Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Death of the Modern Platformer
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 02:08
I' ve been hunting around for a good platformer on the next-gen consoles, & then after about half an hour of searching, it struck me that there weren' t ANY good platformers for next gen systems.

Kameo hardly counts as amazing, it' s more action/combat oriented anyways, and Sonic blows big time. With Mario still (I' ll bet) quite a few months away, I' m left with shooters, sports/racing games, and a handful of mediocre RPG' s.

My question is, with all the advancements in graphics, has everybody forgotten about platforming fun? Even the Wii has very little in that department, and yeah I know it' s new, but unless you' re a die-hard Zelda fan, You' re pretty much left out in the cold.

I' ve actually turned back the clock a bit, and started buying up some of the gems I missed the first trip around. I' m picking up Sly 2 & 3 today, along with Rayman: 3, because I absolutely can' t find the PS2 version. (help anyone?) I' m just really disappointed in this generation' s performance in the platformer department. Anybody else feel the same?
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 03:16
While you' re right about platformers degenerating, I have to admit that I rather enjoyed Sonic' s next-gen outing on the Xbox 360..

Once you look past the occasionally lousy camera, the lousy load times, the occasionally lousy controls (especially the FRUSTRATING controls during the climbing portions), and the occasional glitches that' ll have you falling through walls, there' s actually a good game buried underneath all that $hitte .. I finally completed all of the missions 100% and enjoy replaying some of the missions from time to time Sonic and Silver' s missions were cool but Shadow' s missions kinda sucked.. All in all, It' s my second favorite 3D Sonic game, the first being the original Sonic Adventure

I just hope Namco is cooking up a Klonoa 3 for next-gen, err, now current-gen consoles as Klonoa 2 was easily one of my favorites last-gen.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 26 Dec 06 19:34:04 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 03:38
Banjo Kazooie for the 360 should be good fun. If they keep that music, I' m sold.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 15:20
I want another Pandemonium!
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 21:55
I' m playing Kameo again...
Papado

• Total Posts : 234
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 27, 2006 22:28
Well, at least the Paper Mario platformer is coming out soon!
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 28, 2006 00:43

I have to admit that I rather enjoyed Sonic' s next-gen outing on the Xbox 360..

Once you look past the occasionally lousy camera, the lousy load times, the occasionally lousy controls (especially the FRUSTRATING controls during the climbing portions), and the occasional glitches that' ll have you falling through walls, there' s actually a good game buried underneath all that $hitte .. I finally completed all of the missions 100% and enjoy replaying some of the missions from time to time Sonic and Silver' s missions were cool but Shadow' s missions kinda sucked.. All in all, It' s my second favorite 3D Sonic game, the first being the original Sonic Adventure

I completely agree. Sonic, whilst very much deserving of a few more months of development to polish things up is indeed great (albeit at times glitchy) fun. I think reviews have been so harsh on it purely because it' s a Sonic game.

But that' s not strictly a platformer is it? It' s also pretty heavy on the RPG elements.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 29, 2006 12:09
Banjo 3 will be awesome on x360, if Rare doesn' t fuck it up.

And Rayman 3 sucks ass.

The N64 was the best platform console, Mario64, Banjo 1 & 2, Rayman 2, Conker, etc.

Last gen the only platformer I really liked was Sly Cooper: Band of Thieves, the Ratchet series and Jak series were ok but theyre a little to actiony for my tastes, I like platformers that are about platforming, not 90% action, 10% platforming.
< Message edited by Evil Man -- 29 Dec 06 4:12:24 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 29, 2006 15:02

And Rayman 3 sucks ass.

Blashphemy!!!

The N64 was the best platform console, Mario64, Banjo 1 & 2, Rayman 2, Conker, etc.
That I will agree with you on. The Dreamcast did have its gems as well though.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 29 Dec 06 7:10:04 >
KongRudi

• Total Posts : 220
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 29, 2006 16:00
Rainbow Islands Evolution, for the PSP is coming.. :)

http://www.tothegame.com/game.asp?id=6114
< Message edited by kongrudi -- 29 Dec 06 8:04:35 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: The Death of the Modern Platformer - Dec 30, 2006 14:02

Im ashamed to admit that i actually played those games... and it gets worse, i thought they were pretty addicting and actually a decent game to play

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll