Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers**
lotusson

• Total Posts : 1212
War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jun 29, 2005 16:41
**spoilers (kinda)**

Oh my god this movie freakin' rocked the house!! Easily one of the best directed movies I' ve seen in a really long time. And while it isn' t a terrible deep movie, it does blend pretty well Ray' s (Tom Cruise) family problems with the alien invasion. There are a couple pretty intense moments when Ray finds himself at odds with his family even though they could literally die at any second. And the visuals! If anyone is going to see this movie as a pure popcorn flick, you won' t be disappointed. Steven Spielberg proves once again why he' s the man (and how he must have an infinite amount of money).

I give this movie an " A" . I demand you all go see it.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jun 30, 2005 09:43
It' s my understanding that this version heads in a different direction from the original, while not straying too far.

Definitely on my must-see list!
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jun 30, 2005 19:49
I agree with lotusson on this one... definitely must see. If even just for the visuals. It was funny too, though.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 03, 2005 22:41
Saw it yesterday and liked it better than the original.
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 12, 2005 09:39
i saw it last week

was pretty good actually...

started quickly... but ended quickly too...hmm

great film aprt from the abrupt ending!!
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 14, 2005 18:49
It was a decent movie. Definitely a popcorn flick. Good action, good pace, but the ending sucked so bad it ruined the movie for me. That and I hate Tom Cruise, so really, it was a no win situation from the start.

As an action movie, very good. The directing and visuals were great. enough explosions and destruction to satisfy me, I just wish the ending wasn' t so bad.
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 15, 2005 08:35
The film' s biggest success IMO is a palpable portrayal of fear which persists even after the corny ending. The plot is full of holes and some additions to the original material are a bit pointless (Aliens buried for millenia? Yeah, right) but the sense of immersion and the amazing audio design elevate this quite a bit above the norm.
evangelion

• Total Posts : 91
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 18, 2005 12:00
yeah the production was fantastic. really good.
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 23, 2005 21:16
Damn that movie to hill!!!!!!!!! It had me going for so long and it just ended! WTF was that!!!!! My heart was beating out my chest and the aliens just freak' n kicked the bucket!!!!!

George Foreman gives this movie a 6/10 for not distributing the wealth throughout the film.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 23, 2005 22:41
I thought it was f-ing awesome. The only part I hated was....

*spoiler*

the boy servives the massive wall of fire that wiped out an entire f-ing army! I hated that little sh*t

*end spoiler*

Other than that it rocked.
George Foreman

• Total Posts : 124
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 24, 2005 17:20
Yeah, that boy should have died ten times over, but also how was the grandmothers how completely unharmed because those creatures must have tried to destroy it before the got there. Also it took my friend to explain it to me before I got the fact that the aliens didn' t have an immune system(probably due to the fact that my mom would constantly ask me, " What was gonna happen next" , even at the end).
Terry Bogard

RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 24, 2005 17:35
I already went through the major disappointment of the movie' s ending with the original black & white version of the movie, so I was completely immune to any kind of disappointment with the ending of this remake as a result. lol
Rikka

• Total Posts : 933
RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 24, 2005 23:56
well lucky you terry! Some of us weren' t so privledged

What did you think of the movie otherwise? (and is the ending as lame in the original?)
Terry Bogard

RE: War of the Worlds review thread **spoilers** - Jul 25, 2005 08:33

well lucky you terry! Some of us weren' t so privledged

What did you think of the movie otherwise? (and is the ending as lame in the original?)

I felt the ending was a bit lamer in the original. I remember when I first saw it on the Sci-fi channel a few months ago, after the movie ended one of my cats who was sitting with me and watching the screen looked up at me with one of those " WTF??" looks, I just looked back at him and shrugged. There are certain things this remake did better. I liked the military presence and counter-assault.

But the ending just reminded me a bit too much of the movie, " The Day After Tomorrow" . That also had one of those " WTF" endings. Mankind was getting its ass kicked left and right by mother nature and all of a sudden she just stopped!

Overall I enjoyed the War of the Worlds even though I didn' t like Tom' s character at all and it had nothing to do with his stupidity in real life. It just felt as if his character belonged in another movie instead, OR should have just been a supporting character/one of the civilians vaporized early on in the movie.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll