Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 is VGA 360 cable any good?
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 07:04
i just bought a 360 VGA cable " gamewave" i couldn' t find MS ones , i really had a hard time to find this one, my question is as above, is the quality great, does that strictly depends on the quality of the monitor, if so will an LCD 5 ms 1280*1024 be good enough ? please your comments
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 07:12
Yes it will be good enough,however I have no idea of the quality of some unsupported product.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 07:23
Why would you have a 5:4 monitor? That' s so 2004...

Is it 19" ???

You won' t be able to select 1280 x 1024, you' ll likely have to choose 1360x768 as using 1280x768 will result in a squished image.

You' ll then have to manually adjust the image to take the picture from 5:4 to 16:9 but it' ll have big black borders at the top and bottom.

The spring update added VGA colour profiles under display so to get the best picture you' ll probably want to set it to ' expanded' .

Also, unless your monitor has built-in speakers (which would suck) you' ll need some that have an audio in socket.

As for the image quality, when set to actual 720p on a HDTV it' s sharper than component and now that they' ve fixed the washed out colour problem i find it just as good as HDMI.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 08:32
You can select 1280x1024. I' ve used it before. Some games have black bars ont he bottom and top, which I like because there is no distortion and it uses the exact resolution and looks amazing. But PGR3 distorts and stretches it and it looks bad. Most games use full screen but the aspect ratio is correct so it looks pretty good.

I dunno how good an off brand would be. It should work the same I would assume, but I know in the past there have been VGA Xbox 1 adapters that simply converted 480i to VGA which is about the stupidest thing they could do when every game supported 480p.
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 08:36

ORIGINAL: locopuyo

You can select 1280x1024.

Really?

Some games have black bars ont he bottom and top, which I like because there is no distortion and it uses the exact resolution and looks amazing. But PGR3 distorts and stretches it and it looks bad. Most games use full screen but the aspect ratio is correct so it looks pretty good.

But if it' s fullscreen and the aspect ratio is correct then there' s some of the screen missing from each side?

For games that are widescreen it' s either a stretched image or it' s missing parts of the screen. You' d have to alter the display and have black bars to get the full 16:9 image right?

choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 08:39
Id definitely recommend getting a widescreen monitor for the vga cable. But 360 was designed for HDTVs so if you can, save up for a cheap one of those instead. There are some good deals nowadays. ..

The VGA interface itself is pretty good now the colours have been dealt with, although I still prefer component over VGA for colour. Also even though VGA is sharper, sometimes devs use that natural blur of component to smooth the dirty edges a little. So I actually prefer to use component when I can.

Havent tried HDMI.
< Message edited by choupolo -- 3 Sep 07 0:43:07 >
locopuyo

RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 08:47

ORIGINAL: Nitro

You can select 1280x1024.

Really?

Some games have black bars ont he bottom and top, which I like because there is no distortion and it uses the exact resolution and looks amazing. But PGR3 distorts and stretches it and it looks bad. Most games use full screen but the aspect ratio is correct so it looks pretty good.

But if it' s fullscreen and the aspect ratio is correct then there' s some of the screen missing from each side?

For games that are widescreen it' s either a stretched image or it' s missing parts of the screen. You' d have to alter the display and have black bars to get the full 16:9 image right?

Some of the games, have black bars on the top and bottom outputing in 1280x1024 and the game uses 1280x720 just like it is rendered at. Some are the correct aspect ratio and adjust the field of view correctly for 5:4, just like they do from 16:9 to 4:3.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 10:15
sorry it' s in french but you can figure things out:

Asus

OR

LG
locopuyo

RE: is VGA 360 cable any good? - Sep 03, 2007 10:37
I' d probably go with the widescreen.

Jump to: