Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie...
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 20, 2006 18:06
Erm, no! That' s a sick joke!

Anyway, the real reason for this thread is that Universal & Fox have bailed on the Halo movie.

Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox have backed out of co-financing the big screen adaptation of Microsoft' s Halo, reports Variety.

The trade says that while rumors had the studios concerned over a budget that was rising above the original projected $135 million budget, the filmmakers said the double defection came after Universal and Fox played hardball and unsuccessfully tried to get the filmmakers and Microsoft to reduce their profit participation.

The studios made the pay cut demand as a Oct. 15 deadline approached. On that day Microsoft was to have received the bulk of a promised $5 million upfront payday. The software giant also stood to receive 10% of gross for rights to the game and a script by Alex Garland.

LINK

I' m guessing Disney will pick it up and it' ll be under Touchstone or Miramax.

< Message edited by MAJIKDRA6ON -- 20 Oct 06 10:06:42 >
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 20, 2006 22:40

Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie...

You' re just SICK!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 00:54
bad news after bad news, I' m having a bad day...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 03:10
Frownyfaces.

Is this really that big of a deal though, won' t somebody else just pick ' em up, buisness as usual?
< Message edited by Eddie_the_hated -- 20 Oct 06 19:11:15 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 03:43
WoW, knowing how much Halo is a cash cow for Microsoft and Bungie right now...this was a really stupid move on Fox and Universal' s part.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 06:56
Well as long as they don' t change the script writer I think it might still not suck.
Duffman

• Total Posts : 1096
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 07:06
Who cares if it got canceled. It probebly would have been shite anyway. Just look at all the movies based on games: Mario Brothers, Resident Evil, Street Fighter.... They all sucked!
Nitro

RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 07:08

ORIGINAL: Duffman

Who cares if it got canceled. It probebly would have been shite anyway. Just look at all the movies based on games: Mario Brothers, Resident Evil, Street Fighter.... They all sucked!

It' s not cancelled.

And Silent Hill was great.
Duffman

RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 07:10

It' s not cancelled.

My mistake.

And Silent Hill was great.

Yeah ok Silent Hill was the exception but most of the movies based on games were shite so......
Nitro

RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 07:17
Yeah, but Halo has promise. Games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have very little scope. Peter Jacksons involvement gives it additional promise and you know that at leat the special effects will be awesome...

Uwe Boll is doing Dungeon Siege, Postal and Far Cry. How the hell he manages to keep securing big name games is a mystery.
Duffman

RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 07:39

Yeah, but Halo has promise. Games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat have very little scope. Peter Jacksons involvement gives it additional promise and you know that at leat the special effects will be awesome

Yeah good point, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter did have little scope. Peter Jackson' s involvement does give it promise but I' m still skeptical. Ya never know though it could be good.
_Ninja_Protocol_

• Total Posts : 212
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 08:37
If it looks like the trailer in " Halo Wars" I' d be first in line.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 09:11
LMAO i was at wal-mart the other day and I saw the DVD House of the Dead 2 for sale. WTF? They made a 2nd movie? And did Boll ever box those guys or whatever he was gonna do?
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 09:12

Uwe Boll is doing Dungeon Siege, Postal and Far Cry.
Jeez, I didn' t know about Far-Cry. Another one bites the dust. :(
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 16:41

ORIGINAL: Majikdr6on

Uwe Boll is doing Dungeon Siege, Postal and Far Cry. How the hell he manages to keep securing big name games is a mystery.

From Wikipedia:

In the DVD commentary of Alone in the Dark, Boll explains how he funds his films:
" Maybe you know it but it' s not so easy to finance movies in total. And the reason I am able to do these kind of movies is I have a tax shelter fund in Germany, and if you invest in a movie in Germany you get basically fifty percent back from the Government."

Boll is able to acquire funding thanks to German tax laws that reward investments in film. The law allows investors in German-owned films to write off 100% of their investment as a tax deduction; it also allows them to invest borrowed money and write off any fees associated with the loan. The investor is then only required to pay taxes on the profits made by the movie; if the movie loses money, the investor gets a tax writeoff.

Link
< Message edited by Chee Saw -- 21 Oct 06 8:42:47 >
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 21, 2006 18:52
As I am no Halo fan I wouldn' t care if Uwe Boll directed the Halo film. Although I would feel like if Halo doesn' t get a proper theatrical film, then no game ever will.

Also I thought Silent Hill sucked donkey c*ck. It was pretty and whoever did the camera work deserves a medal, however the person who translated the game from what it was to what it became deserves a most painful death!
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 22, 2006 20:50

The trade says that while rumors had the studios concerned over a budget that was rising above the original projected $135 million budget, the filmmakers said the double defection came after Universal and Fox played hardball and unsuccessfully tried to get the filmmakers and Microsoft to reduce their profit participation.

And Evan Almighty (sequel to Bruce Almighty) has a projected budget of $225 million. =/

So a sequel to a Jim Carrey movie that noone liked gets 90 million dollars for a budget more than a Halo movie which has an obvious ardent fanbase and is being produced by Peter Jackson the man who created the fantasy phenom that is LOTR.

Right, f**k Hollywood.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 22, 2006 23:11
I liked Silent Hill, while they should have taken the story from SH2 with james and his dead wife, it still was very watchable. Alot of people didnt know it was adpated from a game as well.

Hollywood loves sequals, they make easy money with little cost, New movie Ideas like Halo for instance are hard to take off as they are new and Fox or whoever fund it dont like risks.Alltough Something like Halo and the ever green M$ behind it leaves no doubt in my mind that it will see the light of day somehow.

That Halo wars Vid was cool. Too short though.

I will Kill somebody if the MGS MOVIE [yes, there is one] is bad. Thank god Uwe isnt doing it.
< Message edited by silentbomber -- 22 Oct 06 15:11:54 >
Alecrein

• Total Posts : 762
RE: Uwe Boll to direct Halo movie... - Oct 25, 2006 05:27
I loved Silent Hill, great movie.

Here is some new news on the Halo movie from Aintitcoolnews

Hey folks, Harry here... When the bells began ringing HALO' s death knell last week, I just didn' t buy it. First, FOX & UNIVERSAL were leaving the project based upon wanting to renegotiate their profit participation, not over the direction of the material. Second, having FOX leave the project was the first great thing that happened to this project after Peter Jackson' s involvement. Why? Well, it meant that Tom Rothman would have NOTHING to do with this project, which is a very good thing.

" The reality here at Bungie towers is a feeling of optimism, satisfaction and happiness for reasons we can' t go into. Frankly we' re interested in making the best movie, and it' s possible that a partner who' s more concerned with numbers, might not be the best partner for what' s more vitally a creative process," said Frank O' Connor from BUNGIE out of today' s Hollywood Reporter"

Now - given what I' ve heard from some who have been involved in this project briefly - getting away from FOX was a very good thing. Fact is - right now - every studio in town is trying to hop in bed on this project and rightfully so. Microsoft and Bungie say that everybody is still moving forward on the project. Ultimately - at the end of the day, Fox and Universal just seriously lost out on a new franchise. Wherever this ends up, it' s just escaped Fox. That' s something to be greatly happy for.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll