Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Apple news.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 27 of 27
Rowdie

• Total Posts : 5
RE: Apple news. - Aug 13, 2003 15:21
Don' t encourage the Mac Zealot?

It' s not like I jumped in on the totally worthless what chip is faster arguement. Who the heck gives two chits what silicon can run a test faster? Isn' t about the end experiance?
Spacepiston

• Total Posts : 164
RE: Apple news. - Sep 17, 2003 03:35

ORIGINAL: PeyloW
The overall quality of the article, also suggests the author is nothing more then a ravaging teenager. And I for one trust my own eyes; I have been at a demonstration event where the PowerMac G5 and a Dual Xeon 3.2GHz (Running Windows XP by the way) where setup and provided for visitors to try themselves. And I can assure you that even if someone can prove that the benchmark numbers are false, no one can disprove that actual performance on real applications is higher.

If " Ed" wrote either of these articles (which I dont remember and im too lazy to link back and seee) then I would disagree about your first comment. Overclockers is a professional site run by respectible adults.

And as far as the credibility of the articles....I would tend to believe anything over what Apple says. Call me biased..but Apple has a long way to go before they ever eclipse the modern PC. I highly doubt that IBM is going to take them there...if Intel and AMD' s current troubles say anything..that is.
Spacepiston

from overclockers.com - Nov 12, 2003 01:24

" Banned By The Brits . . . ."
Ed Stroligo - 11/11/03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apple has been making claims about being the " the world' s fastest, most powerful personal computer" in its advertising, a rather dubious claim.

Well, they can' t do that on British commercial TV (i.e., not the BBC) any more.

The agency responsible for regulation has banned such ads due to their dubious accuracy.

Good show!

Far, far too often these days, people think " freedom of speech" means " the freedom to lie." Not that people haven' t lied from time immemorial, but only recently have people argued that being required to tell the truth infringes upon their personal freedom.

Recently, in the " other" world, CBS decided to not air a mini-series about the Reagans, and cries of censorship and chilling of artistic freedom filled the air.

Well, sorry, but when you have a very real-life President of the United States saying in a real-life situation, " I am the Antichrist," without a shred of evidence he ever said or thought such a thing, that' s not artistic freedom. That' s libel.

And no, this is not a political opinion. If someone portrayed Bill Clinton or Ted Kennedy as bisexuals to liven up some TV docudrama, the objection remains exactly the same. If you want to portray something as being truthful, you must follow truth' s standards.

It' s a point that needs to be made more often.

Ed

immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Apple news. - Nov 24, 2003 13:27
Mac games? yeah, Mac games are always great because you know which ones are good because you played them on PC like 5 years ago. I got that joke from [link=]www.redvsblue.com[/link] click the apple switch video. Owning a mac is like owning a car that will only run on 5% of roads.
Spacepiston

I hate to keep proving myself right but... - Mar 31, 2004 23:30
NAD NEWS
For Immediate Release
212-705-0120
APPLE AND DELL PARTICIPATE IN NAD PROCESS
NAD recommends that Apple discontinue and modify its comparative performance claims for its Power Mac G5
New York, NY - March 25, 2004 - The National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better
Business Bureaus, Inc., the advertising industry' s self-regulatory forum, recommended that Apple, Inc.
discontinue comparative performance claims regarding its Power Mac G5 personal computer. The truth
and accuracy of the advertiser' s claims were brought to the attention of the NAD by Dell, Inc.
NAD determined that the evidence provided by Apple did not provide a reasonable basis for its broad
unqualified claims that its Power Mac G5 is " the world' s fastest, most powerful personal computer" and
that it " edged out the competition on integer." NAD further determined that the advertiser' s claim, " the
world' s first 64-bit processor for personal computers," could reasonably be interpreted to apply to
workstations, in the context in which it was presented. As this claim was unsupported by the evidence in
the record, and although the advertisement had run its course, NAD recommended that Apple modify this
claim to effectively limit it to personal computers.
In a statement to NAD, Apple expressed that it supported the self-regulatory process and voluntary
compliance with NAD recommendations. Apple further stated that its ad campaign has already run its
course and that it " will be mindful of NAD' s views in its future advertising."
For a complete case report of the NAD decision, please contact Sheryl Harris at 212.705.0120.
NAD' s inquiry was conducted under NAD/CARU/NARB Procedures for the Voluntary Self-Regulation of
National Advertising. Details of the initial inquiry, NAD' s decision, and the advertiser' s response will be
included in the next NAD Case Report.
The National Advertising Review Council (NARC) was formed in 1971 by the Association of National Advertisers,
Inc. (ANA), the American Association of Advertising Agencies, Inc. (AAAA), the American Advertising
Federation, Inc. (AAF), and the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc. (CBBB). Its purpose is to foster truth and
accuracy in national advertising through voluntary self-regulation. NARC is the body that establishes the policies
and procedures for the CBBB’s National Advertising Division (NAD), the Children’s Advertising Review Unit
(CARU), and the National Advertising Review Board (NARB).
NAD and CARU are the investigative arms of the advertising industry’s voluntary self-regulation program. Their
casework results from competitive challenges from other advertisers, consumers and also from self-monitoring
traditional and new media, including the Internet. The National Advertising Review Board (NARB), the appeals
body, is a peer group from which ad-hoc panels are selected to adjudicate those cases that are not resolved at the
NAD/CARU level. This unique, self-regulatory system is funded entirely by the business community; CARU is
financed by the children’s advertising industry, while NAD/NARB’s sole source of funding is derived from
membership fees paid to the Council of Better Business Bureaus.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Apple news. - Apr 01, 2004 02:50
There WAS a time when MAC CPUs outperformed Pentium CPUs of equal speed but last I remember that was years ago. As someone else mentioned, I don' t know the current Mac vs. Windows PC situation so I have no idea who edges out who. I love both platforms. When it comes to sound production/design, I prefer Macs. For video editing I like both.
suffah

• Total Posts : 8
RE: Apple news. - Apr 02, 2004 19:42
I use Macs over 6 hours every day. I work exclusively with graphic/3d animation software so I am not familiar with how games do on Macs. We have the newest OS installed and the machines are generally pretty fast. But they crash a lot. A lot more than my pc at home.

I would never ever consider using a mac at home. Even if it was a G5 dual processor given me for free. I' d sell it or use it at work, but no way I' d let that thing in my house.

What about the lack of key gaming software? Are there any mmorpg' s available on the Mac yet? At least any popular ones? What does the Mac offer to me specifically that the PC can' t? Nothing. Which is why I would never use one at home. For some people like the OP, the Macs more than fulfill what they need in a computer. For others, Macs come up short time and time again.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 27 of 27

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message