Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 MS letting Bungie go?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 45
Dead Saint

• Total Posts : 205
MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 17:22
Well its just rumors at the moment but its expected that Bungie will announce they are no longer owned by MS, MS will keep all the rights to Halo.

Should happen this week so keep an eye out...
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 17:24
Yeah i read about it, but reading through comments in the article (dont remember where it is)

People working at MS says bungie is still part of the adress book, also it makes little sense, since MS owns Bungie, they cant just up and leave.

In any case if its true its bad news for MS! and for bungie really, since they havent produced top quality games outside MS
Vx Chemical

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 17:27
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 17:41
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 18:49
1up are reporting on it too...

This is actually really weird.

See:

Peter Moore left right after E3
FASA closed (though that' s probably because their game was shit)
Bizarre Creations has been aquired by Activision (why not MS?)
X07 proper was cancelled
No Crackdown sequel (Realtime Worlds said they would have done it but MS wasn' t interested...)
No new proper announcements, the games for 2008 are all going to be released in Q1 or Q2.
Now this about Bungie

They could be signs of Microsoft' s (Xbox' s) downfall (think SEGA), or they could just be nothing more than what they are. Microsoft took a billion dollar hit with the faulty 360' s already and is likely struggling to cost reduce the hardware. It' s not impossible that they could want out now.

Microsoft entered the console race to slow Sony down, not because they thought they could make money. Sony would have eventually been big enough to move into Microsoft' s fields, providing software and operating systems on a global scale. Microsoft targeted Sony' s biggest sector and has thrown an immense amount of money into videogames in an effort to stop Sony' s expansion into other areas.

What Microsoft didn' t bank on was Sony fumbling their launch and Nintendo doing as well as they have.

I doubt it' s true but it' s not impossible. I watched SEGA go down that path already...

< Message edited by NITRO -- 2 Oct 07 10:52:21 >
Vx Chemical

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 18:54
I seriously doubt MS is throwing in the towel, it would be a grave day if you only had the wimp and the PS3.´It would leave the market open for someone else though.

It would be a huge slap in the face for MS to give up. something they havent really done before.

I wonder how bungie would fair without MS? while their titles before halo were good, they were far from spectacular!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 19:52
Microsoft is not going to throw in the towel. They' re market leaders at the moment for christs sake. Anyone who thinks that they are is delusional.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 20:23
Bungie must be retarded if thats true.

Marathon sucked.

Oni sucked.

Halo rocked.

2/3 has been faliures.

They lose the rights to halo,and bungie dont like the pr + adv?

Its on tv here in Sweden atleast everyday,wtf are they whining about.

MS has given them so much help and money its fucking retarded.

Anyway this is a rumor,and even if bungie leave MS they could still be hried by MS to make a Halo game.

But anyway im sure some other studios can take up where halo3 ended.

Ubi soft montreal etc.
Vx Chemical

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 20:41
They made a RT strategy series called Myth which was quite good actually! Really hard though!
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 21:19
Nitro' s post is damn scary, it' s awful if MS gives up, and letting bungie go is a very very bad sign... i hope it' s just a rumour, when is this supposed to be announced?
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 21:30
I hate to be a conspiracy theorist but could this be a cheap trick by a ' competitor' This is just a rumour and started from a blog after all . Just speculating .
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 21:32
Wow this is frightening but just out of curiosity how much were they on their own for the halo series? Because I figured MS bought them for Halo and that they pretty much just paid them and they get a certain amount of money from the sale. If I am mistaken please tell me.

Abasoufiane

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 21:46
http://www.gamedreamz.com/index.cgi?m=stories&s=read&id=7778

now this has shown up before that rumor, could it be that " the big announcement that gamers won' t expect" is bungies' departure from MS ? or is this all just a coincidence ?
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 22:25
I seriously doubt Microsoft would let Bungie go. It' s as if Nintendo would let Miyamoto go. Bungie is Microsofts most important game developement studio and when Rare and the other studios failed, Bungie never did.

But I am still interested in knowing what this surprise announcement is. Maybe Halo DS ;)
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 02, 2007 23:04

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

It would be a huge slap in the face for MS to give up. something they havent really done before.

Um theyve given up plenty of times.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 03:25
I know that all of this seems a little hard to believe, but as Nitro put it, it does look as though MS are going to pull out of the console market.

It would be not surprise if they did pull out, as they have never made any money on the xbox, and not to mention the huge hit they had to take with the RROD. Microsoft did what they needed to do to slow the Sony machine down. Now that they have accomplished this, they will leave after this cycle.
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 03:33
I agree about it being total crap if you believe that Microsoft is throwing in the towel. More like putting a bullet in the competitors head. Please don' t forget how much Microsoft has already taken over. I can see them temporarily pulling out to reassess things and then coming back in with a huge success. No, I' m not a Microsoft lover. I personal prefer Linux or Apple due to no hassle. However, 99.9% video games and software operate off of Microsoft. So, I have no choice but to rely on them and stay updated.
< Message edited by kombatfighter -- 2 Oct 07 19:40:43 >
Abasoufiane

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 03:38

Microsoft did what they needed to do to slow the Sony machine down. Now that they have accomplished this, they will leave after this cycle.

man since when any company' s accomplishment is to " slow down" the competition, if they leave now, MS would not have accomplished anything business/commercial wise.. i never expected Sega to drop out of the console manfucaturing , yet it did, MS has itw own trouble as well but i really hope they succeed..
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 03:48
Got to be a point when gates pulls the Xbox division aside to say. " enough is enough guys, i think weve lost too much on this" . No?

Xboxlive is a great structure though, something that can only grow. What would happen to this?
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 2 Oct 07 19:50:03 >
Vx Chemical

RE: MS letting Bungie go? - Oct 03, 2007 03:48
MS is a head in its game, and even more with the successful Halo 3 launch!

These are silly notions, they arent backing out of it!
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 45

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message