Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Could the PSP ever beat DS??
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 10:59
The DS is just out of the PSP' s league. I feel like the PSP doesn' t stand a chance in any sense. It is expensive to manufacture and retail, the games are lacking, not many releases, bad battery life, it needs too many accessories.... it just can' t compete with the handheld juggernaut that is DS.

What are your thoughts??

Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 12:09

The DS is just out of the PSP' s league. I feel like the PSP doesn' t stand a chance in any sense. It is expensive to manufacture and retail, the games are lacking, not many releases, bad battery life, it needs too many accessories.... it just can' t compete with the handheld juggernaut that is DS.

What are your thoughts??

For a while the PSP was kicking the DS' s a$$ in both Japan and the U.S., eventually the DS rallied back in Japan after Nintendo released a variety of colors as well as Nintendogs. So yeah the PSP can compete and does stand a chance given that the DS' lead isn' t that huge ;)... I don' t really see how it' s expensive to manufacture since the DS doesn' t have THAT great of a price advantage compared to the PSP Standard pack in Japan, and ' supposedly' Sony is profiting on each unit sold. ;).. As for not many releases, well the DS went through its rough period as well not too long ago with many gamers becoming disgruntled over the lack of releases :). As for bad battery life, I see no such thing, I along with others get around 4 - 5 hours of play time with various titles depending on our PSP settings which is pretty solid. The only accessory I have for my PSP and I' m perfectly happy with is the wrist strap which it came with, memory card which it came with, I only purchased an OPTIONAL higher capacity card for multimedia purposes. It also came with a carrying case but I purchased an optional wallet-like case for mine. As far as technology goes, the PSP is the one that' s way out of the DS' s league, but as far as handheld name brand recognition goes, Nintendo knows its market well. We' ll all just have to wait and see how this battle plays out when the PSP' s big guns come out later in the year.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 12:25
The PSP might become really popular with pirate and emulation afficianados like the current Xbox is now. Apparently the thing is extremely hackable, and you don' t even need to add a mod-chip.
Terry Bogard

RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 12:40
I love the emulation aspects of it but the problem is, Sony and their friggin firmware updates tend to nullify such a thing. The most ideal PSPs to own are the pre-US launch Japanese units, those had firmware version 1.00, the most hackable one of them all.. The U.S. units had firmware 1.50 which was a lot harder to hack and only recently did they come out with better emulation methods for it.. But with each firmware update, the security holes in the previous firmware become tighter and harder to bypass their encryption.. Ideally if someone is big on playing emulators/roms on the PSP they should own two units.. One just for Emus and one for PSP games cause a few PSP games are starting to require firmware updates. Once someone updates the firmware of their Emulator packed PSP, the emulator becomes useless..

But I can totally understand Sony' s reasoning as a lot of actual PSP game ISOs have been pirated as of late and I believe that' s been the main motivation all along with the constant updates, too bad they' re a little too late and didn' t put a memory cap on the memory card sizes the PSP would be compatible with, lol..
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 15:33
Now that I have a DS I love it. I thought Nintendo would never make another good system after the Game Cube bombed(in my opinion). Also I wasn' t even considering to buy a DS until I say the reviews for Meteos and Kirby. I think the PSP doesn' t have many things going for it. I mean the DS was even on Rap City last year. I don' t want the PSP to do bad but, I just don' t have $300-$350 to spend on emulation and a few racing/sports games and Tokobot.
< Message edited by George Foreman -- 12 Jul 05 23:35:50 >
GoUGA8383

• Total Posts : 15
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 16:14
Right now I think the PSP is more popular than the DS mainly because versitility, features, and sexy looks.
JoeRediferIsCool

• Total Posts : 74
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 21:04
The DS cannotbe beaten by the DS. Putting it simply, the PSP is getting puned by the DS in just about every way imaginable.
cpsethgt

• Total Posts : 57
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 12, 2005 23:37
I hope so.

I think the dual screen gimmick is an ill-conceived one, and I want Nintendo to see that.

Tell me this: how does having a second screen help you in, say, a racing game? In Ridge Racers you' ve got a completely useless picture of a dashboard wasting screen space.

How about... a sports game? You can choose football plays on the touchscreen, because, you know, pop-up menus just don' t get the job done. Maybe with a bigger screen, you' d be able to see all the players on the field for yourself, instead of them having to be mapped out on the bottom there.

As far as the touchscreen goes, how often is it really necessary in actual gameplay? Really, only strategy games benefit from it. For everything else, including Metroid, it causes the control scheme to become clumsy.

My friend tells me, ' It' s good for mini-games!' .... If you want mini-games, PDA' s are pretty inexpensive on eBay, plus most of the games are free.

Oh, and it' s ugly. But that' s not important.

It makes me upset to see what Nintendo has become, from what they once were.

