Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Why do people Preorder games?
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 11:06
its not like they are hard to come by at launch, even Halo3 was in good supply on launch day, infact I have never seen a stortage of games.

I dunno, you guys are crazy.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 12:10
I don' t preorder myself usually but sometimes it' s worth it if you' re at EBgames anyways. For example with Orange Box they offered 5$ off to pre-order. It' s not much but five bucks is five bucks.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 12:29
The ONLY games I pre-order are *some* import games and that' s only because sometimes we get nice treats like bonus music CDs, DVDs, etc. for pre-ordering . Other than that I never pre-order consoles Or games that don' t have pre-order bonuses.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 21 Oct 07 4:31:33 >
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 12:45
Cause you can pay off the game over time rather then just hope to have the money then and there on day one. Sometime an extra incetive like maybe a shirt or a certain amount off. Pre-order of Halo ensured I didnt have to wait in any line anywhere midnight. Just walk in show my stamped reciept walk out 1 minute total.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 13:59

infact I have never seen a stortage of games.
It took me a week to find Crackdown. Im sure at the launch of a console its nice to have games pre-ordered so you can guarantee you get them with your console.
BridgeTracker

• Total Posts : 4
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 14:29
because some games actually sell pretty good, and the only to insure yourself a copy is to preorder it.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 15:19
If you want to be sure to get a game here in denmark, your usually required to preorder it, unless its very big like Halo.

If you want limited edition or such, its a definet, preorder or no go.

I usually order games from online shops, so when shopping there its kinda silly to wait for its release with ordering, when i can do it at anytime, and sometimes get the game days before release.

When at the stores, i go buy the game when i have the money for it, and just pick it up when its released.
Kikizos Troll

• Total Posts : 60
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 15:21
oh man! that is awesome
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 21, 2007 16:51
I think what it really comes down to is location.

In my case, first off, I live in North America, a huge video game market. Second, I live in Canada, where we have very large attachment rates for consoles, computers, and high speed internet. Then, I live in one of the biggest cities in Canada, so there will be plenty of supply, and plenty of locations to go to if one sells out.

However, I have many relatives living in smaller cities/towns and rural areas that no doubt have a hard time finding games considering that they have as many places to get games within hours of them as I do within 10 minutes(I actually live a 5 minute walk from Wal-Mart, EB games, Best Buy, and Future Shop). Thus, for them pre-ordering makes sense.

So far, in the last few years, surprisingly, the only game I had a hard time getting a hold of was Warhawk. I thought for sure, considering it was an online only game, a ps3 only game, and a game that was available for download and retail, that it would have limited market and therefore easy to find. Needless to say I was wrong. I went to 8 or 9 places in the first week, all sold out, all of the employee' s mentioning that it was selling like crazy when I asked them if they had even gotten many in. Ultimately, I bought it about 2 weeks after release when I finally found it, of all places, at the Blockbuster in my neighbourhood, for $10 cheaper than all the other stores(usually blockbuster charges a lot more for games/movies).
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 22, 2007 01:42

Cause you can pay off the game over time rather then just hope to have the money then and there on day one.
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 22, 2007 02:04
Weird isn' t it. I thought back in the day when I couldn' t afford new games that games sold out all the time so people would preorder them.

However I Don' t really recall games selling out everywhere these days, so many places sell them.

I only preorder when i' m buying online as the money doesn' t come out til it ships (so no real difference) and everytime i preorder a game I get it before launch ^_^ I have never preordered a game from a retail shop before, and only 1 console
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 22, 2007 07:47
I only preoder when it' s something I really want.

Like right now I' ve got metroid and mario galaxy preordered at a store. It' s just that I wanna be sure to have my copy on the day of it' s release and with games like that it might be hard.

An top of that I get an amount of free points on my card which leads to a 15€ discount faster as well. There are only two other games I' m planning on preordering and that' s NiGHTS and SSBB. If I have to wait a bit longer for all the rest that' s just fine with me.
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 22, 2007 21:30
I mostly do it so that I can pay it off gradually(some off us don' t have the money to buy all the games that come out right when they come out).

I also pose a question do you, Why wouldn' t you preorder it? there is nothing that you will loose by doing it and if you are there then you might as well preorder something.

I also feel that it makes people even more excited about the game(people like myself), the only game I have preordered is COD4 just because I can' t wait for it to come out.

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 22, 2007 22:38
I only pre order ' Special' editions (legendary Edition of H3 for example.) However my playable version i bought on the day of release, in fact it might have been a day or 2 later.
Kikizos Troll

• Total Posts : 60
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 23, 2007 15:49
this thread delivers unfunny troll
Demonoroth

• Total Posts : 359
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 25, 2007 05:59
Got another reason...to play metroid prime 3 2 days earlier than it' s release I' m keeping this short cause I want to return to Metroid.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 25, 2007 06:03

Got another reason...to play metroid prime 3 2 days earlier than it' s release I' m keeping this short cause I want to return to Metroid.

Grr.... I wish i saw this offer...

Have been playing ' abit' of a freinds US copy. Cannot wait till get stuck in my own.

2 days to go
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Why do people Preorder games? - Oct 25, 2007 07:59
Obviously preorder gives the person some form of reassurance that they get a copy of the game without having to line up on the day of release and hope its not sold out. Its better to pay upfront upto 2 months in advance for a game you really want, so they day it is released you can come in your own time an leisurely pick up the game that you know has your name on it. Its not crazy when you think about it. Like everyone said its just for highly anticipated games you know are gonna be popular, otherwise its not worth the effort.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll