Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 What game has revolutionized games forever?
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25
tworaw

• Total Posts : 20
What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 16, 2004 22:40
What game do you think has made the deepest impact on games today and forever? for me I would have to put it in paticular genres

Total-War games: Battlefield 1942
Multiplayer FPS: Halflife MODs(Counterstrike,TFC, ect..)
RPG: this is hard one since Fable is not otu yet but I would say KOTOR
FPS: Half-Life
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 16, 2004 23:41
Besides the obvious (PacMan, Mario, Pong) I would have to say the Chronicles of Riddick. Its effects havent been felt yet, but soon will be. Im talking about the effects of closer bridging the gap of Movies and Games, and creating original storys with actual actors and high production values. Look for this to be the new trend in a year or two. And as for your FPS list, Half Life was the innovator on PC, but on console it was the original Goldeneye.
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 00:00
Hmm lets see, in my opinion the following games:

- Zelda, first =)
- Wolfestein/Doom
- Goldeneye
- Mario 64
- Grand Theft Auto (first one offcourse)
- Deus Ex
- Metal Gear Solid
- Resident Evil
- Need for Speed
- Half Life (Story telling shooter)

And that was it, I could probably go on but Im just to tired at this moment :P
Vysehrahd

• Total Posts : 46
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 17:43
I cant see how you can put KOTR as a revolutionary... While I never played it, i have seen my friends play it all the time and i must say, since it is made by bioware you must put into play all the baulders gate games which came out before it. I also noticed that it looked as if it played alot like Never Winter Nights with the feats and combat style. I thought it just looked like a Never Winter with Star Wars skins and a new gfx engine, nothing totaly revolutionary about that.
fathoms

• Total Posts : 1060
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 18:13
KotoR, while top-notch, is most certainly not revolutionary. There is nothing in that game that we haven' t seen before.

Over the years, I' d say:

Pac-Man
Pong
Super Mario Bros.
Tetris
The Legend of Zelda
Half-Life
Baldurs Gate
Final Fantasy VII
Ultima
Gran Turismo
Super Mario 64
Goldeneye (revolution specific to consoles)
Grand Theft Auto III

I like the possible addition of Chronicles of Riddick. It' s my favorite game of 2004 thus far, and there are indeed certain gameplay and visual facets that could potentially be construed as " revolutionary." As immortal said, it may be a new FORM of " revolutionary," bridging the gap between movies and games successfully. It' s borderline, IMO.
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 18:33
The deepest impact to games that I play would have been made by Shining in the Darkness and/or the Shining Force series (or similar games like Phantasy Star and the Ultima series).

The reason: This series of games made role-playing a wonderous adventure, while still allowing some familiarity during gameplay. Many of the basics of this series are still used, in one way or another, by today' s developers as the foundation for the next-generation platform RPG' s.

fathoms

RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 18:46
Shining Force didn' t necessarily revolutionize a genre, it CREATED another genre on it' s own. Or, at the very least, a sub-genre- Strategy/RPG.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 23:41
Black Belt
jabronibasher

• Total Posts : 119
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 17, 2004 23:45
diablo,
half life
top gear
wolfenstein
mario
pac man
xenon
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 18, 2004 05:01
OMG Kid Niki!!!!!!
Alley_Hater

• Total Posts : 340
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 18, 2004 06:26
StarCraft anyone? It' s still played by millions on the internet and reviews say it' s still the best RTS game to date! approved by me...
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 18, 2004 12:58
Sonic The Hedgehog. No, seriously... the only other character in gaming to be popular before him was Mario, and Sonic truly out-stripped him. The Megadrive games were the best looking and fastest games available. Sonic showed the world what a true superstar of gaming looked like.

While today there are 100' s more icons Sonic was the first gaming superstar.

Mario 64 needs some more mention. It was probably the first great 3D plat former and really set the standard for all 3D games to come. LOZ:OOT also managed to be another early shining example of how a game should work in 3D.
fathoms

RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 18, 2004 13:33

Sonic The Hedgehog. No, seriously... the only other character in gaming to be popular before him was Mario, and Sonic truly out-stripped him.

In your mind, maybe, but not in " revolutionary" terms. Not even close. Super Mario Bros. is arguably the most revolutionary game in history, perhaps even more so than Pong. Mario 64 ranks in the top 5, bringing true platform 3D into our homes. Sonic added speed and flash after Mario, and while somewhat EVolutionary, it' s not even close to the same level in terms of REVolutionary. There was no " revolution" based on Sonic, as far as I can tell...but THE revolution began with SMB.
Vysehrahd

RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 19, 2004 15:03
Couldent agree more, i never owned sonic but i have played it quite a bit. I own Super Mario bros. and i dobt that anyone here has never owned the game. As for Star Craft, yeah a great game but its pretty much in the same boat with sonic. WarCraft 1 came out before and im sure there must have been somthing before that.
fathoms

RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 19, 2004 15:08

WarCraft 1 came out before and im sure there must have been somthing before that.

Yeah, it was called Command & Conquer.
Zotty

• Total Posts : 41
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 19, 2004 22:25
In terms of " revolutionized" I think that C&C should get the award and not StarCraft :)
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 20, 2004 00:47
Well I can' t pinpoint one single game, but I' d like to point out Sega AM2' s arcade gmes as a group. They really started to bring high class graphics to the arcade with features like scaling and 3D views which became standard. Unfortunately Sega took the sprite scaling feature out of the Megadrive at the last minute because they felt it would challenge their arcades too much if they left it in.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 20, 2004 14:59
for me, there are a few.

virtua racing-megadrive(genesis): i never would have thought that sega could pull this one off ! with the addition of the SVP (Sega Virtua Processor) sega managed to squeeze a 15 FPS version with all the arcade things there: the selectable vieuwpoints, and all tracks. there is hardly slowdown. but popup is really present in this version. but hey, it whas not even as bad as in the first daytona usa on the sega saturn.

outrun-saturn: the first version witch looked pixel perfect. the only few diferences are: if you leave the game demo, then it will rerun stage one again and again. while the arcade version continued driving after showing the hall of fame. also the music' s on cd, meaning that if you end the game with little to no time left, the music end' s before the ending is over. but exept for these small nigglets, the game is spot on !

crazy taxi-dreamcast: naomi really proved it' s worth with this game. this is a real " feel good" game. cool special moves, superb graphics, and much deeper than you' d expect from a arcade racer. i even prefer the controlls of the dreamcast version then the arcade one !

gran turismo 3 A0-spec-playstation 2: this game whas the first game that proved me that sony' s machine really COULD play phenomenal games. at first, i did not thought much of the PS2. and like with all the gran turismo games, there are much cars to tune and race.

max payne 2-pc: there are so much FPS games on the pc, but for me, this game is the best of them (until half life 2 i gues). superb graphics, cool " bullet time" effects, and a great story. and the voice acting is really good.

and i guess that after the release of outrun 2 on the xbox, that that game will also turn up here, becouse that game also has that " feel good" feelings, superb graphics, and blinding fast speed. lets hope that exept for playing trough xbox live, the game will also support lan play.
Vysehrahd

RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 21, 2004 00:53
I always thought that the faces were always way overemphasized Max Payne... it really really bothered me.
music_maniac1965

• Total Posts : 70
RE: What game has revolutionized games forever? - Aug 21, 2004 14:18

ORIGINAL: Vysehrahd

I always thought that the faces were always way overemphasized Max Payne... it really really bothered me.

well, if i play a game like max payne 2, i look at the whole package. not just a few details. for me, max payne 2 is (at the moment) the best first person shooter. but hey, opinions are made to be diferent. otherwhise there' d be none left to argue
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 25

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message