Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Wii is bad for the industry
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 78
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 12, 2007 21:16
Doubt it. Even though most major 3rd party devs would support the " weakling" millions would still buy the powerful consoles simply because of their power. Those millions of people alone are enough to motivate 3rd party developers to keep creating games for the powerful consoles. Of course, developers would still want to create games for both console types as it would increase profits.
But anyway, I don' t think the price of the Wii is a major factor. I think it' s the controller. If all three manufacturers have inovative controllers next generation, then they' ll have to play the power card in order to compete.
But that' s IF (and that' s a major if) the Wii can keep satisfying the Wii owners.
I imagine that once non-gamers and casual gamers have gotten a taste of the Wii, they' d like to try out the PS3 and the 360 as well since they' ve gotten introduced to the concept of gaming.

But whatever, maybe you' re right, maybe the whole industry is fucked and the Wii is wolf in disguise. Who knows. At least I' ll have fun with it
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 12, 2007 21:25

I don' t think the price of the Wii is a major factor. I think it' s the controller. If all three manufacturers have inovative controllers next generation, then they' ll have to play the power card in order to compete.

Yeah the Wii mote is also the reason, but if it cost 600$ it wouldnt sell like hot cakes.

The wii is marketed as being fun to play on, not that it has great games, there the difference.

Wii look at me, im swinging my arms like a freakin lunatic, im having fun though the game is bad, look at mii, haha!

If all companies try having controllers akin to the wii mote next gen, ill definetly be getting into PC gaming.

Imagine playing Ninja Gaiden with a Wii mote, it should have been a periphial!
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 12, 2007 23:25
Coming back from Omega lan event and Seeing a 360 Room with 3 people playing COD4 then walking through the packed PC room into the even more Packed Wii-party Room with about 30+ gamers of all age, Sex having a Toruney of Wii Sports Really sums everything up TBH.

Chill the *** out. Have a laff or leave it be, simple as.. Cos theres plenty out thier who enjoy and buy the thing anyway.

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 12 Sep 07 17:51:25 >
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 12, 2007 23:32

Sex having a Toruney of Wii Sports Really sums everything up TBH.

They had sex?

So you think they will be playing Wii Sports for many hours of gaming, if a person can stand playing 20 hours of Wii sports, they need to have their heads examined, its fun for a brief burst of time, but thank god its a free game!

Chill the *** out. Have a laff or leave it be, simple as.. Cos theres plenty out thier who enjoy and buy the thing anyway.

'
Hey if you dont like the thread! Get the fuck out!

ginjirou

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 01:27
If I had 30 people over at my house you can bet your ass on that I' d be playing Wii sports or similar. Playing DOD4 in such a crowd would just be distracting.
But would I be playing Wii sports if I wanted to play for myself or if I just had one or two buddies over at my place? F*** no!
The consoles and game types are suited for different situations.

VX, I think he means gender when he says sex, although I' m not sure
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 01:35

VX, I think he means gender when he says sex, although I' m not sure

Ohhh what are girls doing at a Lan, thats fucking scary ! If girls are geeky enough to go to a lan...... I dare not think the thought!

ginjirou

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 01:41
So you' re saying that you did believe he meant sexual intercourse but didn' t get the idea of girls at a LAN party when he said

Sex having a Toruney of Wii Sports Really sums everything up TBH.

?

That means you thought he meant GUYS were having sex at a LAN party..

mmmpffff, pfff, BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 01:46
lol, don' t tell me VX your one of the Those People who Fill in the part of an Application that asks for your sex, with

' Yes Please' ..
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 02:12

lol, don' t tell me VX your one of the Those People who Fill in the part of an Application that asks for your sex, with

' Yes Please' ..

What? thats not what they mean?
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 04:57
Divides the market, thats for sure. Bad? it' s doing alot more good than Bad.

Hardware has not much to do with it either, If Wii was as powerful as 360 or PS3, Nintendo' s games would show-up 3rd parties Even more.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 07:43
Too bad that didnt happen. Pics or not true.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 07:54

Which game last gen surpassed everything that was done prior to that?

For me personally it was Shenmue. It was epic in its scope, NPC' s had their own routines and lives. All of them had a voice too instead of the standard scrolling text in RPG' s. Besides that there were hundreds of different NPC' s. There was also an arcade hall with classic playable games, you could buy things from stores, the main character actually opened doors, walked on stairs, dialed a phone correctly. The camera adapted itself dynamically during conversations, there were QTE' s and there also was a fighting engine with reasonable depth,...

I hadn' t seen a game with so many different features like that one before. To be honest, not after it either ;)
< Message edited by ys -- 12 Sep 07 23:55:20 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 12:30

2: Working with less and coming up with more (Creative will)

Not creative enough or not in the same frame-mind as Nintendo, or other Devs when it comes to making creative games and coming up with new ideas that are good ones.. Too busy trying to create PC type experinces as opposed to ' Home console' ones.

This is why you' ll see the More creative devs like: Konami, Capcom, SEGA, Temco ect only Praise the Machine and its controller and direction.

Aslo as gin kinda stated, Bringing in Masses of new Gamers is Only good for the industry.

That' s faulty logic. If " less" is more then imagine how much more " more" is. In no way are PS3 or 360 impaired for supporting creativity. Certainly not because the hardware is more capable.

At best, you could say that Nintendo is more creative than any other developer and no other platform has Nintendo games. Nintendo isn' t the most creative developer, but if you must have Nintendo games one could make a case for Wii.

Wii would still be a piece of shit though.

If everyone is buying the last gen platform, developers will have smaller budgets for making great games on capable platforms. Wii is effectively pulling the industry back 5 years, or at least creating drag.
Vx Chemical

RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 13, 2007 15:56

For me personally it was Shenmue. It was epic in its scope, NPC' s had their own routines and lives. All of them had a voice too instead of the standard scrolling text in RPG' s. Besides that there were hundreds of different NPC' s. There was also an arcade hall with classic playable games, you could buy things from stores, the main character actually opened doors, walked on stairs, dialed a phone correctly. The camera adapted itself dynamically during conversations, there were QTE' s and there also was a fighting engine with reasonable depth,...

I hadn' t seen a game with so many different features like that one before. To be honest, not after it either ;)

Actually the game outcast was just as epic in its scope, featuring huge wide open spaces and daily rutines for its inhabitants.

Though Shenmue and Outcast were both ahead of their time an even more advanced game could be created on the 360 and the PS3, and not the Wii. The wii should only feature abstract and cartony games games like Mario and Zelda, everything wanting to look real will just be an abomination.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 14, 2007 06:45

They had sex?

Old women screwing 5 year olds?
Icarus75

• Total Posts : 42
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 06:08
Hardware sale are only a piece of the puzzle here. The real money in the gaming industry comes from, well, games.

Take a look at the software numbers.

360 is currently moving more software than Wii and PS3 combined. Does anyone really belive this fact has been lost on developers? 360 has combined respectable marketshare with a hardcore userbase. Wii has an industry high marketshare but a casual audience that will only buy 2-3 games a year. I' d rather be in Microsoft' s shoes. With revenue streams from LIVE subscriptions, arcade micro-transactions and traditional game sales they have the most diversified strategy and they did it without abandoning the Hardcore. Wii' s hardware success has not changed the fact that blockbuster games are almost always developed with the hardcore in mind. Anybody that touts Wii Sports as a casual games blockbuster, give your head a shake, that game would go nowhere if it didn' t include an extra Wii-mote.

Yes, Nintendo has chosen to abandon the hardcore. Before the Nintendo fanboys flame me to death, I own all three systems. I hardly ever play with the Wii. Why? Because the games look like so much fecal matter on my HD TV next to Gears, Bioshock, Ninja Gaiden Sigma etc.. Graphics aren' t everything, it' s true but they' re not nothing either are they?

In the long run Wii will get buried by HD game sales. Is it bad for the industry? Absolutely NOT. Anything that introduces gaming to a wider audience and helps shed the stigma around gaming in North America (I can' t speak intelligently of european gaming) is good for the industry.

What is bad for the industry is SONY' s stumbling launch year and seeming inability to compete with Microsoft war chest of cash. Where are your exclusives SONY? Remind me why I dropped $550 (canadian) on your blu-ray player? The best thing I' ve got for my PS3 is the BBC documentry Planet Earth on Blu-Ray. Ninja Gaiden is great but I already beat it on Xbox. If SONY can' t pick up the slack than we have Microsoft dominating and any company with a near monopoly is bad news for the competitve spirit.

edited: for spelling errors
< Message edited by icarus75 -- 14 Sep 07 22:10:44 >
gamer4eva

• Total Posts : 104
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 06:44

Anybody that touts Wii Sports as a casual games blockbuster, give your head a shake, that game would go nowhere if it didn' t include an extra Wii-mote.

The game comes with the Wii console, not a Wiimote. As soon as the casual see other people playing Tennis and bowling, it was a casual Hit. It' s Unique and easily the most accessible game to date. This is why it' s a winner.

360 doing the worst for gaming IMO as it' s drawing people away from playing at home with each other. Too much thought on online play and not interacting directly with people. Good job Wii is here to counter that.

Also, Too many Xbox FPS' s kids growing up not knowing anything else but FPS after FPS. Has 360 actually got a good original game? PS3 aims well with Littlebigplannet, Wii is built for original games of course but im not seing anything for 360 in this direction. Ultimately i feel Microsoft will loose bigtime if they continue to concentrate on Hardcore FPS. It' s turning into a Poor mans PC and nothing Else.
< Message edited by gamer4eva -- 14 Sep 07 22:48:59 >
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 06:47
It' s Wii Play that comes with the Wiimote, not Wii Sport...

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 06:52
Has the 360 got any original titles......Table tennis, Viva Pinata. There you go 2 for starters.

Wii sports is not a hit, it is a give away, it is included with the console, not everyone likes Wii sports who had it forced on them.

Face it the Wii is not a serious gaming machine, the sameway a ZX Spectrum or a Commodore 64 wasn' t a serious PC. The Wii is a bit of fun, that can be enjoyed by everyone of all ages, however until it has titles of substance and quality it will be seen as a gimmick, is that bad for the gaming industry? Who knows at the moment it is bringing people and money into the industry and if that inturn brings about a diversity in the type of games that are played, then it is a good thing, the only thing that needs to be watched is the quality, if people will accept anyone old rubbish from devs, then the industry will suffer.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Wii is bad for the industry - Sep 15, 2007 09:36
gamer4eva I can' t see your point on this one. Just because 360 got online play it doesn' t mean people stop going out. It' s a bit like you' d say people stop talking and meeting each other in person cause there are IM' s. Playing online is no replacement for 4 people and a couple of beers at a friends house, but it' s still fun. And actually I doubt that anybody stopped going over to his friends house because there is online play. It' s not a replacement for the way you interact with your gaming friends, it' s just another way.

And what exactly did Wii to counter this? They completely bricked online gimping, wow. And actually I absolutely can' t see your point. I never had any friends come over to play some Wii Sports with me. The only time people play mah Wii is when I am giving a party or some kids are visiting my family. If I just owned a Wii I actually doubt that people would even visit me for the sole purpose for gaming (And it will stay that way until SSBB und Mario Kart Wii get released). On the other hand I have regular meet ups with my friends to play Xbox.
< Message edited by Evilkiller -- 15 Sep 07 2:39:00 >
Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 21 to 40 of 78

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread