Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Orange Box 360 [Updated Jul 08]
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 68
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
The Orange Box 360 [Updated Jul 08] - Feb 01, 2007 08:41
I' ll be updating this thread with some moderately interesting pictures & explainations every time I strip down something awesome or paint something nifty.

Current Project: The Orange Box - The Box (Page 3)

Edit: Thread name changed once I realized every person I know who refers to themselves in the third person is a twat.

______________________________________________________________________________________
The Playstation 3

Getting Inside the Freaking Thing!
My first impressions of the inside is that it was like a puzzle. You pull some footies off, unscrew for a while, spend 3 minutes trying to get the lid off before finally, you realise that the lid slides down (down if the PS3 was standing up).

Once that' s off, we were expecting to see the " amazing" Cerr Processoru hard at work doing teraflops of something. No such luck, the first case was just cosmetic, & there was an almost identical lid underneath the first. That one had 5 or so screws that held the whole beast together. A couple clips later & we had the lid tipped off, & were staring at craploads of sheet-metal.

Poppin' Stuff Off
This was the 60 gig model, so we started by popping off the Memory Stick slot. Here I should note something. It doesn' t appear that the power supply takes up any more room internally than externally. It' s nestled quite nicely between the left of the PS3, and the Blu-Ray drive. I' ll explain where that extra inch or so of the PS3' s height came from in a sec.

LOL, Cooling
So we remove power supply & drive & see what? but more sheet metal. Removing the motherboard, I feel something on the back that isn' t flush. We flip it over, and find one of the biggest electronics fans I have ever seen. It was freaking huge. We remove this fan, & here is where I give Sony some real credit.

Their cooling system is amazing. They have their mega-uber huge fan surrounded by a very cool heat sink. It actually surrounds the fan, & still manages to touch Cell and RSX chips. Also, the cooling system is about as tall as the extra addition to the final PS3' s height. Last minute problems with heating methinks? Either way, it was a brilliant solution, & I give them credit.

Final Impression? (on the hardware) B+

I won' t go into detail on the motherboard, that' s what Youtube is for, but my final impression? It took a lot of smart thinking to fit all that stuff into something of that size, not to mention cool it. I probably bored most of you to sleep, but I figured somebody would find it interesting.
<message edited by Eddie_the_Hated on Jul 24, 2008 17:04>
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 09:00
Was it easy to put it back together again? Must admit as a self confessed techy, both professionally and hobyist I was waiting to hear from someone regarding the cooling system for the PS3, sounds like they have actually done a good job, here' s hoping it does actually do the job.

Nice post Eddie.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 15:27
A nice read, i like these insides of machines threads. On a related note, has anyone heard or experienced any hardware problems with the ps3, compared to say the ps2 or 360?
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 20:31
Was this the real ps3 or the Eddie home made version?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 21:12
" A nice read, i like these insides of machines threads. On a related note, has anyone heard or experienced any hardware problems with the ps3, compared to say the ps2 or 360?"

The only thing I' ve seen besides the fact that the display PS3' s don' t seem to work is that the disc loading slot gets jammed preventing you from inserting a disc, the Wii has the same problem. It' s probably just a small minority with this problem. The 360 takes the cake this gen for the console with the most malfunctions.
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 21:16

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

The 360 takes the cake this gen for the console with the most malfunctions.

That is bull!! Sheer bull! You just get more for your money with the 360. If you can' t see that, then you' re a blatant fanboy!
uumai

RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 01, 2007 22:49
lol yes tiz.. more malfunctions but that isn' t the kinda thing i want for my money...
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 02, 2007 04:39

That is bull!! Sheer bull! You just get more for your money with the 360. If you can' t see that, then you' re a blatant fanboy!

lol yes tiz.. more malfunctions but that isn' t the kinda thing i want for my money...

Thanks for that guys, made me laugh
Tiz

• Total Posts : 3158
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 02, 2007 06:05

ORIGINAL: Avarice

Glad what I said had the intended effect.
uumai

RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 02, 2007 06:30

ORIGINAL: Tiz

Me too, and this is exactly why tiz is great
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 02, 2007 06:31
*Ends Holy War before it begins*

Was this the real ps3 or the Eddie home made version?
This bad boy?

That one has been retired, I converted it into a cassete player with my mad modding skills (Read as, removing some masking tape ) I' ve still got my " modded" Wii though!

Was it easy to put it back together again?
Easy is subjective. If I had just started modding/tinkering, I probably couldn' t have done it. There was a lot of stacking, with stuff overlapping everywhere, & that confuses some people.
I took great care in making sure I knew how mind you, seeing as the system still worked. I still can' t belive the guy let me do it.

A nice read, i like these insides of machines threads. On a related note, has anyone heard or experienced any hardware problems with the ps3, compared to say the ps2 or 360?
Glad to share the info Uumai. Yeah, there' s the obvious overheating problem that plagued a ridiculous percent of the launch consoles, something like 5%. And I' ve seen vids of broken PS3' s who' s drives won' t take disks. However, we opened up the drive (Yes, the $400 drive) & it seems like it could be very easily fixed.

It actually reminded me of the PS2 " Disk-Read Errors" , where if you knew what cog to reset. 90% of the DRE consoles were just fine. I actually payed for my 360 repairing that stuff.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 02, 2007 07:14
I should add that the PS3 still works.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 03, 2007 06:51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tiz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Funny indeed made me laugh too
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 04, 2007 23:24
Laughing at the stilted conversation.[:' (]
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Feb 05, 2007 19:24
Nice info.
I thought that i was the only one amazed by the cooling system in the PS3 :)
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Eddie Opens the PSP to Find... - Mar 22, 2007 04:42
I' m seeing if I can get my hands on an HDD iPod, as I' ve wondered how they' re wired, but in the meantime, you' ll have to make do with pictures of me tearing apart my latest electronic baby.

Cleaning a PSP Screen

My immaculate workspace. Comprising of:
2 Jewlers Screwdrivers (1 flat/1 phillips)
1 Alcohol Pad (2 if you' ve got ' em).
1 1 Glasses cleaning pad or other microfiber.
1 Felty thingy I had lying around.

Unscrewed first 2 screws, then hunted around ' till I found the 2 black screws behind the battery pack. Normally all this would be old hat, but considering I' d only had the thing for half-an-hour before I got to work...

After unscrewing all 4 screws, I proceeded to pull on the bottom of the PSP (all of this is done with the PSP upside-down, to avoid buttons falling out everywhere). It took me a sec to find out how to pull it, I eventually gave it a pull from the bottom & it slid right off.

And there it was, the nasty dusty grimy screen in question. As you can see from the picture, there' s actually an outer lens on the shell that sticks about 1/4 of a centimeter to prevent kiddies from trying to get " that pretty rainbowy thingy" to show up. I first took the little glasses cleaner, & attacked the rubber connectors beneath the buttons, being very careful not to touch the LCD screen with the cleaner, as it' d scratch the mess out of it. After cleaning the contacts, I proceeded to the screen itself. I gave it a light swab of alcohol with a very smooth pad & waited for it to dry before trying to pick up any missed dust. Grinding a wet piece of sand across the screen would definately do more harm than good.

I only gave the outer screen a quick swab with the pad, as there isn' t anything I can do for the few scratches in the screen with what I have now.

And... TaDaa! I didn' t brick the thing! I' m definately replacing the battery, as I' m only getting about 3.8 hrs per charge, but so far, I' m pretty pleased with it right now. I' m considering giving it aftermarket red buttons, as those would just be too freaking sweet, so I' ll post a picture of that if/once I install them.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 21 Mar 07 20:51:03 >
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Eddie Opens the PS3 to Find... - Mar 22, 2007 04:50
Good stuff, I will have to show this to my friend. His launch unit has gotten some dust behind the screen in the last couple months.

Are you planning on putting one of those little film covers that goes on top of the screen? One of my buddies has that on his, and his screen is still mint.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Eddie Opens the PSP to Find... - Mar 22, 2007 04:51
A corded Compaq mouse!?

Eddie buddy, that' s so 1995...
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Eddie Opens the (PSP) to Find... - Mar 22, 2007 05:10
And that' s why it' s been sitting in my old parts drawer for the past 5 years! All that stuff except for the 360 controller came out while searching for the jewelers screwdrivers.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: Eddie Opens the (PSP) to Find... - Mar 22, 2007 06:38
This guy thinks he' s smart because he can open consoles.

LOL.

Get a job.
Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 20 of 68

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message