Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT!
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 15, 2005 20:59
This is a very funny war that I' ve been keep a close eye on, lol.. The homebrew community finally nailed Sony' s hard to crack firmware version 1.50 this morning and Sony just keeps releasing newer updates with tighter security features, I believe by now the firmware update is up to 1.52, with each new release containing tighter security than the previous version...

Unfortunately forced firmware updates are no doubt in the PSP' s future, it' s gonna happen, count on it. The only way around it is to obviously own two PSP units if you' re that nuts about homebrew stuff on your PSP.

(June 2005 useless thread quota met)
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 15, 2005 22:45
How is one forced to update the firmware? Will older games continue to work?
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 15, 2005 22:51

How is one forced to update the firmware? Will older games continue to work?

Some future games will require the latest firmware update in order to play them. Supposedly it' s already happening in Japan and the U.S. is soon to follow. Older games will continue to work no problem but if someone has firmware 1.50 and Grand Turismo Theft Auto requires 1.54 then they' ll have to update or no beating up hookers on the go for them.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 15, 2005 23:27
How does one update the firmware? Can anyone do this for free and easily? What if a PSP owner doesn' t have an internet connection?

Also, if I' m " on the go" , why would I want to be playing videogames? I left the house for a reason. If I want to beat up hookers when I am away from my house, I' ll beat up real ones!
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 16 Jun 05 7:28:50 >
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 16, 2005 00:22

How does one update the firmware? Can anyone do this for free and easily? What if a PSP owner doesn' t have an internet connection?

Currently you can update your firmware online with the PSP, and yep it' s free and easy to do.

I suspect they' ll include the required firmware updates with the games that need them, it' s the only solution that would work given that not every PSP owner has a wireless router or access to wireless hotspots.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 16, 2005 07:05
when you update the firmware does it stop the psp from shooting out the games like shurikens?
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 16, 2005 11:06

Also, if I' m " on the go" , why would I want to be playing videogames? I left the house for a reason. If I want to beat up hookers when I am away from my house, I' ll beat up real ones!

Joe' s got a point (I can' t believe I just wrote that)...if you' re heading out on the town, why would you want to play games that you could play in your home?

Only reason I can think is if you' re waiting on a bus, the doctor to call you into their office, or you' re at the DMV...you know, with time to kill...

But not otherwise...
Terry Bogard

RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 16, 2005 12:13
If video games were relegated to being played only at home and arcades then handheld games more than likely wouldn' t exist

That' s the appeal of handheld gaming devices, they' re designed for the on-the-go experience.. While I enjoy playing games at home and at arcades, those long bus rides to work and home, the ferry rides, the train rides, plane rides, Greyhound bus rides, All of those things are SO much easier with a handheld gaming device and all of those are examples of on-the-go gaming. That' s not counting the long wait you may have to endure when visiting certain places. Having a portable entertainment system makes it all the less painful ;).

Plus if you' re really into a game but have to leave, with handhelds you can continue enjoying the game out of the house, consoles on the other hand, you have to endure the long, grueling wait before you can return home and continue where you left off before having to leave.
< Message edited by Terry Bogard -- 16 Jun 05 20:20:25 >
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 16, 2005 13:13

Joe' s got a point (I can' t believe I just wrote that)...if you' re heading out on the town, why would you want to play games that you could play in your home?

Only reason I can think is if you' re waiting on a bus, the doctor to call you into their office, or you' re at the DMV...you know, with time to kill...

This is my whole point with why I think the PSP won' t succeed for long. It is aimed at the 18-35 year old male who can afford the damn thing. Whoever wanted one has most likely gotten one. The rest of us want to appear somewhat less of a social recluse to the opposite sex and thus leave the videogames at the door.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 27, 2005 06:53
And the winner (as with all game piracy and hacking) is the hackers. Wow, what a surprise (sarcasm).
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: Sony vs. PSP HaXXors - Round 3, FIGHT! - Jun 27, 2005 08:24
And then there' s business trips, vacations, long periods of time that you have (or want) to spend away from home. Having the option to launch into a gaming session at any time can be a lifesaver.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll