gets DivX - Nov 12, 2007 07:46
Point is if you dont have your PC hooked up to a beastly display, you can still watch all your torrented DVD-rips and episodes of Heroes on the big screen in the living room.

Not that I download that stuff.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message