Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 07:09

In an effort to regain momentum in the video game console market, Microsoft Corp. will cut the price of the Xbox 360 by $50 early next month, sources said.

The reduction will be made Aug. 8, according to one source in the retail world, noting that the cut will come during what traditionally has been one of the slower times of the year for game hardware sales.

Asked to comment, a Microsoft spokesman said: " We have no announcements to make on pricing at this time. While price matters, content is king. And no other system is offering all the games people want to play this holiday at a better price than Xbox 360."

Still unclear is whether the cut will be made to all three versions of the Xbox 360 on the market. The Core model, which accounts for about 20% of Xbox 360 sales, retails for $299; the best-selling Pro model sells for $399, and the Elite model is about $479.

Although an Xbox price drop has been widely anticipated in the industry, just how much and when has been the subject of debate. One leading industry analyst, Michael Pachter of Wedbush Morgan, had forecast a similar reduction, which Microsoft denied.
CM8ShowAd(" Middle2"

As for the Aug. 8 date, there is significance to the timing. Not only will Electronic Arts' " Madden NFL 08" be reaching stores shelves just a few days after the drop, but Microsoft also has several other highly touted games, including " BioShock" by publisher Irrational Games and " John Woo Presents Stranglehold" from Tiger Hill Entertainment, coming for the Xbox 360 in August.

Speculation about an Xbox price cut grew after Sony Computer Entertainment America announced several weeks ago that it was dropping the price of its 60GB PlayStation 3 from $599 to $499. SCEA said this week that sales have been up 135% at its top five retail accounts since the move.

Those claims have yet to be reflected in the latest sales figures. According to the NPD Group, the Xbox 360 and PS3 continue to trail Nintendo' s Wii in terms of U.S. sales. In June, Wii outsold the Xbox 360 by nearly 2-to-1, 381,800 units to 198,400 units. But with the PS3 selling only 98,500 units in June, the good news for Microsoft is that it seems to be winning the battle for the hard-core gamer.

Michael Goodman, director of digital entertainment at Yankee Group, suggested that a $50 drop would boost Xbox 360 sales but not dent the market leader. " I think the price points are still high enough that they won' t stop Nintendo from maintaining their momentum," he said.

Microsoft should get a huge boost in September with the launch of the exclusive " Halo 3." At the E3 Media & Business Summit this month, Microsoft announced a special limited-edition " Halo" version of the 120GB Xbox 360 Elite Model that will go on sale shortly before " Halo" launches. Although it won' t come bundled with the game, the " Halo" Xbox 360 will have special game-related content preloaded into the hard drive.

Microsoft also has an advantage in that, unlike rivals Sony and Nintendo, the Xbox 360 has been out for more than 18 months and production is running strong, meaning that there is little danger of hardware shortages on store shelves come the holidays. Nintendo, on the other hand, recently said that it will be scrambling to meet demand all the way through year' s end.

Somewhat lost amid the battle for market share among the three hardware makers is the fact that the video game industry seems to be heading for a record year in the U.S. Combined hardware and software sales in June for consoles and hand-held systems reached $1.1 billion, up 31% year-over-year, while year-to-date total sales for first-half 2007 are at $6.1 billion, up 42% year-over-year.

first of all i think 50$ is not enough, they should have make 100$ cut price, that shouldbe more appealing and can do much more effect, i guess micorsoft have chosen (if the rumors are true) to go by 50$ because:

a) they are too confident in their line Up, specialy madden 2008 and Halo 3

b) they can' t afford a cut price right now, specialy after that 1billion dollar write off.

i' m a bit disapointed , Since microsoft is teh leader it shouldn' t follow its competitors but to lead in every way, that price drop should have been their first strike before sony, bringing them a tough time.

And i don' t think Halo3 will move so many consoles , i mean may be a million more consoles or two but that' s about it, that' s not enough IMO. Halo 3 + 100$ price drop could be a fatality move to sony at this time.

QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 07:12
50$ lesser is still a good deal,especially with cheap bundles.

And MS can afford whatever they want btw,they made 51 billion dollars in revenue.

They could make the console cost 200$ if they wanted.
But theyre trying to make this console a profit because thats what they hoping for,a dominance over the console market and with a console that makes money.

Also since ps3 isn' t becoming cheaper,this is a nice teaser until Sony finally drop the price with 100$ then MS can drop it with 100$ or 75$.
And still have the best deal.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 26 Jul 07 23:16:12 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 09:26

b) they can' t afford a cut price right now, specialy after that 1billion dollar write off.

I dont think thats the problem especially since halo 3 will be raking in quite a bit of money with over 5 million copies already pre-sold, not to mention the other games
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 22:26
That write off is absolutely no problem. Why? Because they wrote that billion off for last financial year. Therefore, most costs for repair (This 1 billion was also for future repairs) wont show on the financial report next year. Therefore if they want a price cut, that billion write off won' t hinder them.

On topic: I also would' ve preferred 100$ because I think it would be better for Microsoft because they could better compete with Wii at such a price point but well, better than no price drop, I suppose.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 22:55
If you think about it MS didn' t fall for the lure of a price drop instead they taking the same amount of money as withj a ps3.

Because ps3 just add a extra game.

Now with a 36+ bundle you basically dont pay for the game and can choose which bundle.

I know there isn' t a officiall sku out there but lots of stores has bundles like 360+a game for a certain price.
< Message edited by quezcatol -- 27 Jul 07 14:56:03 >
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 27, 2007 23:47

Now with a 36+ bundle you basically dont pay for the game and can choose which bundle.

Dont the 360' s already come with a game? Last Christmas 2 of my cousins got 360s and one got FIFA 06 and the other got burnout
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Strong Rumor: Xbox360 price drop, 50$ - Jul 28, 2007 04:13

There' s going to be a price cut. That' s a given.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll