Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Game boy bomb
konrad

• Total Posts : 431
Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 14:44
A junior high school student was taken into custody after bringing a game boy bomb-a hollowed out game boy filled with gun powder- to school. ......Videogames are getting to peoples minds these days. Your thoughts?
*I found this in an EGM*
< Message edited by konrad -- 4/9/2004 2:48:06 PM >
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 15:36
The kid should be forced to plug the gameboy in and try to play it.
konrad

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 15:57
indeed, lol
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 16:06
i still stick with the idea its not the games making pl do what they do. Ppl (kids included) been doing this stuff long before gamign was around. What makes it worse is that this is starting to look more common because now we have the ability to broadcast every horrid event that happens with the news, aplifying the effect that kids are out killing left and right....i make no sence.

This reminds me of the stuff said in " Bowling for Columbine" that movie was very well done.
konrad

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 17:34
Its not the games that do this to the people, but many people arent raised right.
Rampage99

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 19:10
I agree, games do little to influence people. They said the worst effect a game really has on a person is that it makes people more shy to real people. That' s pretty much all scientists could find wrong with it.

It' s funny because games right now are still no where near the extent of violence and sex that movies and even TV have. Hell, more people are shown R movies than people have ever played video games. Even more, movies look real, games still don' t have the capabilities to really reproduce how an actual death would look. SOF was about as close as any game has gotten with it' s independant limb sections. Even the infamous GTA can' t touch what is shown on TV. It' s hilarious that these politicians, lawyers, and parents think otherwise.
RavenShadow

• Total Posts : 680
RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 19:40
I think it has been scientifically supported (maybe) that video games are good for people for certain reasons.
Where most people blame video games for the deviant behaviour of children, it was shown that video games actually reduce deviant behaviour because it allows the children to take out frustrations in the game (i.e. live through the characters and get out their frustrations). Whereas with movies, one attempts to mimic what was seen because they had no control over the characters (unlike video games) so they go out and act out the movies
Honestly, how many of you came out of a ninja movie when you were a kid and didnt play fight with your friends because of it.

Other benefits to games include increasing hand and eye coordination and also improves visual skills. Some places use fast paced action games to facilitate the healing process after catarax surgery
RavenShadow

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 09, 2004 19:45
Oh another thing
The politicians like the deviant behaviour to video games
This is only correlation that the two tend to happen together but anyone knows (or should know) that correlation does not mean causation.
Just because two things are linked does not mean one causes the other. The cause is unknown and the direction of the influence is also unknown (e.g. the deviant behaviour may be causing the kids to play games rather than playing games causes deviant behaviour)
So the argument that politicians and the like are pushing is in a sense comminting a scientific faux pas

* there is my two cents haha
< Message edited by RavenShadow -- 4/9/2004 7:46:29 PM >
Mass X

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 10, 2004 00:38
I recomend all ppl go out and see " Bowling for Colombine" it doesnt reaslly give out direct veiws but it certainly makes you think. As i said before this whole things about kids influenced by the media is bull...look at the president of the US - hes out sending ppl to kill and be killed..why dont we blame him for the influence?
Rampage99

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 10, 2004 01:35
Hey, let' s not be bashing the president now...
konrad

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 10, 2004 03:32
Games, do increase hand-eye cordination, I agree. I think people need something to blame, and that is video games.
RavenShadow

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 10, 2004 05:39
People always need a scapegoat
Mass X

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 11, 2004 03:50
I wasnt bashing the pres I was just using him as an example. Think about it, games get blamed for its violent acts and what not. But, the president, like I said, is sending ppl out to kill and be killed, why dont they blame him for some the influence as well. Or even the abusive family members som kids grow up with. These are just some examples of what else can take some blame if games are gonna get spotlighted. Kids are surrounded day in and day out by violence.

So basically im just saying the games IMO are not the biggest influence on every kids life...most kids cant even afford games and game systems without a parent, hell som can' t afford it nowadays period.
< Message edited by Mass X -- 4/11/2004 3:58:24 AM >
Rampage99

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 11, 2004 04:14
I see your point but the President is sending people to war to help people and secure freedom.
Mass X

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 11, 2004 04:21
true, I probably could' ve used a different example. Sorry if it may offend ne1, but purly example use only. It in no way states my veiws on the president or his current course of actions.
Rampage99

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 11, 2004 16:48
You didn' t offend me, I just wanted to point out the difference. I knew what you were getting at, I just found it was said... well could have been said better. It' s a good point though. War does influence our lives in a big way.
konrad

RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 12, 2004 16:04
that was confusing, thanks for clearing it up
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Game boy bomb - Apr 20, 2004 18:20
Okay, if your not, I will. President Bush talks about peace, and America in trouble with teen violence. Thats just a damn OXYMORON- " fighting for peace" . If children see the president wanting to kill, they think its right. So, next time, sue Bush as a bad influence. I, for one, am not proud to be an American.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll