Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Orange Box 360 [Updated Jul 08]
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The Orange Box 360 [Updated Jul 08] - Feb 01, 2007 08:41
I' ll be updating this thread with some moderately interesting pictures & explainations every time I strip down something awesome or paint something nifty.

Current Project: The Orange Box - The Box (Page 3)

Edit: Thread name changed once I realized every person I know who refers to themselves in the third person is a twat.

______________________________________________________________________________________
The Playstation 3

Getting Inside the Freaking Thing!
My first impressions of the inside is that it was like a puzzle. You pull some footies off, unscrew for a while, spend 3 minutes trying to get the lid off before finally, you realise that the lid slides down (down if the PS3 was standing up).

Once that' s off, we were expecting to see the " amazing" Cerr Processoru hard at work doing teraflops of something. No such luck, the first case was just cosmetic, & there was an almost identical lid underneath the first. That one had 5 or so screws that held the whole beast together. A couple clips later & we had the lid tipped off, & were staring at craploads of sheet-metal.

Poppin' Stuff Off
This was the 60 gig model, so we started by popping off the Memory Stick slot. Here I should note something. It doesn' t appear that the power supply takes up any more room internally than externally. It' s nestled quite nicely between the left of the PS3, and the Blu-Ray drive. I' ll explain where that extra inch or so of the PS3' s height came from in a sec.

LOL, Cooling
So we remove power supply & drive & see what? but more sheet metal. Removing the motherboard, I feel something on the back that isn' t flush. We flip it over, and find one of the biggest electronics fans I have ever seen. It was freaking huge. We remove this fan, & here is where I give Sony some real credit.

Their cooling system is amazing. They have their mega-uber huge fan surrounded by a very cool heat sink. It actually surrounds the fan, & still manages to touch Cell and RSX chips. Also, the cooling system is about as tall as the extra addition to the final PS3' s height. Last minute problems with heating methinks? Either way, it was a brilliant solution, & I give them credit.

Final Impression? (on the hardware) B+

I won' t go into detail on the motherboard, that' s what Youtube is for, but my final impression? It took a lot of smart thinking to fit all that stuff into something of that size, not to mention cool it. I probably bored most of you to sleep, but I figured somebody would find it interesting.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Jul 24, 2008 17:04>

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message