Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 PS3 or 360?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 51
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 27, 2007 17:53
PC gaming is starting to die out, it is a shame but if you look at releases on this format they are nothing compared to consoles, gaming companies are looking to consoles to premier their new titles. A few genres still stay true to the PC medium, RPG and RTS games (NWN2 and Age of Empires series.) However once a decent control system for consoles is in place I fear even those will start to be pushed towards the console, the big games to try and so this are Mass Effect and Halo Wars, LOTRBFMEII tried but failed.

Evil I guess you have had issues with a 360 or know people who have, on the flip side I know people who have had launch units and they have been 100%, you will find that the PS3 will have issues, Pony may not be as transparent as M$, which means that we may not get to hear about them as frequently, but I would bet that there are issues with them.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 27, 2007 18:49
When you guys mention the PC and the price it sounds like you think of it as a console.
You' re forgetting that PC' s do so much more than just play games. So in the end, a high-end gamer PC costs a lot more than a console, but it' s also a more valuable product.

UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 27, 2007 22:44

ORIGINAL: alijay034

PC gaming is starting to die out, it is a shame but if you look at releases on this format they are nothing compared to consoles, gaming companies are looking to consoles to premier their new titles. A few genres still stay true to the PC medium, RPG and RTS games (NWN2 and Age of Empires series.) However once a decent control system for consoles is in place I fear even those will start to be pushed towards the console, the big games to try and so this are Mass Effect and Halo Wars, LOTRBFMEII tried but failed.

I laugh every time someone says " PC gaming is dying" or " PC' s days are limited" . No offense but that' s an extremely ignorant view. People have been saying PC gaming has been " dying" for the last decade. Doomsday predictions come for it every time a new generation of consoles is released. Guess what? It doesn' t happen.

If you can' t see any good PC games coming out, you' re not looking.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 00:16

I laugh every time someone says " PC gaming is dying" or " PC' s days are limited" . No offense but that' s an extremely ignorant view. People have been saying PC gaming has been " dying" for the last decade. Doomsday predictions come for it every time a new generation of consoles is released. Guess what? It doesn' t happen.

If you can' t see any good PC games coming out, you' re not looking.

But who can deny that with each generation of console one or more advatages the PC had seems to be taken away. At the current pace within a generation or 2, both the PC and Console will be hard to tell apart. What will happen that day? Who knows but it should be interesting...and confusing.

I honestly think both will eventually cancel eachother out. Which will birth a new form of console gaming and pc gaming. A hybrid which isnt hard to imagine. Actually it seems an obvious step eventually. The question is will this new form of tech be more console or more pc?

Anyhow get a 360 now buy a PS3 later. And if you fancy it much pick up a Wii at some point. The grand total for a PS3 and 360 (US) is $1000. Split into 2 years or 24 months = roughly $42 per month to put aside. Round that figure to $50. Meaning in less then 2 years you will have a 360 and a PS3. And by then such a wealth of games will be available that any question of which is better wont really matter. Of course however this plan wouldve worked much better had it be initiated prior to the 360s release. But there is always next gen. And putting this plan into next gen gives you even more time to put aside money and even cut that monthly cost in half as you have 2x the amountof time.

WHeeeEEE isnt math fun?!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 02:10
I agree with UnluckyOne. PC gaming is not going anywhere. It' s actually impossible. All you have to do is look at the economics of the industry and see where the money goes and where it comes from. Billions are spent for research and development for computer tech. The latest CPU, GPU, RAM, MOBOs, Hard Drives etc. We' re living in the age of endless upgrades. People buy the best because they want to best, that' s what PC offers as a platform.

PC gaming is independant, they' ve always been the leaders, consoles are the ones who are dependant on the tech that was developed for computers. Not the other way around. There is relatively little money in consoles for companies like AMD,Intel and Nvidia. Sony MS and Nintendo pay to use the designs for a cpu and gpu but they don' t make a profit on the hardware sold. AMD and Nvidia don' t even manufacure the gpus in the consoles. The R&D of these companies is paid for on the back of PC gamers and enthusiasts.

If PC gaming collapsed AMD and Nvidia would go down the fucking toilet. Gaming as we know it on any platform would be over.
alijay034

RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 04:26
Ok then answer me this, 2 years ago, I was building PC' s for customers that would handle the latest gmaes, however now people are just after a machine that " The children can use for homework and I can use for browsing the internet, emails and playing with phots' s, (oh and by the way you tend to need a half decent GPU for photo editing and video editing, so you arguements about collapse of AMD and Nvidia is complete bollocks.) People are using consoles as their gaming choice not the PC anymore. Now call it an ignorant view when I see it first hand. Oh and BTW I was selling anything upto 40 pc' s a month at high gaming spec, and 20 and " Normal" spec, this is now the reverse infact more likely 50 normal and 10 high spec.
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 08:20
Consoles can' t even handle oblivion - a year old game, at full 60fps in outside environments, LOL.

Please. PCs piss all the fuck over consoles.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 10:19
Not the PS3. The PS3 is even more powerful than... than... BLAST PROCESSING!
Dionysius

• Total Posts : 831
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 10:38
To answer the question asked in the title, I' ll say the Ps3. Not because I think it' s great or anything (although I do), but mostly because I' ve come to hate my 360, which I think is the worst of the new consoles.

Though when it comes to games, I think none of the consoles have many games that I like, right now.

Ps3 = Virtua Fighter 5
360= Dead or Alive 4
Wii = Twilight Princess and Wii sports.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 14:14
" Ok then answer me this, 2 years ago, I was building PC' s for customers that would handle the latest gmaes, however now people are just after a machine that " The children can use for homework and I can use for browsing the internet, emails and playing with phots' s, (oh and by the way you tend to need a half decent GPU for photo editing and video editing, so you arguements about collapse of AMD and Nvidia is complete bollocks.) People are using consoles as their gaming choice not the PC anymore. Now call it an ignorant view when I see it first hand. Oh and BTW I was selling anything upto 40 pc' s a month at high gaming spec, and 20 and " Normal" spec, this is now the reverse infact more likely 50 normal and 10 high spec."

Gamers build their own rigs, we don' t need help, we' re the " enthusiasts" . You won' t see a boxer walk into Walmart and ask an employee for advice on boxing gloves. It' s the same thing. The times are changing, people in general are being more informed about computer tech. Gamers especially are smart enough to buy the individual components and set it up themselves. Just look at sales for these high end components, only the gamers are buying them.

However you' re half right, PC is expanding it' s audience. Things that used to be hardcore features like video editing are now mainstream. Fucking YouTube...

You' re also right when you said ATI/AMD and Nvidia wouldn' t tank (I was exadurating) but they would certainly stop making high end GPUs. They only sell $250+ videocards to gamers, period. At best they might make entry level cards like the 7600gs which is more then ample for video/photo editing. For editing is actually more dependant on more ram and a fast CPU.

The gaming industry goes in cycles. When a new generation of consoles comes out everyone is looking at them. In a year or two, they don' t look so impressive anymore and peope shift back to PC gaming. Gamers are not buying too much PC components right now becuase they are buying consoles. Pay attention to your sales two years from now in the middle of the console generation. PC gaming isn' t going anywhere. It will always be the most powerful platform. People whine about spending 600$ on a console but PC gamers gladly pay much more for a PC rig because it' s the best. Anytime you have the best of anything, you' ll survive.

I' m actually more conserned for consoles. PC gaming is a permanent platform, what is it? Over 100 million PC gamers and counting? Consoles manufacturers are the ones who have to resell a new platform every 5-7 years. Look at the sales for PC and console games. The best selling console games were in the past where as most of the best selling PC game are recent. If anything console gaming is at risk. Look at the price of games for the PS3 and 360. The PC has many of the same games but at lower prices. Why becuase the PC already has the user base to support the games. Publishers can afford to sell for less and turn profit on the PC. Where as on the PS3 and 360 we will see high prices until they have a larger user base. Next gen will be even worse.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 15:41
Its true, PC gaming is on its way down, its never going to die though. All PC gamers i know have moved on to consoles because its easier, cheaper and most titles are availeble there.

I know far more PS3 and 360 titles that id want then i know PC titles!
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 17:55

ORIGINAL: Vx Chemical

Its true, PC gaming is on its way down, its never going to die though. All PC gamers i know have moved on to consoles because its easier, cheaper and most titles are availeble there.

I know far more PS3 and 360 titles that id want then i know PC titles!

It' s true that PC gaming (marketing wise) has been a bit stagnant for a little while, mainly because very little was done to promote it by Microsoft. With Vista and the new " Games for Windows" initiative, you' ll start to see that stagnation lift. Microsoft didn' t have games as an integral part of XP, but with the realization that they literally have hundreds of millions of potential gamers at their fingertips, they' ve put gaming as one of the main integral parts of Vista.

They want to tap that market because its potential is huge. It' s easy money too. They don' t need to battle Sony/Nintendo for market share. It' s already established and they' ve got the monopoly unless you consider Apple as a gaming contender (Hah!). The current PC gamer market is between 100 - 300 million gamers. That' s 10-30x the size of their 360 user base. Couple that with the fact that they don' t take any losses selling hardware and you can see, the potential is massive for them.

PC gaming is not dying. If anything, you' ll start to see a resurgence of PC gaming. Microsoft now realizes they can make a lot of money, and whenever money is involved, Microsoft will want a piece of it (if not all of it).
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 28 Mar 07 10:06:31 >
alijay034

RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 28, 2007 20:32
Hard core gaming yes, but then again you still have hardcore Genisis and NES players as well. You will see a drop in the casual PC gamers. As I stated I am seeing a reversal of the trend of 2 years ago, people are no longer worried about playing the latest games on their PC.

BTW not all hardcore gamers build their own rigs, not all hardcore gamers are techies and would know how to put a PC together.

Evil: no one is saying that consoles are better than PC' s,, the statement was that I am seeing a decline for customers to have PC' s capable of playing the latest games. Nothing was said about consoles being better than PC' s.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 05:21
PC gaming is too costly to be really mainstream, new graphic cards every year atleast, and with the way things are going a phys card as well
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 05:51

Ps3 = Virtua Fighter 5
360= Dead or Alive 4
Wii = Twilight Princess and Wii sports.

You want a 360 for DOA?????!!!!!
Evil Man

• Total Posts : 1441
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 07:27

ORIGINAL: alijay034

BTW not all hardcore gamers build their own rigs, not all hardcore gamers are techies and would know how to put a PC together.

Evil: no one is saying that consoles are better than PC' s,, the statement was that I am seeing a decline for customers to have PC' s capable of playing the latest games. Nothing was said about consoles being better than PC' s.

Since when do you have to be a " techie" to build a PC?

Why is this forum flooded with so many fucking imbeciles?
Dionysius

RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 10:50

You want a 360 for DOA?????!!!!!

Nah, I wanted it for all the exclusive games that was comming for it, that I thought was going to turn out great. Unfortunatley most og the games that I thought was going to be great, I did not like. And most of the games I did find great I could also find on a PC or other plattform, leaving only DoA4. Also, unfortunately, looking at the comming releases, I do not see that changing.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 11:07
So your not much of a FPS fan?
M B

• Total Posts : 202
RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 15:06
PC gaming is not dying at all. Look at the number of people playing online PC games at this very moment. Keep in mind this isn' t prime time for gaming either.

from gamespy.com
• Half Life 61,873
• Half Life 2 47,325
• Battlefield 2 8,567
• Battlefield 2142 5,813
• Unreal Tournament 2004 5,193
• Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 5,158

then on battle.net
StarCraft: Brood War 44,587
That' s right, 10 years later and nearly 50k people playing during a weekday. I' ve seen it go over 100k during weekends.

World of Warcraft.... Do I even need to give statistics for this game?

There are countless other PC games with tons of people playing online, and countless others offline.

PC gaming is far from dead or dying. All of PC gaming does not revolve around your little shop.
Dionysius

RE: PS3 or 360? - Mar 29, 2007 20:01

So your not much of a FPS fan?

I really like FPS, just that none of the 360 ones had impressed me. Even if I like a genre I won' t like games that I do not find up to notch. In fact the last FPS I found really enjoyable was HL2.

Also, the only comming FPS games that has caught my interest is Bioschock, Crysis, and Halo 3.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 51

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message