Right now, yes. I have to agree with you that the games for the PSP are lacking. The two best titles (in my opinion) are both racing games. But, it' s all going to change soon, the fall lineup is starting to look good.
< Message edited by cpsethgt -- 13 Jul 05 7:41:48 >
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 00:03
I love my DS. I don' t really care for the glassware PSP. It' s bulky, no good games, it' s expensive, it' s fragile, it' s smears easily.

Ths DS has a MUCH better line up then the PSP. I think the touch screen is not a gimmick i love playing Zoo Keeper on it and i have played Kirby and Pac Pix and i thought they were really fun. Mario 64DS is also a fun game (given not as cool without the analog control and they kinda tweaked the camera thing which gets annoying but i love playing it).

Plus with the Play-yan it can also do Mp3s and video files just like the PSP for cheaper.

If you want a gimmick look at the UMD' s that is a stupid idea. Paying twice the price for a UMD which only plays on the PSP when you can get a bigger screen portable DVD player which plays DVD' s you already own instead of having to buy a UMD that doesn' t even have the features a DVD has.
cpsethgt

. - Jul 13, 2005 00:08
<message edited by cpsethgt on Apr 30, 2012 05:40>
Terry Bogard

RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 00:16

If you want a gimmick look at the UMD' s that is a stupid idea. Paying twice the price for a UMD which only plays on the PSP when you can get a bigger screen portable DVD player which plays DVD' s you already own instead of having to buy a UMD that doesn' t even have the features a DVD has.

But you can' t slip a portable DVD player in your pocket ;).. UMD movies have been more successful than many originally thought they would be. While transferring videos to memory stick is another way of enjoying movies on the go, I like UMDs cause of the pristine video quality.. With the limited size of them I' m not expecting all of the bonus features of a DVD, my only issue with the UMD format has always been price. I' ve always thought Sony should have priced them in the $9.99-$14.99 range...
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 01:59
The PSP is certainly going through a dry period, but IMO the launch line-up was incredibly well-rounded for a new handheld. There' s far too many (good) racing games for my liking, but then again there' s a top notch puzzle game, a decent hack ' n' slash action RPG, a classic BEU, a great multiplayer shooter and a more than decent strategy game. The only games I' ve really enjoyed playing on my DS so far were Mario DS (which I got tired of very quickly) and Another Code (Trace Memory in the US, an ok-ish adventure game with some very innovative puzzles). I' ll probably buy Kirby, Meteos and Nanostray this August, as I' m planning a trip to the States, but even so, I' ll end up owning more decent games for the PSP by the end of summer (according to my personal criteria, of course) and I' m not even taking into account the superior hardware. I' m just saying all this because there seems to be a preconception that the DS has better games going for it. Well, for me, it doesn' t, unless you take into account the GBA compatibility.

Can' t wait for Castlevania DS, though!
< Message edited by dismiss -- 13 Jul 05 10:01:29 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 03:39
Castlevania DS is gonna rock. It had better or I will be very angry and wreck all of Kikizo' s servers! (Yes, I have a problem directing my anger).
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 10:32
The DS is just better. Any way you see it.

The DS is just easier to manufacture than the PSP. Which to many of you doesn' t really make a difference. But if you look at the facts: Nintendo spends about 100 dollars on every DS made, and Sony spends about 300 dollars on every PSP made, you see how Nintendo will have a quantity advantage. And not only is Nintendo making a basic profit on hardware without depending on games, the DS is better built. Sony spends so much money on each PSP, and it' s even shoddy hardware. And since Sony isn' t making a profit off the hardware (spending 300, selling for 250 and 190 dollars), you know they are in trouble. Is PSP a better product than DS? I don' t think so.

Also, I look at announcements lately, and it seems it is unanimous that developers love DS. It' s developer friendly, basically cheap to develop for, and innovative. Making a game for the PSP costs about six times as much as a GBA game, and about three times as much as a DS game. Is PSP a better product than DS? Doesn' t seem so.

The DS will expand the handheld audience. It will attract anybody. My grandmother loves my DS, and plays it all the time. Anybody with a soul would check out Nintendogs. It' s pure genius. It' s one of those winning formulas only compatible with DS. Also, there are plenty of games for DS that are, dare I say it, educational. In Japan, there are DS Training for Adults, and Gentle Brain Excersises. Coming out soon are Advance Wars, which believe it or not, parents think it helps their kids strategize. Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney and Trauma Center and honorable mentions. I can' t wait for Trauma Center, because it is just so realistic and is, again, one of those games that would only work, or work best, on DS. Is PSP a better product than DS? Methinks not.

Now, enough of games and finance. Now, it is about the system itself. The DS is easy to pick up and play, because all you do is press the power button, and touch the screen, and you get the easy to use main menu, instead of holding a PSP power button, wait forty seconds, and pick through a jungle maze of menu choices. The DS has little to no load times, while many PSP owners, myself being one of them, admit it takes a while for a Ridge Racers track to load. Another complaint with PSP is that the thing gets immensely hot after hours of play, and the disc drive is very noisy. Plus, memory cards for the PSP are costly, especially when you need to store MP3 files and such. Other complaints are as follows. First, the PSP is a thumbprint magnet. The Screen, though huge, gets easily scratched. And overall, the lack of cover for the screen is disappointing. Is PSP a better product than DS? Doesn' t look it.

Nintendo seems to be putting more of an effort in their handheld than Sony. Nintendo is shipping twenty million DS this fiscal year, while Sony is only shipping twelve mil, which can be blamed on the cost effectiveness. Nintendo is marketing in Japan and the States more than Sony, and is making alot more promotions. Also, in the last couple of months in the U.S, and overall in Japan really, there have been more Nintendo DS releases than PSP, and at a small timeframe than PSP. Is the PSP a better product than DS? Nope.

Sony is trying to set an image for PSP, which is that it is supposed to be a multimedia device. Yet the multimedia, sadly, is manure. Why would someone pay twenty dollars for the movie Hellboy that has no bonus material and special features, when you can get a version that is rich with bonus material for five dollars less? Why? Is it because they want to see their movie on a four inch screen instead of a fifty-two inch one? And the MP3 feature isn' t a charm either. It is nightmarishly hard, I know, to download one song on your Memory Card. Eventually, you need more memory cards, which sell for about twenty buckaroos each, and, well, you know where I' m going. Is PSP a better product than DS? Hell no.

The PSP has too many problems, and abandons the Playstation philosophy
(Cheap, easy to develop games for), which is unforgiveable, especially when Sony is trying to compete with the King of the Hill, Nintendo, the company offering innovation, originality, fun-factor, and affordability instead of just a brand-name that' s expected to sell. Is DS a better product than PSP? Hell Yes!

Phoenixxx1974

RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 11:03
You cannot fit a PSP in your pocket. It' s bulky and it scratches and breaks very easily. I fit my DS comfortably in my pocket because it folds and the screen is protected. Plus you can play movies on your DS just get a play-yan or GBA movie player convert the movies into video files and store them on your memory card they fit into the Play-yan or GBA movie player i have the movie player which i got for $20 it' s not the best quality but it plays MP3s, video files, text files, and even NES/Famicom ROMS. THe Play-yan is much better quality from what i hear because it' s from Nintendo which i heard they will bundle it with the GBA micro which wil be cool i might buy it the micro just for the play-yan and also since i have every incarnation of the GB i might as well keep up my collection.

Yes i may have a Nintendo bias but that is because they make MUCH better stuff that last and that is for everyone unlike Sony who says the SP3 and PSP are not for kids which is true becuase the PSP is fragile and if kids manhandle it it will break faster then you can say your won name. Nintendo stuff is sturdy and built to last. I read a report that a mountain climber took a DS up to the top in the freezing cold and it still worked just fine but he has no plans to do it with the PSP. Yes the PSP is pretty and i am not saying the PSP sucks and no one should buy it i am just saying that it' s not as good ad everyone hyped it up to be and they also bashed the DS which i love and think it' s awesome plus Square-Enix has like 5 games coming out for the DS including Final Fantasy 3 and Secret of Mana (one of my fav games) also Lunar which is also one of my fav game series. I have yet to see one game for the PSP I think is worth buying it for me. The DS has tons of games i want like Polarium, Meteos, Kirby, Yoshi, Pac Pix, among others. I love puzzles and RPGs which the DS does good and has lots of them coming out just wait until next year when the new Pokemon Pearl/Diamond come out with 16 players simultaneously the sales of the DS will sky rocket. We all know how well Pokemon sells especially in Japan. Mario and Pokemon are the BIGGEST franchises in gaming history BY FAR. Both selling over 100 million copies and mario being i think 160 or so and only getting bigger.
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 15:17
To me the DS is tons better. There just aren' t enough games for me to buy a $250 system. I used to hate the DS and thought it sucked but, as more and more PSP games got horrible reviews I gave in and got a DS and now I love it.
Buy my grill!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And while your out get yourself a nice helping of DS; its good for you)
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 16:29
haha funy. Did you mean the PS3grill or the normal foreman grill, which i already own one and love it makes the meat soft and yummy.
Terry Bogard

RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 13, 2005 20:21

You cannot fit a PSP in your pocket.

My jacket' s inner pocket AND the pockets of my cargo pants say different
cpsethgt

. - Jul 13, 2005 21:47
<message edited by cpsethgt on Apr 30, 2012 05:39>
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: Could the PSP ever beat DS?? - Jul 14, 2005 02:00
Judging from this thread and many other similar ones I' ve read, the DS seems to be able to inspire much greater passion in it' s supporters which is a marketing advantage in and of itself. I' m not kidding, this is important. While I' m very much satisfied with what the PSP has to offer, the system will always feel incomplete as an all-purpose media machine without a hard drive or at the very least the ability to burn one' s own UMDs.

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 30

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message