Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii opinions
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Wii opinions - Nov 19, 2006 18:57
We got a Wii.
So far I' ve played Wii Sports and Zelda.

I' m pretty dissapointed. I didn' t expect good graphics but these are just horrible. In between N64 and PS2 graphics. Yes, that bad. At least it lets you set it to widescreen.

For Wii sports the controls are easy to pick up and paly but have an extreme lack of depth to them.

We' ve only played through a little bit of zelda. You use the controller for things like fishing and aiming things. It is kind of stupid.

So far, from what I' ve played I' d have to say the Wii is just a gimmick.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 19, 2006 19:19

I' m pretty dissapointed. I didn' t expect good graphics but these are just horrible. In between N64 and PS2 graphics

I think the game was just thrown together to show off the controller capabilities. But even so, I guess they could have made it look just that little bit nicer.

from what I' ve played I' d have to say the Wii is just a gimmick.

Since I first learned about the remote, this has always been a big fear of mine. I' ll see for myself come December 8th hopefully.

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:08
I wouldn' t expect Wii to be any good until games like Super Smash come out. There will be good games for it. Personally I' m waiting for a price drop, before the Wii has any real value and by then it might have some decent games.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:18
With no wii kiosk and price tag at 380$ in Sweden,wii certainly doesnt seem worth getting for awhile.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:38

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

So far, from what I' ve played I' d have to say the Wii is just a gimmick.

Finally, a real user review...

None of the tainted industry insider interviews like IGN..

The review comes from a real-gamer...
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:41
Even if someone think its a gimmick they cant say it.

samed with that they cant give zelda a bad score,since the core nintendo gamers are zelda fans.

They have to say its a revolution even if they dont think so.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:46
I know the Wii ain' t ' everyones cup of tea' so to speak. THeres probably alot of people that prefer the traditional way of gaming and thats fine, The 360 and ps3 will be more suitable. I don' t think Nintendo were trying to attract gamers like that. FOr me the reason why i' m interested in console gaming again (have been more a PC gamer) is the gaming possibilities the Wii mote will open up in gaming. I think the Wii and PC provide all the gaming i need at the moment (with strong rumours of GoW coming to PC)

locopuyo i guess if you are not happy with your Wii then sell it on ebay or something like that (its obviously not your thing), from what i am reading around the net quite a few people missed out on snagging a Wii and are very dissappointed about that. Maybe you can make some money off it (but nowhere near the ridiculous prices of the ps3 on ebay).
BTW on game rankings 10+ game sites reviewed Zelda and the average score was 96.6%, with most saying the Wii controls as being excellent and very suited for the game- many saying they couldn' t imagine playing Zelda with a GC controller.

these are the average scores for Wii launch games from gamerankings (again thanks Alcrein for the link)

Legend of Zelda WII 96.8%
Red Steel WII 65.8%
DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 WII 86.1%
Rayman Raving Rabbids WII 79.5%
Wii Sports WII 79.8%
Call of Duty 3 WII 81.6%
Excite Truck WII 73.4%
Trauma Center WII 81.0%
Super Monkey Ball Blitz WII 77.4%
Marvel Ultimate Alliance WII 82.2%

link - http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/default_wii/1031

thats pretty good averages for a launch line up if you ask me.

choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 07:59
I was quite excited about the Wii since E3, but I think more excited about the idea behind it.

I' m not sure whether its just because the launch games havent quite pulled it off, or whether the tech just isnt good enough to do it, but I have read a few bad impressions of the Wii controls so far. So much so that I' ve decided to cancel my pre-order and wait.

I' d have expected at the very least for the Wiimote to be fluid and responsive to whatever movements you are doing, but I' ve read multiple times that the games are more about flicking movements than arm swings.

Perhaps they did that on purpose as most are complaining that they actually have to do some exercise for a change, but I would want to at least feel as though I was swinging a sword around rather than using flicking movements to trigger a swing in the game.

I mean how cool would a true to life lightsabre battle over the net be, compared to a flicking battle?
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 08:18

I played the Wii, it doesn' t fly as a gimmick to me. As well IGN has been Sony favoring in the past, so if there is a bias it sure isn' t leaning towards Nintendo.

The fact of the matter is a lot of people on this forum are going to be tech heavy and graphics heavy, Wii is about gameplay...and aside from Excite Truck the controls are extremely innovative and intuitive (though Red Steel has a bitch of a learning curve).
Agent Ghost

RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 08:26

(though Red Steel has a bitch of a learning curve).

My understanding is that the makers of RED steel didn' t use the Wiimote properly, They didn' t quite understand how effective the wiimote works and by the time they understood what was possible it was too late to change the game. Trust me, future sword games will be much better than Red Steel. The wiimote can detect the entire motion in real time but the mkers of Red Steel only used the initial direction of a swing and that translated to pre-scripted moves. So its pretty shitty compared to how good it could have been.
Terrak

RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 08:48
Your right Agent Ghost, i saw an e3 2006 tech demo - very basic but it showed (from memory) a wiimote manupulating a graphical Wiimote almost perfectly, move up with the Wiimote the tech demo moved exactly the same way with little to no lag at all. I' m positive as developers get more time with the Wii improvements can be made, so don' t expect the games to perfected on launch, theres still plenty of time for things to be perfected. Besides to those who cancelled their preorder because they had second thoughts i' m pretty sure there is a person out there thanking you for your decision not to buy - i personally am, means possible more Wiis for us here in AUstralia, though i' m not counting on it.

ANyway what clinched it for me is the Average of 96.6% for the Wii version of Zelda (Gamerankings), if the Wiimote didn' t work well then the score wouldn' t be so high but i see that score and say - yes now i' m satisfied that the Wii will deliver. NOw all i need to do is wait a little longer.

