Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours?
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 47
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 02:19

All in all, I don' t really get the reviews. It' s very decent but all those reviews made it sound like it was something extremely incredible.

Yep, beware of the hype seriously, i' m glad it gets down to earth in gamerankings , that is from the incredible 99% to the more realistic score 96%, and i still think it' s pretty high, around 91% is the sweet spot to me... i think reviews tend to reward developers who do anything original and can be extremly forgiving with these games, they actualy want to encourage developers. on the contrast, games that are pure sequals which don' t bring anything new get bashed even if it' s totally excellent...

ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 02:34

Is VX the only old fart here that can handle 1st person?

Hehehe. Well, I do tolerate some of them strange enough. And weird enough GTA3, not being an FPS, made me seriously motion sick. I once read about some research which showed that Asian people suffer from this a bit more often compared to others. Which explained a little part of why FPS was less popular there according to some Japanese players themselves.

i think reviews tend to reward developers who do anything original and can be extremly forgiving with these games, they actualy want to encourage developers. on the contrast, games that are pure sequals which don' t bring anything new get bashed even if it' s totally excellent...

Very true. Gamespot once wrote that they have this criterium for their reviews. That a very good sequel will get less points than the one before even if they improved some things...

Strange enough they gave Shenmue a very bad score despite the game being quite innovative on many points. So they don' t seem too consequent ;)
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 02:37
Can' t really get into Bioshock at the moment...I dunno what it is. I think it tries too hard to get that atmosphere/surreal-ness that SS2 managed to achieve naturally.

And then imo the plasmid system just feels tacked on to add some gameplay value. Not only did Ryan decide to design and build an underwater city, he had some spare time to crack the human genome to give everyone superpowers.

Love the environment design, but it gets kinds samey after a while.

The animations feel to cartoony to be genuinely chilling, which doesn' t quite fit with the not-so-subtle soundeffects and music.

I was hoping it' d be a lot more subtle and with a lot less handholding. I' ve yet to play the whole game but so far......7/10....sorry!
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 03:24
I' d give it a very weak 9 judging by what I played so far. They did almost everything right but nothing is perfect IMO. The biggest flaw? The game bores me sometimes. I prefer games that are always exciting all the time where you just can' t stop playing. Resident Evil 4 is that kind of game.
Bioshock just loses the pace sometimes and that makes me want to play something else.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 1 Sep 07 19:26:22 >
Abasoufiane

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 04:34
well guys, it seems , as rare as it happens, we agree that Bioshock isn' t " that" great ... and i agree with pretty much every criticism you made about the game, almost all of you made true and good points . yes Ginji the game gets boring at times specialy about the tasks in which you have to find some parts ..
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 04:44

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

well guys, it seems , as rare as it happens, we agree that Bioshock isn' t " that" great ... and i agree with pretty much every criticism you made about the game, almost all of you made true and good points . yes Ginji the game gets boring at times specialy about the tasks in which you have to find some parts ..

I can' t wait until your 360 dies on you.
Abasoufiane

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 05:01
shut up please pretty please, grow the fuck up or die already.
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 06:07
I have to completely disagree. In my opinion Bioshock is one of the best games of the last 5 years. While I can partially understand your criticisms they only had a minor effect on me. I was mostly sucked in by the dense atmosphere and had great difficulties to actually stop playing. I am about to beat the game for the second time and I am still as entertained as during my first playthrough. I have to especially praise the audio diaries that are a great contributing factor to the fantastic atmosphere. And that plot twist has to be one of the best I' ve seen in years in video games. I' d even say that, even though the main character lacks characterization, Bioshock could be easily made into a gripping movie because the story is that good. My biggest criticism has to be the final battle which somehow wasn' t as challenging as I expected it to be (But i haven' t fought it on hard yet, so maybe my opinion concerning this will change). Nothing in comparison to the very first encounter with a big daddy which, in my opinion, has to be one of the best moments in gaming history.

Nitro

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 07:06
This is a game that at one point nobody wanted to publish. It wasn' t WWII and it wasn' t modern day so obviously it wasn' t going to sell...

Take a look at Timeshift, ...it started out with steampunk art direction, Atari wasn' t convinced and dropped it, Sierra picked it up and requested some changes. Now it' s a same-old-shit sci-fi shooter.

Bioshock is both steampunk and biopunk (much like how Invisible War was cyberpunk and biopunk), and not everybody will appreciate the art direction, but the fact that it' s gotten such fantastic reviews will have ramifications throughout the industry. For a while, publishers will think twice about saying no to left field, traditionally unsafe proposals, and that' s a good for us.

Technically the game is solid. It' s not the best looking title and it has some minor issues, but they are very minor and on the whole it' s nicer looking than 99% of everything else so far this gen. The framerate is buttery smooth too, something that many developer have been struggling with. Plus they were smart enough to allow you to switch from 30 to 60 frames a second, and yeah at 60fps there' s screen tearing but it' s nice for those that can tolerate such stuff.

The animations fit with the art style although i' ll accept that compared to some other games they can seem amateurish.

The sound isn' t perfect, i can' t even tell if it' s directional or not, ...but i only have an issue with the voices travelling through walls and sounding too near, not with the rest of the game' s sounds.

It doesn' t have a multiplayer mode, but that' s not a bad thing. I don' t think it would work at all anyway, just look at Prey.

The game reminds me of Doom 3, ...and i adored Doom 3. I listen to every recorded message, just like i read every PDA. The story isn' t anything special but it' s pretty fleshed out and it' s very well written.

The game does hold your hand, but you can turn both the adaptive training and quest arrow off so it' s not something i think people should be complaining too much about...

The character desn' t talk, but then most characters in first person shooters are mutes. The idea is that giving the character a voice would detract from the immersivess. You are supposed to imagine yourself as the protaganist. Whether it works or not is an indivdual opinion, ...some people will really get into it and others will be thinking " why doesn' t he talk???" . I' m not sure it can be counted as a negative, especially when Rapture is supposed to be the main " character" .

Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 07:44
Bioshock is extremely polished but the core gameplay elements feel lacking at times.
Abasoufiane

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 07:55

extremely polished

i don' t agree about the " extremely" part, i wonder how can u say that , the game is lacking in animation, pop up textures, hitches for a second or two (i thought i' (m the only one on this but Gamespot reviewer said the same thing as well ), the problem of sound' s distance (although it didn' t bother me)... nothing major except for the texture thing that REALLY annoyed me , but that' s may be my disc screwing up i don' t know ..
Evilkiller

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 08:00
This might be possibly really related to the print of your disc. My friends Bioshock disc has some serious texture pop up problems in Hephaestus while on the other hand I only have some minor texture popping up when I am just entering a level.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 08:06
I don' t know what you could want more in terms of animations, there' s only so much you can cram into a game. As for texture pop ups, that' s only with the 360 version. The game wasn' t designed that way. On PC there is no texture pop ups.

I didn' t notice anything wrong with the sound. I' ll take Joe' s word on it.

It is an " extremely polished game" , I never said it was perfect. You can' t deny that there are very few games in this scope that are more polished than Bioshock. With thoousands of games to consider, that would put Bioshock in the extreme of more polish.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 08:12

And weird enough GTA3, not being an FPS, made me seriously motion sick.

Same here, and I am a purebred whiteboy honkey! I think it might have to do with the lower framerate combined with the fake blur they put on everything to try and hide it. Plus the camera system never stayed still.

If Bioshock is the best game in the last 5 years, then... wow, that sure doesn' t say much for the last 5 years of gaming. I wonder if Terry Bogard thinks this is the b3st gam3 evar!!1!!.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 18:25
Thats not motion sickness with GTA3, its called suck sickness.

Bioshock>everyone who doesnt like it.
ginjirou

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 19:17
Metroid>[insert game to continue]
Evilkiller

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 20:48

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Metroid>Metroid Prime

Yeah, that' s about right.
ginjirou

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 21:00
Just go die!
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 21:34
I haven' t had nearly enough spare time to finish, but so far I' d give it a 9/10.

It looks great and moves smoothly. Then again, I' m not the type of person who spends valuable game time trying to see whether or not a texture on random wall loses quality occasionally. When I' m playing, I like what I see.

Sound design is good except for the volume problem. But that' s a really minor problem. It only seems to happen with voices. Footsteps and stuff sound fine.

The AI is pretty amusing. It' s fun watching the enemies react. Best thing so far was making two Big Daddies fight each other. Also the most cost-efficient way to kill. Two Big Daddies worth of cash and only two shotgun shells used.

Someone mentioned the fact that the Big Daddies get faster when they get angry as a negative...I LOVED that! I love it when a game can suprise me like that.

The story itself just serves to push the player through the game is seems, nothing terrible interesting is happening. However, the backstory more than makes up for it. They' ve created a really interesting world for those who choose to slow down a bit and appreciate it.

(Ryan didn' t have to crack the human genome. He just discovered Adam and found a way to manipulate it with plasmids and a lot of unsavory experiments. And he had a buttload of doctors to help. Plus, he' s fucking nuts, which always helps.)

I really like the level design, and I' m hoping it doesn' t get stupid and crazy just for the sake of variety by the end of the game. Keep it plausible, please.
Nitro

RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 21:42

ORIGINAL: immortaldanmx

Bioshock>everyone who doesnt like it.

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 47

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages