Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Future of PSP? Questionable, says OPM:
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
Future of PSP? Questionable, says OPM: - Aug 14, 2005 09:29
Well, kinda. Hit the link:

http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000223054120/

When you hit the link, click the little ' Read' icon under joystiq' s summary to go directly to the article entitled, " What' s up with the PSP?" . The Article basically explains the lack of PSP titles and sales compared to Nintendo' s handhelds, and what Sony has to do to give Nintendo a run for it' s money. It' s really interesting. Give it a read, and tell me what you think..
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Future of PSP? Questionable, says OPM: - Aug 14, 2005 09:56
The article seemed to be guaging software sales prior to July. How about they keep up to date. The July sales charts revealed 2 PSP games cracking the NPD Top Ten whereas only one DS game was listed but appears to not have cracked the top 10.

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5411

The article was kind of funny to me simply cause the DS is indeed spanking the hell out of the PSP in Japan, but in the U.S. the story' s a little different and the PSP has been outperforming the DS a bit in weekly/monthly sales. The DS is still leading in total overall sales here but the PSP looks to be closing the gap.

When Grand Theft Auto hits the units, we' ll just have to wait and see the resulting effect.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 14 Aug 05 17:59:29 >
Jason Zeidan

• Total Posts : 308
RE: Future of PSP? Questionable, says OPM: - Aug 14, 2005 10:22
Yeah, but after we see the release of Advance Wars, Nintendogs and Pac N Roll, along with a possible price cut, then we' ll see an even bigger gap over in the west.

Also, alot of PSP' s current success in U.S is just the brand name playing it' s temporary part, considering that Meteos and Kirby have recieved far better ratings than Coded Arms and Midnight Club 3.
< Message edited by Jason Zeidan -- 14 Aug 05 18:26:31 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Future of PSP? Questionable, says OPM: - Aug 14, 2005 10:41

Yeah, but after we see the release of Advance Wars, Nintendogs and Pac N Roll, along with a possible price cut, then we' ll see an even bigger gap over in the west.

Maybe, maybe not. It' s one of those things that requires the wait and see approach. But you seem to underestimating the power that GTA has over the masses in America ;). The PSP is already leading in weekly/monthly sales here and with the popularity of the GTA series you honestly expect the DS to increase the gap by that much??

Also, alot of PSP' s current success in U.S is just the brand name playing it' s temporary part, considering that Meteos and Kirby have recieved far better ratings than Coded Arms and Midnight Club 3.

Doesn' t matter what the current success is attributed to, what' s important is that it is successful and as long as gamers remain enamoured by the unit, that bodes well for Sony.

As far as ratings go, ratings don' t really sell games, otherwise the Dreamcast would still be alive and kicking.

*Edit*
I just noticed, did you actually list Pac N Roll as a highly anticipated game??????????, that' s like me listing Namco Museum Battle for the PSP :p
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 14 Aug 05 18:48:52 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message