Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Too many fps' s.
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 08:43
Too many fps' s are coming out, even how awesome killzone 2 is it still is another one you can add to the list.

Call of Duty 4
Killzone 2
Halo 3
Brothers in Arms 3
Unreal Tourment 3
Blacksite: Area 51
Bioshock
Turok
Haze
*update: Medal of Honor: Airborne

and a bunch more that I dont know of, I wont mention pc ones as thats its home platform. Out of those [kz2,Bia3,Cod4 I am really looking forward too] and UT3,Haze is kind of ok, blacksite,halo 3,bioshock are in the same ' dont care' camp for me.

I know this Q3-Q4 is going to be MADNESS! but I would perfer more titles like Assassins Creed.
< Message edited by Silentbomber -- 12 Jul 07 1:20:48 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 08:46
i 100% agree with you

it' s like FPS is the easiest genre to do... may be it' s true, come to think about it, RPG genre does look the hardest and it is scarce .

i want more games like assassin creed, drake uncharted, metal gear, splinter cell, ninja gaiden
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 08:49
A brutally expensive average first-person shooter will sell far better than a decent and reasonably priced RPG.

I' d buy everything on the list if I had money, but I' ll be restricting myself to Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms and Halo 3 this holiday season, that is unless I get a significant windfall from nowhere.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 09:13
Only this one gets my real interest.

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 09:17
I agree, but there has always seemed to be a glut of FPS games. I' m not sure what it is about this genre that appeals to people, I always found it very dull.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 09:20
Because fps game can manage to do well without good gameplay as long as the visual is good enough.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 10:23
What teh peoples want, teh peoples get.

If it wasn' t for FPS I wouldn' t even be a gamer these days. I say keep the bastards coming. I' m losing intrerest in Bioshock but COD 4, Halo 3 and Killzone 2 are going to be amazing. Don' t even get me started with UT III, if any game can be described as Godly it would be this.

If I had to choose between first person shooters or all the other genres combined, I would pick FPS. First person shooters are the most immersive and the most exciting. It' s also the only genre where skill really means anything. Any wanker can win a race and finish an RPG story, but dominating in an FPS takes practice. That' s why it' s only satisfying to win in a first person shooter (for me at least).

My thoughts on each genre:

FPS-see above.

Third person shooter-wannabe FPS, rarely tollereable.

RPG-Gameplay is simple and repetitive, stories in videogames suck so even a good story driven game gets raped by a half-decent book. Games like Kotor, Mass Effect, TES, Fable 2 are exceptions. Anyone who loves RPGs are just to lazy to read a book.

Sports-Pathetic, doesn' t deserve its own class. The only redeemable quality of sport games is that you never have to be bothered to look at them since most of them are clearly labelled as a sport game.

Racing games-I' m starting to have an interest in PC racing games. Almost to the extent where I' m thinking of buying something like a G25 racing wheel. Too bad there aren' t enough AAA racing games on PC.

Adventure Games-Excellent...when I was 12.

Action games-Meh.

Platforms-Get the *** out of here with that shit.

Fighters-I can tollerate fighters in very small doses. Memerizing button presses only to be raped by a button masher doesn' t interest me though.

Puzzle games-BORING!

< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 12 Jul 07 3:06:39 >
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 10:35
Agent what about RTS, Flight sims, Guitar sims?

Any wanker can win a race

If there was no one else on the road yes, but it takes skill to take the corners properly, use the raceline and avoid the traffic.

FPS and RTS are my favourite genres the rest i don' t mind. I don' t really hate any genre.

Platforms-Get the *** out of here with that shit

Explains why you hate Mario/Nintendo

Games like Kotor, Mass Effect, TES, Fable 2 are exceptions

Wonder why? (There not 360 games are they?)
< Message edited by Terrak -- 12 Jul 07 2:40:06 >
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 10:50

It' s also the only gendre where skill really means anything.

Firstly the word you' re looking for is " genre" . Secondly, I take it that you' ve never played Gaiares or the US version of Popful Mail? Or almost any fighting game with another player?
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 12 Jul 07 2:51:14 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 11:04

Explains why you hate Mario/Nintendo

I don' t hate Mario, I was raised by Mario. I literally spent more time with Super Mario 3 than with my own father. Ironically it was my father who bought my first console (NES) on my 7th birthday along with the game. I hate 3d platform games though (except for Super Mario 64), I just can' t stand the jumping and collecting useless artifacts. I can' t stand any game focused on collecting junk.

Wonder why? (There not 360 games are they?)

High profile Westernized RPGS are fine on any platform. It' s only by coinincidence that MS almost has them all.

Agent what about RTS, Flight sims, Guitar sims?

When did flight sims and guitar sims become their own gendre? These games do require skill but they don' t carry over to each game very well, you basically have to learn how to master each game, everytime. RTS especially, it' s all about memerizing the units and what to use against what. The only universal thing about these games are reflexes, which is true for all competitive games. The idea that you need good reflexes to win is not specific to these games. Racing is 99% reflexes, 1% understanding the mechanics of the game. It takes a gamer ten minutes to understand how to turn properly. After that, it' s all reflexes.

Keep in mind that I mostly only care about online play. I like RTS but I can never get into playing them online. I don' t have the patients, to reinvent the wheel everytime.

I like FPS because once you master one game you feel comfortable with them all. It' s very satisfying to build on a complex skill set with every FPS that I play. Not only that, but in FPS (online) I always find opporunities where using new and creative strategies can give me an edge. The mechanics of teamwork alone makes FPS' s vastly more complex and interesting than any other genre. That is, if you play the game properly.

That' s why I much rather prefer to play with regular people. I know the gaming habits of my gaming buddies and when we want to be, we can actually be very coordinated as a team. We' ll never have that with other games.

Firstly the word you' re looking for is " genre" .

My mistake, that' s what happens when you learn to read and write in English and French. It' s easy to make spelling errors, especially with common words.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 12 Jul 07 3:10:11 >
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 11:27

Racing is 99% reflexes, 1% understanding the mechanics of the game. It takes a gamer ten minutes to understand how to turn properly. After that, it' s all reflexes.

If your playing on reflexes alone your driving wrong. Reflexes are good for adapting to the conditions/traffic but the skill in driving is memorizing the track, how to take the race line, how to turn into corners, what angle & speed, and how to best exit the corner while acceletrating. That is more skill then reflexes. The trick is doing that over many laps and avoiding traffic/collisions. Also improving how you take turns is the key as well, as that extra hundredth of a second can make a difference over several laps. Yes any fool can go max speed in a racer, but it takes a skilled driver to take a corner properly. If tire wear, damage and fuel taken into account it makes things even more difficult and challenging. And yes play using a steering wheel & from the inside view, this makes driving games innumerably more enjoyable. Hey i don' t mind that you' re not a fan of racers but please don' t go insulting those that do enjoy it.

High profile Westernized RPGS are fine on any platform. It' s only by coinincidence that MS almost has them all.

LOL i' m not a big fan of RPGs either. Just seemed a little TOO coincidental

don' t hate Mario, I was raised by Mario. I literally spent more time with Super Mario 3 than with my own father. Ironically it was my father who bought my first console (NES) on my 7th birthday along with the game. I hate 3d platform games though (except for Super Mario 64), I just can' t stand the jumping and collecting useless artifacts. I can' t stand any game focused on collecting junk.

When you said you ' hated platformers' is just put 2 & 2 together (figuratively speaking). But i guess like any genre platformers isn' t ' everyones cup of tea' .
< Message edited by Terrak -- 12 Jul 07 3:32:17 >
Agent Ghost

RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 12, 2007 11:34
Yes but there' s no thinking involved. You either know the track, and know the game mechanics or you don' t. It' s just conditioning (memerization), and with every new racer you have to recondition yourself. The same is true with fighters. If you want to be good at the game it feels more like work than fun half the time.

On the surface first person shooters look like nothing more than blood and guts, but if you' re playing with the right people there' s a lot more going on.
the_shadowwolf

• Total Posts : 675
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 14, 2007 10:17
I agree. The GD are marketing heaving on FPS and i see another trend with Strategy games rising once again. Seems like good old ' 98 coming back. Bioshock so far has my attention for originality atm. Looks awesome.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 14, 2007 20:43

It' s also the only gendre where skill really means anything.

Firstly the word you' re looking for is " genre" . Secondly, I take it that you' ve never played Gaiares or the US version of Popful Mail? Or almost any fighting game with another player?

Old school shooters are another example. You know, shmups, alien race invades the earth and you get in your spaceship to stop them ;) Ikaruga for example takes a certain amount of skill too.

That being said, FPS is probably my least favorite genre too. I just don' t find it that exciting after having played a couple of them. Plus that they usually give me motion sickness :P
< Message edited by ys -- 14 Jul 07 12:46:28 >
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 14, 2007 22:40
I think there' s too many racing games, especially bad ones.
At least the FPS genre has a higher rate of good games.
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 15, 2007 04:18
I like FPSs, and plan to hopefully get some of the games in that list eventually. I also love RPGs. However, I personally think there should be more stealth games and things like Assassin' s Creed (which is technically a stealth game really). As long as I got a lot of games from those genres, and lot of great games from other genres, I couldn' t really care less how many there are, tbh.

I' m also getting into the horror genre at last.

It' s a shame they don' t make things like they used too though...
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 15, 2007 04:42
In the 80s it was too many platformers. In the 90s, too many fighters. In the 00s, too many FPSs.
Silentbomber

RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 15, 2007 05:09
whats next?
Marink

• Total Posts : 884
RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 15, 2007 05:12
Too many Wii mini-games.
Silentbomber

RE: Too many fps' s. - Jul 15, 2007 07:28
yeah I dont think hardcore gamers are going to settle for super Halo party 11 anytime soon.

Maybe adverture/action genres will make a return. Maybe the point and click will be reborn!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 42

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message