Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 RPG binge...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 05:26
I finally got back into playing FFVII a couple days ago and have found myself hooked again. Damn fine game. I' m just reaching the Temple of the Ancients so Aries hasn' t died yet. I know I have quite a ways to go before I beat the game but I' m already looking into what I should play next.

I missed playing most RPGs while growing up because the consoles I owned didn' t have many games of in this genre. I' m trying to go back and pla what I' ve missed. Currently I got ahold of both Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI (final Fantasy III here in the US).What are some other classic RPGs you guys reccomend. Doesn' t matter what console excpet for the PS2 because I don' t have one of those currently.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 05:30
If your thinking PC as well, you should check out Fallout 1 and 2, Bethesda is currently developing Fallout 3 after they aquired the license for it from Interplay. They are among the best RPG´s ive played, though they arent Jrpg.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 05:54
Chrono Cross, Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Legend of Legaia, etc.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 05:57
Something that isn' t from Square Enix.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 06:58
you should definitly try Wild Arms 1, on psone , this game is excllent , graphics sucks (snes graphics) but it' s an excellent game i would recommend highly. (all others wild arms after this one were so so or just bad bad)

than

Suikoden 1 and better yet suikoden 2 . those are excellent , again graphics sucks but it shouldn' t matter since:

final fantasy 6 (III) have graphics that suck but what a great game , it' s huge one of the best final fantasies games ever ...

final fantasy 8 (some people like it more than ff7) this should tell how great it is, even if i don' t agree this game is awesome.

chrono cross, another great rpg by square that you should give a try, but i would definitly start with the games i mentioned before ...

this is from an rpg fan.
Joe Redifer

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:09
I have been told that I need to listen to/buy the soundtrack called Wild Arms: Rocking Heart.
Abasoufiane

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:11
the music of wild arms is absoultly amazing, it fits perfectly in the game, and releasing a soundtrack is really no surprise , most of its music are catchy and the theme song is wonderful.
Joe Redifer

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:23
Yeah but this CD is supposedly a guitar arrange like Black Mages and the older Konami Battles.
Abasoufiane

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:30
well the game music is based on acoustic guitare and very similar to western movies (wild wild west) with that whistle ... the theme song you will definitly loce but for the other songs, you would more appreciate them when they are in game.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:35
Baten Kaitos Origins.

I haven' t played it yet but i loved Eternal Wings.
Rampage99

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:40
I grabbed Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia. They looked pretty good so I got them. Abasoufiane, I' ll definately look into the games you mentioned. I do actually have FFVIII, I just haven' t played it yet. The art style in that game blows me away though. I completely forgot I had it since I got it nearly a year ago and only played a brief part of the begning just to see how it compared to FFVII. I wanted to beat VII before I moved on though.

Btw, I' ve heard the Phantasy Star games were good. Anyone played those?
Gaius IV

• Total Posts : 139
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 07:41
Dude you got chrono trigger and chrono saga! thats all you need!
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 14:22
Final Fantasy Tactics and Enchanted Arms are my highest recommendations...

Haha, got ya! No way would I recommend Enchanted Arms :) However, I would recommend Breath of Fire 1,2,3,4 as well as Saga Frontier (Pretty rare, awesome RPG).
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 14:39
Well, just about everyone has recommended what I would recommend...but one...

Panzer Dragoon Saga for Saturn XD

No seriously. Sure, you prolly don' t have a Saturn (neither do I), but it IS possible to find the CD images. Only thing is Bittorrent doesn' t exactly help since there just abouit zilch people seeding/leeching it (it took forever for me to d/l mine).

The main problem is actually getting a working emulator! I could NEVER get mine running properly! Crashes, glitches etc. etc.

But PDS is fantastic! It totally deserves a next-gen remake or sequel!
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 14:51
Shining Force 2!!!?!@!#!>#!$@#$$!!!!!

And Chrono Trigger really does make me squirt bodily fluids!

I believe the 16-Bit Era (and early PS1) yielded the best RPGs, I love the top-down cartoon graphics....I still haven' t gotten fully into 3D RPGs as of late, I always find myself going back to the 2D! Since you live in the US, you might have to do it through emulation, but Terranigma is a great RPG that shouldn' t be missed as well!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 15:00

I finally got back into playing FFVII a couple days ago and have found myself hooked again. Damn fine game. I' m just reaching the Temple of the Ancients so Aries hasn' t died yet. I know I have quite a ways to go before I beat the game but I' m alreadylooking into what I should play next.

What?! AERIS DIES?!!
Tim Strickland

• Total Posts : 101
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 15:02

Dionysius said:
What?! AERIS DIES?!!

Somewhere in the world, a baby just cried.....
Rampage99

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 15:33
Lol, I figured that was general knowledge since the game is what, 8 years old or something like that...

Byakko, I' ve really been wanting to get my hands on PDS but alas, the Saturn is a pain to get ahold of. My friend has one and has the game (along with nearly all the games for the system) but it' s not something he lends out to people which I can understand. I heard it can be emulated but Saturn emulators require a beast of a computer. My alienware may be able to handle it. I' ll find out this week if it' s possible. Not that I' d o such a thing since it' s illegal...

Alecrien, I looked into the Breath of fire series a bit but was unsure about it. I' ll take your reccomendation though. I' ll try to find that Saga Frontier as well.

Tim, I see where you are coming from about the whole 2d thing. Now that I' ve started messing with them a bit (I couldn' t resist taking Chrono Trigger and FFVI for a test run today), I feel a strange attatchment to their style. I' ll also try to find Shining Force 2.

Here' s what I' ve got so far-

FFVI (SNES)
FFVII (PSX) - currently playing
FFVIII (PSX)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Earthbound (SNES) - heard from a friend it one of the best SNES RPGs
Star Ocean (SNES)
Tales of Phantasia (SNES)

*edit: just added-*

Breath of Fire (SNES)
Breath of Fire II (SNES)
Shining force 2 (SNES)
< Message edited by Rampage99 -- 10 Oct 06 7:50:26 >
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 17:45

ORIGINAL: Rampage99

Lol, I figured that was general knowledge since the game is what, 8 years old or something like that...

When I first played FF7 back in 1997 (I think), my friend told me to level up Aeris, because she got some uber spells later on in the game. Imagine my chagrin when my hours of hard levelling work was taken forever mid game. Damn my sadistic friends.

On a recommendation note, get Lufia 2. In my opinion it beats most other RPG' s out there. You won' t be disappointed.
Abasoufiane

RE: RPG binge... - Oct 10, 2006 20:21
tot he guy who recomen breath of fir 4, this game got mediocre reviews, i' d deduct that there are so many much better rpg' s that i and other people recommend.... and even breath of fire 3 isn' t that good, i always start playing it , and last time i checked out the psp version and got about 50% of the game, and i lost interest:

graphics suck
design suck
characters not attaching
childich story
no catching music
very simple and boring combat system
extremly frequent random combats
only four playable characters
no puzzles
few spells and weapon compared to other rpg' s

ok .. you got the point??
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 38