Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 06:43
Alright...let me get this off my back...WHAT THE FUCK SEGA!?

Alright, let' s begin with the goods:

-They fixed the camera since the demo.
-It has the same city system as Sonic Adventure...however it isn' t as annoying.
-Sonic hasn' t looked any better.
-Finally a Sonic game that gets his speed right.
-It' s a Sonic game.

Alright, now the Bad:

-The camera still has issues although it was fixed.
-Dialogue is Cheesy, way worse than Enchanted Arms.
-Lip synching can sometimes remind you of N3.
-Finally a Sonic game that gets his speed right.
-It' s a 3D Sonic game.
-Glitchtastic, generally they don' t hinder gameplay much though.
-Checkpoints are way too spaced, you die often.
-Boss fights (At least the first 2...were annoying, the first was fine...second was not cool pretty much an instant kill if the guy hits you...which is BS in a Sonic game.)
-Annoying as hell Loading times (It takes 20 sec. to load for a 4 sec. scene of a NPC model speaking and a text bubble, then it goes to a loading screen again).

To elaborate on that certain good/bad point. " Finally a Sonic game that gets his speed right." This is great that they finally got him amazingly fast like he should be, but at the same time is sucks majorly. He is TOO fast...we know Sonic is fast, but controlling him is a pain in the ass because of his speed. There are certain levels where the whole level is in Sonic' s fastest speed. It controls like a rail racer, you control his movements...but he keeps moving...even if he is hit.

Overall this is a 6/10, Kameo was the last good Platformer for 360, Sonic can at least tide you over ' til the next one if you are a platformer gamer.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 08:04
After that demo I wasn' t expecting much from this, Sega should just stop making games for a while and take a long hard look at themselves, they are really sucking lately.
Alecrein

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 09:45
Yeah, for shame Sega (yet I am still playing Sonic :/)
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 12:28
I picked up Sonic for the 360 today and am about to give it a try in a bit..

Let me add my brief impressions of Sonic Rivals for the PSP..

Make sure everyone who buys this game, wears the wrist strap while playing cause you will be tempted to throw that thing against the wall EARLY on in the game or just slam it to the ground.. The game can be quite frustrating a lot of times.. The CPU controlled rivals are always on your a$$ and will pass you often, and you wind up having to pull off every trick in the book to beat them to the finish line - and this all happens from beginning to end. The game' s got a crazy difficulty level.. I don' t know what it is about Sonic racing games, regardless of the developers, they are all frustrating.. Sonic R was a pain in the a$$ with annoying controls, Sonic Riders was another big pain in the a$$ with annoying track designs and controls, and now Sonic Rivals has annoying A.I. and a difficulty setting that can' t be adjusted.. The A.I. rivals just keep nailing you with their attacks regardless of what you do.

The graphics are ok, though I know the PSP is capable of MUCH more. The music, well, it' s there. Generic fodder at best, craptastic at worst. I also got the game this afternoon and its only saving grace so far are the competitive boss battles. Currently on the 2nd boss battle, took me about 4 - 5 tries to beat Silver during the second race. That race literally had me screaming every time I loss cause the finish line was literally just several feet away on three occasions and he managed to stun me from behind with some shock attack long enough to pass me by and cross the finish line first. I swear, I DID scream in the car, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 21 Nov 06 4:31:19 >
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 14:13
You know, the funny thing is, we' re not allowed to publish our review of this game until this Friday...
Alecrein

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 15:04
Sega forcing you guys to withhold? Or just a choice of you guys?
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 21, 2006 16:43

Sega forcing you guys to withhold? Or just a choice of you guys?

Sounds like an embargo to me.
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 03:13
I know what to expect for 360 Sonic but I' ll enjoy the thing if it' s on par or better than Sonic Heroes. It *has* to be better than the Shadow game though, I couldn' t even finish the thing properly it was that bad. The 360 demo was promasing enough in so far as the level had lots of routs and was quite fun. It glitched more than I remember the Sonic Adventure games to but overall I was happy. I' m not expecting anything more than a 5/10 from most places but it has to score better than Shadow.

Kyo.k

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 04:07
I' m expecting it to play better than Heroes but worse than the Sonic stages from Sonic Adventure 1 &2. Graphically it looks lovely, certainly one of the best seen on next gen so far. However the 360 version features a somewhat more erratic framerate compared to the PS3 build.

Sadly all it' s good looks won' t save it if Sonic Team still can' t sort out what they broke further with Heroes and Shadow.
< Message edited by kyo.k -- 21 Nov 06 20:08:54 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 04:09

I picked up Sonic for the 360 today and am about to give it a try in a bit..

Let me add my brief impressions of Sonic Rivals for the PSP..

Make sure everyone who buys this game, wears the wrist strap while playing cause you will be tempted to throw that thing against the wall EARLY on in the game or just slam it to the ground.. The game can be quite frustrating a lot of times.. The CPU controlled rivals are always on your a$$ and will pass you often, and you wind up having to pull off every trick in the book to beat them to the finish line - and this all happens from beginning to end. The game' s got a crazy difficulty level.. I don' t know what it is about Sonic racing games, regardless of the developers, they are all frustrating.. Sonic R was a pain in the a$$ with annoying controls, Sonic Riders was another big pain in the a$$ with annoying track designs and controls, and now Sonic Rivals has annoying A.I. and a difficulty setting that can' t be adjusted.. The A.I. rivals just keep nailing you with their attacks regardless of what you do.

The graphics are ok, though I know the PSP is capable of MUCH more. The music, well, it' s there. Generic fodder at best, craptastic at worst. I also got the game this afternoon and its only saving grace so far are the competitive boss battles. Currently on the 2nd boss battle, took me about 4 - 5 tries to beat Silver during the second race. That race literally had me screaming every time I loss cause the finish line was literally just several feet away on three occasions and he managed to stun me from behind with some shock attack long enough to pass me by and cross the finish line first. I swear, I DID scream in the car, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Kikizo is leaking us confidential information. I' m going to be the one little twerp that copy/pastes it onto every forum with the word " game" in it, just to see what kind of upheaval I can get.

As for Kameo being the last good platformer on 360, I was almost disappointed, it was very action oriented, almost too much so. The same with Naughty Dog' s new thing. Why couldn' t we get a Crash Bandicoot or Spyro game in the mix? (Crash Bandicoot by naughty dog) (Spyro by insomniac) Yes, I know why we can' t, but WHY CAN' T WE MAN!!!
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 21 Nov 06 20:12:00 >
Alecrein

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 06:36

but worse than the Sonic stages from Sonic Adventure 1 &2.

Yeah, extremely worse...I just got to a level where Sonic is on a Snowboard...I have never wanted to kill a developer more...Horrid Controls, the controls aren' t very responsive, and this level is glitching like nothing else in the damn game...freaking Sega.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 09:32
I' m still getting it... don' t ask..

I played Heroes with one eye open and vomited during Shadow The Hedgehog,
and I am back for more dosages of pain...

I can' t wait till I start making games, then I' ll buy the rights to ALL of Sega' s
franchises and bring them back to standards...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 11:06
You mean, Sega is going to have a fixed-point suck level of under 5.6%. Woohoo, it' s the end of the world & I' ve gotten to play all 3 consoles!!!
Alecrein

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 12:30
I think what will really piss me off, is if Sega (due to their delay of Sonic for the PS3) releases a better version on the PS3.
Terry Bogard

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 14:22

I think what will really piss me off, is if Sega (due to their delay of Sonic for the PS3) releases a better version on the PS3.

Even though I bought the 360 version I can only hope and pray they release a better version on the PlayStation 3 .. Hell, they NEED to release a better version on the PS3!
Alecrein

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 22, 2006 15:34
I wouldn' t be surprised if it is just a direct port and they just didn' t want to release Sonic at launch because of the PS3 shortages.
Terry Bogard

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 23, 2006 00:40
I find it a bit sad that I enjoy Dead Or Alive Xtreme 2 more than Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360..
whatabout_paul

• Total Posts : 1227
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 23, 2006 03:03
They had it on a demo pod in my local Game store which shocked me as it' s not out in the UK till Friday. Anyway, all I did was run round one of the town stages a bit with Tails following me and I was happier than I thought it' d be. I' ll go back tomorrow to see if I can actually get into an action stage but I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside watching just Sonic and Tails run about.
< Message edited by whatabout_paul -- 22 Nov 06 19:04:04 >
Terry Bogard

RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 24, 2006 04:35
After putting in a little bit of time into the two games, I' m actually enjoying them a lot more..

Sonic Rivals is still a frustrating game a lot of times but I finally beat it last night and the last level is wonderful and is what I wish the entire game was, pure high-speed platforming goodness!!

As for Sonic the Hedgehog for the Xbox 360, my initial impressions of the retail version weren' t that great but after beating Silver, I am enjoying the game.. It does have its problems: Camera angles and the infamous falling-through-walls glitch, but other than those annoyances, so far, I' m liking this game better than every 3D Sonic game that came AFTER the original Sonic Adventure. The town stages aren' t as ' charming' as those in the original Sonic Adventure but fortunately they' re a little easier to navigate.

I think the developers serious need to RETIRE Sonic from the snowboarding scene. He sucks! The snowboarding in this game is worst than that in the original Sonic Adventure. Such a frustrating mess to control a lot of times!

Update: I' ve put a significant amount of time into Sonic' s missions and gotta say that I' m enjoying them a lot. I have no idea why the game' s getting such low ratings. I guess once I suffer through the other character missions I' ll have a much better idea. But still, once you figure out some sort of workaround to some of the game' s problems it' s not so bad.. The gameplay is definitely solid, it' s just the technical issues that mar what' s otherwise a fun Sonic game..
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 24 Nov 06 0:57:16 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Alright, you guys had to know I would do it. Sonic the Hedgehog Review. - Nov 24, 2006 04:43
I' d like AM2 to do te next Sonic game. Sonic Team have simply lost their touch...
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 23

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message