BTW they better be making a 1 to 1 Jedi light saber game as we speak (sooner rather then later) - that would be too cool!!!

Besides the launch is merely a taste of whats to come!!! (Mario Galaxy, Metroid, SSBB etc)
< Message edited by Terrak -- 20 Nov 06 0:50:30 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 09:08

Will this do? I' ve already posted my review of the actual console/controller, so I won' t bother with that.

Legend of Zelda: TP I was going to make my own thread for this thing, but Loco beat me to it. I played LOZ today as well, and I was kinda disappointed by the gimmicky Wii-mote function, but other than that, I thought gameplay was rock solid. The visuals are hit-or-miss, some things look fantastic, & others make me cry for my Dreamcast agian.

Red Steel: The name of the game is disappointment folks. Yessir, that' s about it. The sword bits are ridiculously frustrating because the motion isn' t 1:1, it' s just pre-registered slashes & blocks. About a year' s worth of waiting for that?! C' mon Ubi. The gun movement is for the most part pretty good, but once you hit the sides of the page, all bets are off as to what you can see. That can sometimes be a problem as well.

Excite Truck: Quite good in retrospect. My only huge beef is the X-shaped trees.[:' (]

Call of Duty 3: Blegh, but not because of the controls. It' s just as linear as the 360 version. It' s a total crap-shoot without the multi-player, which rocks today as I found out. If you want something similar but better, buy Finest Hour for GCN... No seriously, it' s better.

Wii Sports: Does exactly what it advertises, gives you some quick fun, and acts as a fairly good tutorial for the Wiimote. Depth, it has not, but you can' t beat it for entertainment.

That' s all I got to play today, I might head around to another guy' s house to play Rayman tomorrow.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 11:18
My only quibble with the Wii is how developers REFUSE to use the hardware to its full potential, simply because it' s the ' gameplay' that matters, not the ' graphics' .

Sure, but then you have Okami which as BOTH, and which I' m pretty sure that a Gamecube 1.5 can handle!

And how about something on the lines of a Resident Evil 4? Shooting and shaking off zombies with the Wii-mote sounds brilliant, and hell if people say the Wii can only produce games up to the standard of Red Steel [:' (]

Heck, it should be able to produce games as stunning as any of the Final Fantasies on the PS2, and MORE!

Damn developers refuse to make anything out of the Wii!
Terrak

RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 12:56

Legend of Zelda: TP I was going to make my own thread for this thing, but Loco beat me to it. I played LOZ today as well, and I was kinda disappointed by the gimmicky Wii-mote function, but other than that, I thought gameplay was rock solid. The visuals are hit-or-miss, some things look fantastic, & others make me cry for my Dreamcast agian.

How is the shooting using the Wiimote? I' m pretty sure it would be alot more challenging/rewarding then the ' auto aim' for the previous versions.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 14:32
From the videos, you get a fairly large target reticule.

When you use the bow, does the arrow arc naturally, or does it just shoot straight?

It' ll be cool, if tough, if you have to calculate distance and trajectory for far off targets...
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 15:42
Heheh, i knew come launch day u' ll get the Wii / Fakers /Haters come out to diss / put down the console..

If one went out to que up to buy a Wii, its pretty obvious one Knew EXACTLY what he or she was going to get.

I had the pleasure to play Wii for the first time yesterday at my local Bullring shopping centre.. First thing that came to mind with: ' Damm this really works' .. I played 10 mins of Zelda and by the end of the session i was simply ' stunned' game is pure quality and it controls were AMAZING.

The way i see it is:

Wii already has THE best game of this generation on day one, with other unique experiences in its other titles.

My ' Generic' 360 is so sold now..

Gona be Wii, PC and VF5 all the way!!!!!!

Anyone know were they are selling Wii Compnt cables??
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 16:07

Heheh, i knew come launch day u' ll get the Wii / Fakers /Haters come out to diss / put down the console..

If one went out to que up to buy a Wii, its pretty obvious one Knew EXACTLY what he or she was going to get.

Really though, how could you know what you were getting? if you hadnt had the chance to play it yet?

Why do people have to be Fakers or haters not to like it? Isnt it their choice? or taste not to like it?

Have you considered that the controls might be gimicky for some/most games? im not saying that it will alway sbe like that, things will always improve from launch!
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 16:19
I' m not the one who wasted 6 hours and $250 standing in line to get a Wii. My roomate bought it.
My opinion is less bias than yours because you wouldn' t want to admit to yourself you wasted the time and money on it.

I could go on and insult you but I' m too nice to do such things.

I simply stated my opinion on the 2 games I played for Wii. From what I' ve experienced more fun can be achieved from inovative gameplay than inovative controllers. Super Monkey ball bowling, golf, tennis, baseball and fight (boxing) using a normal controller are more fun than Wii Sports using the wii controller. That is my opinion, it is okay to have a different opinion.
I also felt it wasn' t any more fun playing zelda with the wii controller than on a gamecube.
Those are the only 2 games I' ve played for it. It is possible games that come out in the future could change my opinion but as of now all the Wii is to me is a gimmick.

p.s. you can get component cables on gamestop but they don' t ship till december 4th or something

p.s.s I went to the bathroom and saw that the toilet was clogged with a nasty poop but didn' t puke because I' ve become desensitized from playing the Wii.
Agent Ghost

RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 16:21

p.s.s I went to the bathroom and saw that the toilet was clogged with a nasty poop but didn' t puke because I' ve become desensitized from playing the Wii.

ouch, you really hate the damn thing...
f3hunter

• Total Posts : 821
RE: Wii opinions - Nov 20, 2006 16:25

p.s. you can get component cables on gamestop but they don' t ship till december 4th or something

Dam.. lol, i need these cables as i seriously cant play games with normal A/V.. yuk.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message