Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii is bad for the industry
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 78
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 10:56
Online play is meant for challenge, it is very unlikely that you have 3 friends that are equally skilled at gaming as you, at my age me and my friends don' t hang around in the house playing games, we' re adults and we have lives, we go outside, not sit around playing games like geeks.

Online you go against people who are also skilled and by playing skilled players you get better at the game, us hardcore gamers like to get better at games, I don' t understand why you want to get drunk at home playing a video game console with 3 friends, how much of a loser are you? If you want to get drunk go OUTSIDE like to a party, bar, etc. and drink there and get laid while you' re at it instead of being a 30 year old virgin getting drunk in your moms basement with your other loser/geek friends.
< Message edited by emofag -- 15 Sep 07 2:57:25 >
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 11:10
Actually I said " a couple of beers" and not " the whole shipment of vodka for your town" . With this I wanted to emphasize that I see gaming as something you do as part of fun in a laid back atmosphere which doesn' t involve getting drunk. Like meeting with friends to watch a couple of movies or play some soccer. (And I am not a real adult either, just hit 18 last year.)
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 11:35

Us hardcore gamers

You seem to be using that word alot?

I like to know what games you play or have mastered to make you such a HC gamer?

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 12:09

I like to know what games you play or have mastered to make you such a HC gamer?

Hardcore gamer doesn' t mean masterful gamer.
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 12:29
I m just wondering what games these 11.6 million wii owners are playing . Wii sports ??
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 13:18

It' s Wii Play that comes with the Wiimote, not Wii Sport...

Biggest waste of money ever. I would rather save $10 and just buy the wiimote and nunchuck. The game has nothing fun. Atleast Wii sports can occupy a group of people, I cant get anyone to play Wii Play for more than 10 Min.
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 14:17

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

He doesn' t know the definition, he' s a casual.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 22:29

A Big jump there??

IF you meant Mastering games isnt part of being a HC gamer (or even the jump you made above) you couldnt be more wrong..

Mastering Games, plays a Big part of determining whether your a hardcore gamer. You can go out and buy a load of titles but if you don' t put the time into them and only play them for 5 mins each. This is not considered as Hardcore.

A hardcore gamer would of spent a lot of time into the games he' s brought and mastered atleast a few them to a degree. But if he was to spend a quick 5 mins on each, this would make him more a casual. (theres no way one can even try to argue against this)

Evilman your still dodging my question dude!!

Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 22:53
You are acting like it' s the 11th Commandment: You shall master at least x games to be considered a hardcore gamer.

I believe that you can' t simply say somebody is not a hardcore gamer because he doesn' t devote all his time to one game. In fact I think people who are only playing one game, and that one ALL the time, are in fact not hardcore (i.e. for example people who are only playing WoW or Counter-Strike) at all. I believe to somebody be considered hardcore there has to be a lot of appreciation for the games industry, a certain knowledge of video games and, of course, a shit load of played games. Mastering games is only a little extra to make you a bit MORE hardcore.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 23:07
I kinda have to agree with Emo on this one. My friends and I are on entirely different levels of gaming. Not to mention playing on a 12 inch corner of a screen really isn' t my idea of fun.

There' s something to be said for LAN games however. They' re clearly the best form of multiplayer in my opinion. You have the advantage of getting to curse out all of your friend in real time, locally, while having your screen to yourself and a comfortable place to sit.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 23:47
At the end of the day im glad i can come back home from super hardcore Q3 or VF4-5 Trouneys, and apreciate the Wii and what it offers (with or without friends). I understand both sides and apreciate what they both offer: entertainment.
< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 15 Sep 07 15:56:15 >
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 00:11

I believe to somebody be considered hardcore there has to be a lot of appreciation for the games industry, a certain knowledge of video games and, of course, a shit load of played games. Mastering games is only a little extra to make you a bit MORE hardcore.

yeah that' s me
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 00:23

IF you meant Mastering games isnt part of being a HC gamer (or even the jump you made above) you couldnt be more wrong..

I had this nice post all ready but I accidentally restarted my computer before I could post. ***ing automatic updates.

Anyways I' ll try this again.

There' s a lot of stigmas and implications that go along with the term " Hardcore gamer" but all it truely means is " experienced gamer" . You don' t even need to play that much to be hardcore. Being knowledgeable about gaming is a much better benchmark. People who go to these tournaments are all hardcore gamers but most hardcore gamers do not go. It' s hardly a prerequisite to be the worlds best at any game to be hardcore.

Most of us who spend time on the Kikizo forums are Hardcore gamers. Our generation has this ability to effortlessly communicate with people on the other side of the planet using the internet. Strangers that we would otherwise never have met or even have know existed. What do we do with this ability? We discuss gaming. That makes us Hardcore!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_gamer
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 15 Sep 07 16:26:25 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 00:23
I spend ten times more money on videogames and games consoles than most people. I know more about this industry and videogames in general than most people. The only console i haven' t had at launch since the Saturn is Wii, and the only console released here in the last 17 years i haven' t owned is the Wii.

Owned/own:

NES
Master System
Mega Drive
Super NES
Saturn (bought at launch)
PlayStation (bought at launch)
N64 (bought at launch)
Dreamcast (bought at launch)
PlayStation 2 (bought at launch)
GameCube (bought at launch)
Xbox (bought at launch)
Xbox 360 (bought at launch)
PlayStation 3 (bought at launch)

What type of gamer should i be calling myself???
2pac

• Total Posts : 1032
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 00:59

ORIGINAL: Nitro

I spend ten times more money on videogames and games consoles than most people. I know more about this industry and videogames in general than most people. The only console i haven' t had at launch since the Saturn is Wii, and the only console released here in the last 17 years i haven' t owned is the Wii.

Owned/own:

NES
Master System
Mega Drive
Super NES
N64 (bought at launch)
Xbox (bought at launch)

A lucky one
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 01:12
A rich one, more like..

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 15 Sep 07 17:13:16 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 01:13
Agent your post made sense indeed, but it was the mastering of a game / gaining knowledge of how a game worked and having fun with that, which ultimately drove you to excessively buy more and more consoles and consoles games to look for more experiences / games to master (nitro).

IE: I started with playing Kung-fu master in the arcades, i managed to get to the last stage (nver quite completed it, but i sure did master / had a great understanding of it, to enjoy the experience). The involvement and fun i had mastering the basics of the game drove me to ultimately buy a NES, then the snowball began. The Knowledge of how the industry comes with the package (evilkiller), you would buy Magazine to see which games are coming out for the system, you start reading about sales figure, game ratings ETC, arguing with friends which is better SEGA or Nintendo, being part of a forum etc.. All stems from an enjoyable experience and that enjoyable experience is always a game you have managed to grasp and mastered (at least to a degree), otherwise you wouldn' t have enjoyed it in the first place.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 01:31
Do you know what made me decide to do a Games Design degree?

Metal Gear Solid. Can you guess why?

Before 1999 i wanted to join the army and blow shit up...
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 01:39

Owned/own:

NES
Master System
Mega Drive
Super NES
N64 (bought at launch)
Xbox (bought at launch)

Casual.

Before 1999 i wanted to join the army and blow shit up...

I like your avatar.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 16, 2007 03:52
I think it' s pretty dumb to label people as hardcore gamers or casual gamers to being with.
And to then judge ones opinions based on such simple cathegories is something I find very disturbing.
Anyone can discuss videogames as it' s a very broad type of media. Disregarding opinions of inexperienced or relatively uninterested people is a sad thing to do.

Of course, owning more consoles, spending more time on it, playing a larger variety of titles, knowing about development and companies and following related news gives you the advantage of having more experience from different aspects of videogaming. A broader perspective.

But I still think that even the most casual gamer can have very valuable opinions about videogames and they can contribute to the industry in many ways. They should not be overlooked. If videogames will only appeal to hardcore gamers the media will have very limited influence and people who aren' t introduced to the media will instead be afraid of it which will be a great disadvantage to the industry. That will lead to many limitations.

To me videogames is very close to being an artform much like music or painting. A higher form of entertainment.
As such, experience is individual so everyone' s opinion is interesting to hear, as long as it isn' t blatant lies.
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 41 to 60 of 78

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message