Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 Chime
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
PS3 Chime - Apr 10, 2006 08:13
I know this is very minor, but hell its the little things that make life worth liveing eh? anyway, i was looking at the MGS4 tariler [on google video] and at the start it had what i may think to be the ps3 chime which has been cut out of the other videos i have seen. Its only in the first few seconds, so listen.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6217811405118278161&q=Metal+Gear+Solid+4&pl=true

kind of like a gong, and i like it.

I love finding silly little things like this.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 10, 2006 12:38
Could be, hard to say.

By the way, I HATE the shakey-cam in the trailer. That' s a huge fad in action movies and now videogames. It' s so cheesey and amateur-ish. I hate amateurs, but evidently professionals don' t work at Konami anymore. It was nice to see the Metal Gear thingy from Snatcher in that trailer, though. I' d like to see in-game footage sometime, as that is obviously just a cut-scene and nothing more.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 10 Apr 06 4:39:55 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 10, 2006 19:17
Cool I heard it. Sounds simple but still kind of cool. I prefer the PSP chime though.
Is it just me or does the " Playstation" text actually look like the " Spiderman" text?
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 10 Apr 06 11:17:26 >
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 10, 2006 22:16
it looks very similar that' s for sure!

I always remember the Saturn Ident - particularly the Jap one, always blowing my PSX owning mates back in the day, I hope thats not the PS3 Ident, if it is, it' s v.weak compared to Sony' s normal style!
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 01:47
I would very much like it if that was PS3' s start-up, only that.
Honestly when I am playing a game I dislike having to wait for my PS2 to go through it' s little start up thing. My PS2 is modded so i am able to get rid of the PS2 logo after the floating cubes, but I hear the are modchips which can disable the whole start up (floating cubes and logo) and go straight to the game - I' m jealous.

In a time of waiting for games to load up, why make us wait longer with the system to start-up too...
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 01:58
at last i understood what' s the thread is about lool

i ddidn' t know what Chime means thanks uumai
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 02:05
Heh, no prob Abasoufiane, It' s really just about the sound played when they show the Playstation 3 logo on the video - It' s better than the PS2 sound (If i remember it right)
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 05:34
Oh, cool. I thought i was the only one who noticed that. I' ve got the trailer on a ps underground disk so i' ve viewed the awesomeness many, many, times. (drools a little, and goes back to watch it again)

It definately sounds better than the ps2 one, that great huge crashing abomination that' ll wake up anyone who doesn' t think you should be playing games at two in the morning. Hopefully they have an extended version of that, all nice and low.

and to think, next month, after e3, we' ll look back and laugh about how little news we really had to go on.
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 09:00
This isnt really news, its more like " oh hey, look what i saw.."

Hey Joe too be honest, I dont mind the shakey-cam, yes if it is overused it is very annoying. But it does add to the immersion that what is happening/coming at you is quite nasty. And how can it be called amateurish since Huge Movie Directors and now Game Directors use it? and do you work in the movie industry?

Think back to mgs3, the cutscenes in that did look better than actuall game play, but they where not worlds apart, it was quite similar.
Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 12:28

And how can it be called amateurish since Huge Movie Directors and now Game Directors use it? and do you work in the movie industry?

You could say that. I don' t know of any " huge" movie directors who use it. That Matt Damon movie Bourne Supremacy (whatever the 2nd one was called) was giving people in the audience headaches and causing some to vomit because that effect is so overused. It is mostly used by TV programs who seem to have a rule of " never ever let the camera be still" . It is amateurish because it takes no skill. A 7-year-old holding the family camcorder can obtain the same exact effect with no effort or intent. To me Steadicam movements are much more impressive as that requires extreme skill and mastery of the Steadicam device. I' ve used a Steadicam and believe me it is NOT easy. I can understand a little camera shake and sway here and there, but it really shouldn' t be so overused.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 11 Apr 06 4:31:12 >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 13:52
It' s been in tonnes of our videos since a kajillion years ago.
ginjirou

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 18:36
Didn' t they use it in Saving Private Ryan?
Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 18:49
I did not hear the PS3 chime in Saving Private Ryan.

If you' re talking about shakey-cam, yeah, a little. Mostly when things exploded and mostly at the beginning. Bourne Supremacy makes Private Ryan look like a still photo, though.
ginjirou

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 18:53
No, I was talking about the PS3 chime
Sony have been trying to get people used to that sound since long.
You know those strange sounds in the woods in the Blairwitch movie? Reversed PS3 chimes.
Bishonen

• Total Posts : 1718
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 11, 2006 19:12
........yeah i hate shaky cam.... ...it seems to show up a lot in of big budget tv shows like 24 lately....

....steady cam definitely rules...
Joe Redifer

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 12, 2006 03:03
Know wht' s worse than shakey-cam? Retard cam! You' ll see this a lot on kiddie shows, VH1, MTV and the like. It' s when the camera is constantly zooming in and out on, say, a person just standing there talking about something, and the camera is also slightly rotating back and forth in an effort to be " hip" . The camera is NEVER still. I think Total Request Live may do this, but I' ve only seen that show maybe once a long time ago.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 12, 2006 03:08

Know wht' s worse than shakey-cam? Retard cam!

Yeah, i forgot TRL did that. There' s a reason i don' t poison my mind with MTV and VH1. (well, in vh1 in certain exceptions, like when they' re playing the blues brothers)
Silentbomber

RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 12, 2006 06:46
MTV' s kool, they tell me what to think. Your all Lameass cos you cant see whats funny. Cos your all old and smelly. Like a Sock.

Even Socks think your retards.
Ikashiru

• Total Posts : 649
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 12, 2006 19:00

Even Socks think your retards.

thats my quote of the day!

I hate retard cam, or moreover, dodgy " trendy " editing like if you tried to watch Dukes of Hazzard (not that you would.. ahem) but the editing on the farce that was a " race " at the end of it was so quick and ridiculous it made me feel dizzy / sick! Editing like that makes the camera work in 24 seem quite plausable, although they do use the " blurred looking through blinds at someone walking down the stairs making you feel like the actor is being watched" stlye too much...

Everytime you guys call it a chime it makes me think of beg ben! Now that would be funny / annoyibng / stupid!
< Message edited by jtypecav -- 12 Apr 06 11:00:58 >
Niitaka

• Total Posts : 13
RE: PS3 Chime - Apr 14, 2006 01:26
Yeah, I HATE the PS2 chimes too. Once it scared a cat so badly it fell off the fence into my neighbor' s trash can.

This sounds nice. I hope they adopt it for the PS3' s chime. Or better yet, allow players to set a custom chime (throw a sequencer at me, and I' ll tinker like there' s no tomorrow).
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message