Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Halo 3 reviews/impressions
Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 121 to 133 of 133
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 04:55
Browsing throuh this back to normal page then:

Yes,I mean I must be a fanboy because I agree with gamespot,IGN,gametrailers,gamespy,Edge,Eurogamer,gamepro,Gamereactor.

Hahaha.

TO BAD BUT I WON THIS ONE AGAIN noobs.

Where the hell did that come from? we all know you browse the net advertising (free advertising i must say) the 360. It makes me wonder if you ever actually have time to play the thing?

BTW:

when it comes to gaming, that:

is winning. Do something constructive and post some videos of you kicking as in Halo3
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 09:16
Halo 3 not running native HD

Yet it still kicks ass...
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 09:29
I dont use 720p.

I use my own pc resolution.

and btw

you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels.

So there you have it.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 29 Sep 07 1:31:39 >
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 11:11
I didn' t notice it ran at 640p, LOL

So much for Joe' s theory of things looking like crap when being upscaled, the games looks better than most 720p/1080p native games.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 14:33
That' s really unusual. Definitely I' d say that the lighting is Halo 3' s saving grace when it comes to graphics - if it didn' t have such a good implementation it' d look even shittier. But according to my understanding, does this mean it' s causing the 360 to push more pixels than every other 720p game?

1152 x 640 x 2 = 1474560 pixels

1280 x 720 = 921600 pixels

Roughly 60% more pixels are being pushed than every other game. While I know we don' t actually see that many more pixels (we see 640p) on the screen, maybe their favoring of such HDR lighting caused the rest of the game to drop in quality? Someone tell me if I' m wrong.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 29, 2007 21:34

ORIGINAL: UnluckyOne

Someone tell me if I' m wrong.

You' re spot on, and you got in just before the Bungie Weekly Update where tey explain it:

You Owe me 80p!

One item making the interwebs rounds this week was the scandalous revelation that Halo 3 runs at “640p” which isn’t even technically a resolution. However, the interweb detectives did notice that Halo 3’s vertical resolution, when captured from a frame buffer, is indeed 640 pixels. So what gives? Did we short change you 80 pixels?

Naturally it’s more complicated than that. In fact, you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels. The reason we chose this slightly unorthodox resolution and this very complex use of two buffers is simple enough to see – lighting. We wanted to preserve as much dynamic range as possible – so we use one for the high dynamic range and one for the low dynamic range values. Both are combined to create the finished on screen image.

This ability to display a full range of HDR, combined with our advanced lighting, material and postprocessing engine, gives our scenes, large and small, a compelling, convincing and ultimately “real” feeling, and at a steady and smooth frame rate, which in the end was far more important to us than the ability to display a few extra pixels. Making this decision simpler still is the fact that the 360 scales the
“almost-720p” image effortlessly all the way up to 1080p if you so desire.

In fact, if you do a comparison shot between the native 1152x640 image and the scaled 1280x720, it’s practically impossible to discern the difference. We would ignore it entirely were it not for the internet’s propensity for drama where none exists. In fact the reason we haven’t mentioned this before in weekly updates, is the simple fact that it would have distracted conversation away from more important aspects of the game, and given tinfoil hats some new gristle to chew on as they catalogued their toenail clippings.

LINK

canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 30, 2007 06:20
Is that why when myself and my brother play on the same console 2 player co-op the screen is cut short on the edges? I get full vertical, but it cuts at the edges leaving the edges in black.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 30, 2007 07:02

Is that why when myself and my brother play on the same console 2 player co-op the screen is cut short on the edges? I get full vertical, but it cuts at the edges leaving the edges in black.

Yeah it could be, if your screen is doing proper 1:1 pixel mapping. You would be getting what is being outputted, in other words you' re not missing anything. However some screens have issues with overscan. Which crops or cuts off part of the edges. A real pain in the ass. The person who implemented overscan needs to be shot.
canadagamer

• Total Posts : 965
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 30, 2007 09:13
Yeah, I found out that if I change my HD settings on the 360 down to 480p it will allow co-op without the edges being cut off. I' m sure most people knew that already, but I suffer from CDS (Chronic Dumbass Syndrome), and did not know.

Anyway, look for me online tonight for some Halo 3 multiplayer!!!

Tag is PredatoryElk.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Sep 30, 2007 17:56
Sorry I was playing with 8 people at the same house together so I didn' t join up with you guys, but I would be down for it later.

btw, batting rockets with the brute hammer OWNS YO FACE!1
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Oct 01, 2007 10:35

and btw

you could argue we gave you 1280 pixels of vertical resolution, since Halo 3 uses not one, but two frame buffers – both of which render at 1152x640 pixels.

So there you have it.

We? Hehe, the way you phrase things sounds like you were part of the development team ;)

Using double buffering is a standard method though so it' s not something special if Halo 3 uses this technique. Games have been mostly programmed this way for a long time.
< Message edited by ys -- 1 Oct 07 3:36:00 >
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Oct 02, 2007 01:32
Finally got a chance to play Halo 3 recently, completed the first mission and for a first-person shooter it' s not so bad. It' s definitely not my type of game (not a fan of first-person games) but I' m curious to experience the later levels to see how much the action picks up.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Halo 3 reviews/impressions - Oct 02, 2007 01:57
The level with the two Scarabs is fucking awesome. Playing that on co-op with three other guys on Legendary must be a blast.
Change Page: < 1234567 | Showing page 7 of 7, messages 121 to 133 of 133

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message