Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22
Phoenixxx1974

• Total Posts : 332
Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 29, 2005 17:27
Hello everyone i just wanted everyone' s opinion on what good ol' ken said abou the PS3.

" Our ideal [for the PlayStation 3] is for consumers to think to themselves, ' OK, I' ll work more hours and buy it.' We want people to feel that they want it, no matter what."

How many people want to work more hours so they can spend $400 when the PS3 comes out on launch day or so?

I for one will not go out and buy it just because or because Mr. Kutaragi wants us to. I am going to wait a bit until i find more then one game which wil make it worth buying like Final Fantasy 13 and possibly a Kingdom Hearts 3 etc.. but since Square-Enix is going to support all 3 next -gen i might as well just get it on the Revolution since i plan to buy that ASAP mainly for the download feature and i am a loyal Nintendo fan not to mention the best first party games any of the 3 will have). And/or the Xbox 2 if i happen to win one this august on the Mountain Dew Promotion hehe. If does realse the games for all 3 i hope they make each version different like secret or special places, bosses, magic and summon spells just for that verison then it will cool to buy all 3 you know? Plus it wil make Square-Enix huge stupidly high amounts of money.

Is it me or is Ken full of himself? The success of the PS2 has gone to his head.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 29, 2005 18:12
Despite Kennyboy' s posturing I still believe the Playstation 3 is coming in at the traditional $299 mark. I' ve always given Sony credit for understanding where the mass market price point is at for a gaming console so I just don' t see them driving away the more casual/mainstream gaming sector of their userbase. It COULD happen no doubt, but until they make an official announcement on price, $299 + tax is what I' m saving up
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 29, 2005 18:21
well according to Kikizo' s own news story, games are fun, and the story from gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/28/news_6128295.aspx

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5215

http://games.kikizo.com/news/200506/160.asp

they all say it will cost $400 and Sony is taking a $100 hit on each other because it wil cost around $500 to make each.
Terry Bogard

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 29, 2005 18:42
Merril Lynch was also one of the firms that predicted the Playstation 2 would more than likely cost $400+ so those so-called analysts can bite me

When Sony comes out and makes an official announcement on the pricing of the unit then I' ll bite :).

Something like;

Sony: " Look b' tches! The PS3 will cost $699 in the U.S. and 30 Trillion Yen in Japan. Thank you for supporting Playstation!"
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 30 Jun 05 2:43:17 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 29, 2005 20:55
Ken Kutagari is a moron and the world hates him. I can think of nobody on this planet who is happy that he is, in fact, a part of the population. Just like Tomonobu Itagaki, except that Tomonobu is very happy about himself, so that makes one person who approves of his existence.

Maybe Kenny-poo is trying to hype up the price of the PS3 to extreme amounts so that when Sony finally sez " $299!!!!" everyone will be like " OMG I CANT BLEIVE TH3Y WARA ABL3 2 GET TEH PRIEC DOWN SO LOW WHN IT WAS GONA COST SOO MUCH BFORE!!!1!!!! OMG WTF LOL"
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 30 Jun 05 4:56:35 >
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 08:19
you forgot " WOOT WOOT!!!!!!"
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 09:12
With many of the next-gen titles expected to be release as multi-platform, there' s no REAL need to buy a system for it' s exclusives...Sony appears to be headed in the wrong direction with regards to its price-point.

And to be honest, there has been little offered for past Sony systems that I even like...and most of that is 3rd party releases.

I' ll enjoy my XBOX & XBOX 360 ($299)...thank you.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 09:52
These Q&A are taken from PSM:

Will PS3 play PSone and PS2 games?
Yes

Will PS3 play DVDs?
Yes

Do I need a special TV for PS3?
No, but having an HDTV with HDMI input will definitely help.

How many controllers will it support?
Up to seven (wireless)

Can I use my PS2 peripherals with it?
Possibly via an add-on adapter.

When will PS3 be released?
Spring 2006, potentially world-wide.

How much will it cost?
Less than 40,000 yen ($370) in Japan; likely $299 in the US.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 09:55
ok for the sake of argument how many of you will pay $400 for it?
Terry Bogard

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 11:56
I' d get one at $400 in a heartbeat, right after borrowing the money from Joe
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 12:12
what about all the launch problems Sony products have? Hence the PS2 dvd driver issue (which was japan only since it wasn' t a simultaneous release) and the tons of glitches and problems the PSP had.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 12:20
look, sony are not going to price the thing so high [as 400] that it will exculde most of the payinging public, they will lower the price, and even if they dont meet there 299 usuall they wont surpass it by much, they leraned that lesson from the psx which was way too ovber priced!

Anyway, i wont worry about the price if i was getting one at launch, i would worry about how on earth could you can get one!
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 12:29
so you think it will sell out day one everywhere?

i am not sure, yes there are alot of Sony fans who will buy it no matter what ASAP, but i think alot of people have learned from the DS and PSP and they will wait until they release BIG games people actually want like i am doing. I will wait until the RPGs came out which is the only reason why i bought a PS1 and PS2 in the first place (weeks and months later when they did come out) and my friends have said the same thing and other posts i have read on other sites that people will wait for the games.

Plus if MS is doing what i read they will do which i think is brilliant and drop the price of the XBox 360 since it will have a 3-4 month headstart plus they should have major releases by that time we will see i am just curious when Nintendo plans to release theirs. If it' s the same time as the PS3 and the Rev will have a much cheaper pricetag plus the download feature i think the PS3 might suffer some.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 17:12
did you see that the first batch of 360' s are only going to support dvd? that is just going to hinder the console hugly, first unhappy consumer who bought it, then the games will be limited to the size of the disc, which is fine for todays games but for next-gen its going to need much bigger storage.

Buying a conosle on its launch day is stupid anyway, wait a month and pay 100 less for it.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jun 30, 2005 18:21
I think a lot of the people here are viewing Sony' s alleged pricing scheme for the PS3 through their wallets. Yeah, it would be nice if the next generation of consoles sold for the same price as the current gen did upon release, but I doubt it' s feasible, or smart from a corporate standpoint. I mean, look at REALITY. The house I live in now (renting, BTW) cost the owners $237,000. Now they' re trying to sell it for $495,000 just 3 years later!! It' s true, real-estate and video games are totally unrelated, but the fact remains that prices go UP. That' s why the 360 is going to sell for $299. Yeah, that' s the price for the one WITHOUT the hard drive, I bet. But I ask you; who' s going to buy THAT one? Not me. I' ll take the forty gig-er, if they offer it initially.

You could just go with the Revolution, which will probably be cheap, but I think gamers now-a-days are a little more demanding as far as performance, and will pay for it. I know I will! I honestly don' t see Ninteno being around for the console race after this one. They should just pack up their bags now, and just develop games exclusively for the Xbox 360. Between M$ fanboys and Nintendo fanboys, they' d crush Sony. Not that I' d want that.

As far as waiting " a month" until prices drop on the new consoles; that' s ridiculous! It takes much longer than that, and video game players are NOT the most patient people in the world (anxious would be a better description!)
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jul 01, 2005 05:12
Chee Saw' s got a point...if the XBOX 360 is $299 w/o the harddrive, then it will probably sell at something more like $399 with it.

What would be the difference then if Sony' s console comes in at $370-$399?

The disc format issue is really a non-issue, since the developers still have not completely filled the current disc capacity. Any game released on a higher-capacity disc format would be a clear sign that the cost of the game will be significantly higher to compensate for all the extra content.

ok for the sake of argument how many of you will pay $400 for it?

It sounds like a lot...

But after thinking about it, it appears to be a decent price point for all that will be offered.
Terry Bogard

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jul 01, 2005 08:45
Hardcore gamers and early adopters who will quickly snatch up a console at $400 only make up a small percentage of Sony' s userbase. They know that hardcore gaming fans will re-mortgage their homes and sell off their body parts just to get the newest gaming hardware but casual gamers don' t have that kind of dedication.

That' s partially why $299 has often been seen as the mass market price and anything above that has been met with plenty of hesitation from gamers on these shores. As hard as I try I can' t think of a single $350 and up console that had any real success in the U.S.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 can' t survive on just hardcore gaming support alone, and at $400 that' s basically what they' re asking for.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jul 01, 2005 12:12
Which i think Nintendo knows they always come in with a cheaper price the most i see the Rev to be sold for is $250 and for Nintendo that is more then usual. From what i read the Xbox 2 is supposed to come with a HDD but the PS3 is not. I also haven' t heard any news of the Rev using HDDs. Nintendo says the " virtual console" is for when you download games but you are going to need a BIG HDD if you download lots of the old games. Yes they are small but they eventually add up especially the N64 ones. Plus i think Nintendo learned their lesson about games at launch from the Gamecube and the DS.
Phoenixxx1974

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jul 02, 2005 10:43
Hey people so if the PS3 does comeout with a $300 pricetag it will not include a HDD which means you will have to spend MORE money buying the harddrive, which can easily make the PS3 cost more then $400 while the Xbox 2 will come with a 20gig HDD for $300. It seems that MS is committed and determined to be #1 by making the right moves while the cocky Sony think they can do no wrong and think everyone will happily pay $300 plus an extra $100-150 for a HDD, and just work extra hours for it. I also read that they reduced the power of the Cell process from 3.2Ghz to like 2.6 or something.

So releasing the PS3 for anything more then $300 will be stupid and could seriously hurt them, and may be unrecoverable especially if the reports of them losing $100 at the $400 pricetage if they price it at $300 they will take a $200 hit on each one which means the first loss will be even greater then the suspected $1B and be a lot more which has to hurt even considering how much they have. Also since MS supposedly plans to reduce the price of the Xbox 2 when the PS3 comes out WITH a HDD and the Rev will come out already cheaper then the PS3 with the download feature and solid first party launch titles.

This will be a interesting fight. If you plan to buy all three you better start saving hehe
Terry Bogard

RE: Ken Kutaragi' s idea of the PS3 - Jul 02, 2005 16:48

Hey people so if the PS3 does comeout with a $300 pricetag it will not include a HDD which means you will have to spend MORE money buying the harddrive, which can easily make the PS3 cost more then $400 while the Xbox 2 will come with a 20gig HDD for $300.

That would mean that the PS2 also cost gamers $400+ at launch because an extra controller, memory card, remote, etc. wasn' t included with their units and had to pay extra for those additional yet optional items ;)

The HDD is and should be an optional device.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 22

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message