Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 The Star Wars Debate
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26
kombatfighter

• Total Posts : 428
The Star Wars Debate - Apr 29, 2005 17:13
I just wanted to see everyone' s opinion on this.

I believe that the old Star Wars that include Episodes 4,5,6 are the best out of the series. Why? Cause it seemed like an actual story was being told.

I also believe that the new Star Wars Episodes suck more than the suckiest suck out there when compared to the originals and other movies. Too much special effects, especially in 2. It seemed to me that 2' s story was jammed up and didn' t flow.

In conclusion for now, I will have to say that Episode ones best moment was Darth Maul. Episode 2' s best moment was Yoda. Episode 3' s moment will prolly be Vader or the Jedi robot killer. Is that right? Will the Jedi Robot Killer be in this movie like in the Clone Wars cartoon series? No clue, but all the more reason to go see it I guess.

IF you' ve already had this debate then please link it. I hate having to go thru all of these posts just to find an article.
Sharon

• Total Posts : 960
RE: The Star Wars Debate - Apr 29, 2005 19:15

...Jedi robot killer

It' s called a Grevious Guard and yes we' ve had similiar discussions on this site before, but that' s okay. I agree with you that 4,5,6 episodes were the best and 1 and 2 sucked big time, but 3 seems to be shaping up nicely and LucasArts might actually pull it off with this one. I for one am excited about seeing it soon.
Mass X

• Total Posts : 4491
RE: The Star Wars Debate - Apr 30, 2005 00:36
Kevin Smith* was heard saying it was as good as Empire Strikes Back... some bold words there eh?

*Director/Actor: Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and everything in between
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
RE: The Star Wars Debate - Apr 30, 2005 02:05

Director/Actor: Clerks, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and everything in between

Jersey Girl was not inbetween...
yoshimitsu15

• Total Posts : 1038
RE: The Star Wars Debate - Apr 30, 2005 07:05
I don' t know if I speak for all Kevin Smith fans, but I personally like to ignore the fact that he made Jersey Girl.

Old ones good, new ones bad except for brief interludes. I don' t really have any high expectations for the new film, but like Episode 1 and 2, I' ll be waiting in line for my ticket.
kombatfighter

RE: The Star Wars Debate - Apr 30, 2005 15:15
Ok, cool. Was making sure that I wasn' t the only one who felt that the newer episodes have left fans and others doubting.
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 02, 2005 07:21
Ok, here' s my take on this. While I do like the old ones more than the original, I think the main reason is for nostalgia' s sake. When they first came to theatres I was just a little kid and loved them. And no, I didn' t love them cause of how bad ass vader was, I loved them cause of all the neat aliens and cute freakin ewoks, and all that other crap kids love. If you were under 10 at the time you loved them for the same reason. Problem is that when the new movies came out I no longer wanted to see cute ewoks and neato aliens. I wanted to see bad ass. The movies however were delivered in the same style as the first 3. Fans grew up, the movies stayed the same. Look at little kids, they love the current star wars movies. This still does not excuse the absolutley horrible interaction between Hayden Christiansen and Natalie Portman in Attack of the clones, but as a general rule, I think the 15 year old and up crowd is seeing the current trilogy through very jaded eyes. I will argue for ever that THE BEST Star Wars moment from all the films currently out there is the Darth Maul/Obi Wan/Qui Gon fight scene at the end of Phantom Menace. Extremely cool villain, excelent musical score, brilliantly coreographed fight scene.
kombatfighter

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 02, 2005 14:57

I will argue for ever that THE BEST Star Wars moment from all the films currently out there is the Darth Maul/Obi Wan/Qui Gon fight scene at the end of Phantom Menace. Extremely cool villain, excelent musical score, brilliantly coreographed fight scene.

OH YEAH! Dude, there hasn' t been a better scene. Perhaps, Obi vs Anakin might beat it. We' ll have to wait and see. However, the score of the music matched the fight scene definitely. Ray Park' s moves and taking on both of them was just fascinating. If I could train under someone, it would be him. Darth Maul' s look was like you really didn' t want to cross path with him. Cause if you did, you knew you were dead already. BUT YES!!! I always make sure that I watch that scene at least 2-3 times when I watch that movie that is.
< Message edited by kombatfighter -- 2 May 05 23:00:14 >
DaRoosh65

• Total Posts : 1968
RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 03, 2005 11:42

When they first came to theatres I was just a little kid and loved them. And no, I didn' t love them cause of how bad ass vader was, I loved them cause of all the neat aliens and cute freakin ewoks, and all that other crap kids love. If you were under 10 at the time you loved them for the same reason. Problem is that when the new movies came out I no longer wanted to see cute ewoks and neato aliens. I wanted to see bad ass. The movies however were delivered in the same style as the first 3.

I agree 100%. The original three episodes offered children an awesome treat that we will never forget. But, at the same time, we will compare all the new episodes against those original ones - expecting strides from the movie series, rather than more of the same.

It' s your insightfulness, mxpx182, that helps make these forums more interesting...more thought provoking.

