Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PSP vs Nintendo DS
ColdFusion

• Total Posts : 35
PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jun 17, 2004 01:54
The Japanese magazine Famitsu carried out a new survey near 76 developers and other large persons in charge in the field for the video game to know what they think of Nintendo DS and the PSP of Sony, this comparative is carried out on 12 Rounds, gaining it is Nintendo DS.

ROUND 1: Which console will be sold best?
PSP = 102, DS = 137, Opinion Divided = 111

ROUND 2: Which console will be the least expensive?
PSP = 31, DS = 274, Opinion Divided = 38

ROUND 3: Which console will leave the first?
PSP = 98, DS = 152, Opinion Divided = 101

ROUND 4: Which console will have the most interesting plays?
PSP = 66, DS = 172, Opinion Divided = 111

ROUND 5: Which design prefer?
PSP = 251, DS = 42, Opinion Divided = 58

ROUND 6: Which console would like to be transported?
PSP = 134, DS = 69, Opinion Divided = 147

ROUND 7: With which console would like to be played in the train?
PSP = 140, DS = 91, Opinion Divided = 119

ROUND 8: Which console the most marked you in term of presentation?
PSP = 104, DS = 89, Opinion Divided = 154

ROUND 9: Which is the console which has the most interesting functionalities?
PSP = 113, DS = 149, Opinion Divided = 88

ROUND 10: Which console will profit from many new games?
PSP = 31, DS = 244, Opinion Divided = 74

ROUND 11: Which is the console for which the development is simplest?
PSP = 114, DS = 98, Opinion Divided = 134

ROUND 12: Which console want to be seen existing longest?
PSP = 84, DS = 156, Opinion Divided = 112

PSP gains 5 Rounds with a total of 1269 votes compared with Nintendo DS which gains 7 Rounds with a total of 1629 votes.

(Source: Famitsu)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jun 18, 2004 00:48
I' m surprised the DS did so well in that poll. Given that the PSP seems like it' s going to be the sequel machine where developers pimp out their gaming sequels and side stories. I remember in a past poll where more Japanese gamers said they preferred sequels over original games.
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jun 18, 2004 02:52
There is a simple poll on the front page of of Kikizo right now (www.kikizo.com) - PSP or DS - can I suggest everyone takes part in it? Would be interesting to see the results based on Kikizo readers...
PS2Poodoo

• Total Posts : 273
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jun 18, 2004 17:49
When I casted my vote PSP was ahead(in the kikizo poll). My vote went to the PSP, btw.

I am worried right now, I haven' t seen any information on whether the system will come with rechargeable batteries, or if they will be available for purchase. I can' t see myself buying all the batteries for either handheld
Jose Morales

• Total Posts : 2
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 22, 2004 00:09
Is the DS going to have a main menu like gamecube does like clock, calender, and options or gameplay. I know the PSP is going to have it but is the DS going to have a home menu?
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 22, 2004 00:33
I casted my vote for the DS. Though honestly it is very hard for me to pick a favorite. One minute I like the DS better and the next minute I prefer the PSP. The DS will have better battery life and is cheaper. The PSP' s batteries won' t even be able to play a Lord of the Rings movie without dying. The PSP uses conventional methods of control. The DS has a lame touch screen which I see more of as a gimmick than anything valuable for more than a handful of games.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 23, 2004 15:18
I' m sorry, both of these are really cool and all, and I WISH I could get excited about them, but...........

I just HATE playing my games on tiny 3-inch screens. I don' t know why, I just do. I have some old GameBoy games that I still play on the GBA here and there, but mostly only when I don' t have access to my game setup and TV.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 24, 2004 22:46
The only thing with the PSP is that it' s going to be so booooring. It' s basically going to be a portable PS2 which sounds cool but... I' ve got a PS2 which can do games better than the PSP anyway. And I' ve no need for a portable console anyway unless it could really offer me something different.

In comes the DS. I was genuinely excited reading the reports on the DS from E3 as it sounds like a great leap forwards in gaming. The graphics on the device may not be able to compete with the PSP but they are sufficient enough for what the DS is made for. The Dual Screen had me interested but now one is touch sensitive... think about the possibilities for games with that! There' s the examples shown at E3 but there’s the possibility here for something really unique and interesting. People are going to be like " Doh, that’s so simple yet so good! Why didn' t I think of that?”

The DS is a true evolution in gaming and I' m all for Nintendo' s vision of trying to make games better by changing the game play and not just improving the graphics.
panzer_baiken

• Total Posts : 83
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 25, 2004 15:49
i hope they have an alternate control scheme for the ds, because the stylus thing just ain' t gonna work for me. i read a few hands-on reports of mp:hunters-which uses the stylus-and they said it didn' t work well.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 25, 2004 23:10
Yeah, that looked odd as you could only turn round using the stylus and moving it side to side, but whenever you touched the screen with the stylus you charged up your weapon and when you let go it fired. That needs sorting obviously and hopefully will be. I was shocked at how good that game looked though. Not as good as the Gamecube MP but better than anything the N64 could have done, for sure. Plus it proved that the touch screen was capable of graphcis as good as the top screen.
Beef Shala

• Total Posts : 89
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Jul 27, 2004 18:24

I was genuinely excited reading the reports on the DS from E3 as it sounds like a great leap forwards in gaming.

whatabout_paul, I agree with you 110%. I feel like the PSP is more of the same. It will be the same games in a smaller package. Same control scheme, slightly dumbed down graphics, etc. It is not taking gaming anywhere, but into your pocket.

The DS is taking gaming in a whole new direction. Opening doors for developers that were not there before. The two screens and the touch screen offer game creaters a bunch of new possibilities that were not there before.

I am not even into handheld gaming but I am excited about the DS.
vanswa garbutt

• Total Posts : 412
RE: PSP vs Nintendo DS - Aug 26, 2004 23:17
the ds vs. the psp. to me i have always been on nintendo side. i never really got into sony and there systems. if i had to choose of cousre it would be the ds. in japan they took a sevay of some 12 question and that th ds one 7 out of 12. and the psp only one 5 out of 12. i say thumbs up ds thumbs down psp
< Message edited by vanswa garbutt -- 8/26/2004 11:18:10 PM >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message