I nominate mxpx182 as the ' deep-thinker' of the month!!!
jars

• Total Posts : 148
RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 03, 2005 22:51

OH YEAH! Dude, there hasn' t been a better scene. Perhaps, Obi vs Anakin might beat it.

Maybe. But to me, part of what made that scene so cool was the (subconscious) fact that Ray Park is actually a 6th Dan karate blackbelter (like 6th level of black-beltedness). So that actually made Darth Maul feel all the more badass.

But hey, if the choreography of 3 is like the choreography of 1, then i' d sure like to see that. Clone War' s fighting was so toned down compared to one. I can' t believe that Obi Wan fought Darth Maul so fast, yet fought Dooku so slow. In fact all the fighting in Clone Wars was slow.
mxpx182

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 04, 2005 07:25
What I liked about that figth scene aside from the awsome choreography was how Darth Maul used the force in little ways while he was fighting. He wasn' t shooting lightning blasts, or moving pillars. No, he threw a can without looking at it to the button that opened the door behind him. I love that part!
the.ben

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 04, 2005 07:50
that scene was freakin cool, but the best movie of them all is the Empire Strikes Back...

....but i have also heard it said that once episodes I, II, & III are doen, that lucas is going to release episodes IV, V, & VI into theaters again, and it' ll no longer be a 2-D movie.
mxpx182

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 04, 2005 12:51

but i have also heard it said that once episodes I, II, & III are doen, that lucas is going to release episodes IV, V, & VI into theaters again, and it' ll no longer be a 2-D movie.

Big surprise here. I wonder which Hollywood genius put this idea together. I bet the thought process went something like this:

" hmmmmm, we' ve just released episode 3 as the final prequel and now it looks like we won' t have any more new star wars movies to rake in the dough for us. Wait a minute!!!! We have 3 sequels already made!!! Let' s just push them back down the throats of all our brain dead legion of fans that will pay to see it in theatres no matter how many times we do it and we never have to think of original content again!!!! I deserve a raise! And my own Island."
kombatfighter

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 04, 2005 14:50

Maybe. But to me, part of what made that scene so cool was the (subconscious) fact that Ray Park is actually a 6th Dan karate blackbelter (like 6th level of black-beltedness). So that actually made Darth Maul feel all the more badass.

I could agree on that. I' m not sure if you meant degree instead of Dan but, pretty much after 3rd Degree blackbelt it' s all politics and talk rather than skill to be moved up. Great masters get to converse with each other on want rank you should be truly entitled at. My father was a 6th Degree black belt in Isshynru Karate and my mother is a 3rd Degree.

Let' s just push them back down the throats of all our brain dead legion of fans that will pay to see it in theatres no matter how many times we do it and we never have to think of original content again!!!! I deserve a raise! And my own Island."

Hehe... I do wish for them come out with a movie about how the Jedi were first formed and Sith wars and all of that. That would actually be interesting to find out the origins of the Jedi and Sith.
< Message edited by kombatfighter -- 4 May 05 22:56:22 >
kombatfighter

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 11, 2005 15:37
" SPEAK OF THE DEVIL! THIS IS TOO FUNNY!"

You gotta read this article mxpx182 and the.ben!

AP: What are your feelings about the movies finally ending?

Hamill: I' ve learned that the movies will never finally end. It just goes on and on and on and on. I mean, it' s going to be in 3D, then it' s going to be smellivision, then it' s going to be a ride in an amusement park, then they' ll come to your house and perform it with puppets on your lawn ... it' ll never end! I accepted that a long time ago.

An interview with Mark Hamill
mxpx182

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 11, 2005 20:27
That is funny. Very funny. I love the puppets on the lawn bit! Excellent find Kombat.
< Message edited by mxpx182 -- 12 May 05 4:28:26 >
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 12, 2005 05:35
I saw " Episode III" last Monday at a press screening, and in my opinion, it summed up everything that was wrong with the trilogy of prequels all along. It' s not about style, and it' s not about the differences in taste as we' re growing up. It' s a difference in vision and quality, plain and simple. The first trilogy -chronologically speaking- was a new epic taking form, a new mythology if you will. That' s why it captured the imagination of audiences of all ages, not just kids. It was a relatively simple tale, but it resonated with energy.

The new films are obviously very impressive from a technical point of view, but they are, for lack of a better word, completely soulless. At several points during the third episode, I felt like I was watching cut-scenes from a video game. The dialogues lack gravity, there are no convincing bonds between the characters and the script is obsessed with clarifying obscure plot points from the original trilogy, rather than actually telling a decent story. If you are a true SW fan, there are a couple of scenes that you absolutely have to see. Other than that, it' s a pretty standard CGI-fest.
mxpx182

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 12, 2005 07:23
that' s the first semi negative review I' ve really heard of Episode III Dismiss, but glad you shared your opinion. All the other reviews I' ve read say best of the 3, and even one of the top 3 overall.
the.ben

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 12, 2005 12:02
i haven' t had a chance to read that interview yet, but the snippit i did read....damn it sounds funny.
mxpx182

RE: The Star Wars Debate - May 12, 2005 13:24
That' s really the only funny part of the interview the.ben.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 26

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message