Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 47
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 16, 2007 17:08
August - Madden NFL
September - Halo 3
October - Grand Theft Auto IV

Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 00:47
The Wii' s gonna keep selling. Since when has the mass market cared if the games they' re playing are good or not? If they can' t beat a level, it' s because it' s hard, not because there' s poor map design or crappy hit-detection.

With that said, sony is going to pull itself out of the hole in the next 12-16 months, ala PS2. These exact discussions went on five years ago with the PS2. It' s too expensive! There' s another console with better graphics! There' s not enough games! Why would we want DVDs?!

Think about it.
Terrak

• Total Posts : 783
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 09:41

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

With that said, sony is going to pull itself out of the hole in the next 12-16 months, ala PS2.

I' m guessing your being sarcastic?

its funny how a thread on ps3 turned into a Wii bashing excercise started by a 360 fanboy (started the bashing).[:' (
< Message edited by Terrak -- 17 May 07 3:44:47 >
Terrak

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 10:23

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost
Hence the reason I say it' s(the Wii) inferior.

Hmm lets see, ps1 & ps2 and DS are considered inferior to their rivals and look what happened. Having the inferior console has never been an impediment to establishing Market Share, and whether you wish to admit it or not THAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF A CONSOLE. You always make it sound like Nintendo could never have made a powerful console, but they could have. Except as trends have pointed out power has never equaled market share. I look at it as a good business decision.

Wii has almost nothing going for it over the other two.

Yes it does, price and the fact that it offers something unique - The Wiimote. The Wiimote allowed the Wii to appeal to more then the hardcore crowd, and as the ps1 & ps2 have shown the ' winner' of the console war is determined by the casual gamer not the hardcore.

Just a few exlusives and a lower price.

yep just a few exclusives and its outselling all next gen consoles WW. Even 360s nor ps3s large library of exclusives have made a dent on the Wiis sales. Funny that isn' t it. Imagine when the real Wii games hit.

The wiimote is meaningless,

you keep telling yourself that if you wish, in the meantime its responsible for the Wiis unprecedented success. Or haven' t you noticed?

online on Wii is shit,

That will change shortly, but currently the Wiis online is not up to scratch

the quality of the games (technical merit) is 5 years behind the 360/PS3.

Well the games on Wii sell regardless. Is technical merit the most important factor when selling a game? No it isn' t. Maybe to you and others here but no the the majority of gamers targeted by the Wii. Sure the graphics are nothing to brag about, primarily because the majority of games are still ps2 ports, but looking at current sales trends its lack of power has done nothing to slow sales of the Wii, and as you know in the console market install base is EVERYTHING.

Wii is a rip off even at it' s price.

Thanks for your opinion, being a 360 fan and all.

Wii' s popularity is a testiment to how little people care about what they buy.

get over it. There are many things in this world that seem unfair but thats life. You can' t force something that the market doesn' t want. If HD isn' t currently what the market wants then thats what the market wants. Theres no point in complaining about it. Nintendo took a gamble and it paid off.

I don' t see how some people can tollerate that with consoles when the competition is of vastly better quality along with more/better games.

If that were the case people should all go to PC gaming because it has (technically) better games?

Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 15:35

Wii has best gameplay and old titles being released on the console.

All three consoles have backwards compatibility. I would argue that the Wii does not have the best gameplay either. How can it have better gameplay when it has no games? Hence the reason I say it' s inferior. Wii has almost nothing going for it over the other two. Just a few exlusives and a lower price. The wiimote is meaningless, online on Wii is shit, the quality of the games (technical merit) is 5 years behind the 360/PS3. Wii is a rip off even at it' s price. If my gaming computer was five years old I' d throw it in the trash. Wii' s popularity is a testiment to how little people care about what they buy. I don' t see how some people can tollerate that with consoles when the competition is of vastly better quality along with more/better games.

I' d have to disagree with you, my friend. The Wii is fun, bottom line. I had a blast with the game " Trauma Center" and my friend Todd and I played the HELL out of " Excite Truck" . Also Wii Sports and Wii Play are awesome to play with people who don' t normally play video games! I' ve had four girls (one of which HATES video games) and several guys from work over, and they all had a BLAST! Oh yeah, Paper Mario OWNS!

Bottom line; in my circle of friends, we all have the Wii60 combo. I don' t even know anybody who has a PS3! I' ve been thinkin' about getting one just so we can all try it out! Oh, and for some Blu-ray movie lovin' !
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 15:49

the Wii60 combo

Fuck people who subscribe to being such closeminded gamers, fuck people who use the term, and fuck anyone who can' t see the individual merit in each of the 3 consoles.
Chee Saw

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 17, 2007 16:23

ORIGINAL: Dagashi

*** people who subscribe to being such closeminded gamers, *** people who use the term, and *** anyone who can' t see the individual merit in each of the 3 consoles.

Are you saying I' m a close-minded gamer? Because I said Wii60? I don' t get it?
The PS3 has 2 interesting looking games (though poorly reviewed) and costs $600!! Where' s the merit in THAT!

My friends think I' m crazy because I even MENTIONED buying one of those things! The only reason I might is because I' ve made about $5000 spendable cash over the last month, and I wouldn' t really miss the $600. Now that they' ve fixed up their video codec issues for their Blu-ray movies, it' s at least a good movie machine, and has some titles I' m interested in. As a game machine, it' s STILL garbage!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 04:21

I' d have to disagree with you, my friend. The Wii is fun, bottom line. I had a blast with the game " Trauma Center" and my friend Todd and I played the HELL out of " Excite Truck" . Also Wii Sports and Wii Play are awesome to play with people who don' t normally play video games! I' ve had four girls (one of which HATES video games) and several guys from work over, and they all had a BLAST! Oh yeah, Paper Mario OWNS!

Bottom line; in my circle of friends, we all have the Wii60 combo. I don' t even know anybody who has a PS3! I' ve been thinkin' about getting one just so we can all try it out! Oh, and for some Blu-ray movie lovin' !

I never said the Wii isn' t fun, I intend on buying one when SSB:B is out. I just can' t see how anyone can be having more fun with it over a 360 especially with the anemic library Wii has at this time. It seems impossible, granted the Wii does have that unique controller so it has something that we never seen before but it' s still just a controller. Eventually I' ll own all three consoles but if I could only pick one Wii would be a distant third.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 04:47

With that said, sony is going to pull itself out of the hole in the next 12-16 months, ala PS2. These exact discussions went on five years ago with the PS2.

I' m beginning to feel not so sure about this scenario. For one thing, I think that even with a somewhat slow start, the PS2 came out of the gate with more force than the PS3 has. I think this upcoming holiday season is going to either make or break the PS3 for good, and I' m beginning to wonder if we' re going to see it go the way of the 3DO... a machine with a few interesting games that can' t build up the market share to make developers feel confident about it.

Another possible scenario is that we' re seeing the console market fragmenting in an unprecedented way, with radically different sales figures for each console in Japan, North America and Europe. Now that would be a headache for developers and publishers to navigate.
Dagashi

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 05:51

As a game machine, it' s STILL garbage!

So the Wii is better how exactly?

I hate comparing systems, but if you are going to say the ps3 is crap, and the wii is great, then I pretty much have to.

Any 3rd party game that is available for the ps3 and the Wii, is better on the ps3(so far, and in the foreseeable future).

Excite Truck for Wii. Motorstorm for PS3. I think its clear which is better.

CoD3 for wii, or CoD3 for ps3. Heck, the wii CoD doesn' t even have online, the best part of the game.

Resistance blows away any FPS the Wii has.

If you don' t have a higher end PC, then ps3 has Oblivion, which ratings wise, is comparable to Zelda.

On ps3 for fighting games you get Tekken 5 DR, and Virtua Fighter 5. The wii............Street Fighter 2, a game I have in my closet with my SNES. Add the fact that the ps3 and 360 are getting a Street Fighter 2 Turbo game with new artwork in 1080p for the basically same price as Virtual Console later this year.......

Then you have all the sports games that the ps3 and 360 have, which are easily better than any on the Wii.

So, the ps3 has as many great games(at least) as the Wii, and more good games from 3rd party devs. So, how can it suck, yet the Wii is great?

Are you saying I' m a close-minded gamer? Because I said Wii60?

In my experience, anyone who says that, is close minded and naive.

The PS3 has 2 interesting looking games (though poorly reviewed)

What games would those be?
Agent Ghost

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 07:02
" Hmm lets see, ps1 & ps2 and DS are considered inferior to their rivals and look what happened."

Terrak you' re killing me. The PS1,PS2 and DS were all not one generation behind tech wise. These consoles were all within the same ballpart as their direct competition. I don' t think you realise just how weak the Wii is compared to the other two. Wii is actually much closer to an Xbox than a 360. Infact an Xbox even has technical advantages over Wii. Such as support for programmable shaders.

Comparing PS1->N64 or PS2->Xbox/GC is not the same as Wii->PS3/360.

A more accurate analogy would be comparing an overclocked N64->Xbox/PS2. That is what the Wii looks like when compared to the 360 and PS3 technically. Wii literally has the same GPU and almost the same CPU that GC had, they' re just overclocked with a bit more ram thrown in. I' ve said this many times but Wii only has 88mb of total RAM, on top of that it' s also extremely slow ram. Even though the CPU and GPU in Wii are both very weak, they' re still going to be starved for memory bandwidth/space.

I can' t stress how cheap I feel Nintendo has been with all of this, esspecially the RAM. I would consider the bare minimum to be 256mb not 88mb. In the year 2007 the specs for Wii are completely unacceptable. On top of everything else the memory configuration in Wii is almost criminal.

I' m not kidding when I say that 2-3 years from now we' ll have Cellphones with more proccessing power than a Wii. Cellphones will have better graphics than a Wii in three years.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 07:45

So the Wii is better how exactly?

I think he is comparing the console exclusives, which neither console really has.

In my experience, anyone who says that, is close minded and naive.

Just because they prefer 360 and wii doesnt mean they' re close minded at all. It just means thats their favorite 2 systems, it doesnt mean they dont like the ps3. You do have to look at it like this. PS3 isnt getting a whole lot of exclusives for a while, where as the 360 has a few already and getting around 10ish this year and the wii is getting a few exclusives this year as well.
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 09:05
Alright then children, back on topic if you please.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

With that said, sony is going to pull itself out of the hole in the next 12-16 months, ala PS2.

I' m guessing your being sarcastic?

Nope. PS2 blew for almost a year & a half until they got a couple amazing games. PS2 sold marvelously at launch, with shortages raising demand. PS2' s pricepoint was also uber-high for the times as well if you remember.

They' ve got a plethora of great exclusives hitting this year and next (check the Sony Games Day thread for examples) and there' s no reason that with a price-drop and exclusives that it won' t sell wonderfully.
Terrak

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 11:06

Terrak you' re killing me. The PS1,PS2 and DS were all not one generation behind tech wise. These consoles were all within the same ballpart as their direct competition. I don' t think you realise just how weak the Wii is compared to the other two. Wii is actually much closer to an Xbox than a 360. Infact an Xbox even has technical advantages over Wii. Such as support for programmable shaders.

Comparing PS1->N64 or PS2->Xbox/GC is not the same as Wii->PS3/360.

A more accurate analogy would be comparing an overclocked N64->Xbox/PS2. That is what the Wii looks like when compared to the 360 and PS3 technically. Wii literally has the same GPU and almost the same CPU that GC had, they' re just overclocked with a bit more ram thrown in. I' ve said this many times but Wii only has 88mb of total RAM, on top of that it' s also extremely slow ram. Even though the CPU and GPU in Wii are both very weak, they' re still going to be starved for memory bandwidth/space.

I can' t stress how cheap I feel Nintendo has been with all of this, esspecially the RAM. I would consider the bare minimum to be 256mb not 88mb. In the year 2007 the specs for Wii are completely unacceptable. On top of everything else the memory configuration in Wii is almost criminal.

I' m not kidding when I say that 2-3 years from now we' ll have Cellphones with more proccessing power than a Wii. Cellphones will have better graphics than a Wii in three years.

Aha!! So very true there Agent, so very true. The descrepency between the Wii and the 360/ps3 is much larger then the ps2 & the GC/xbox!! Took you long enough to bring this point out.

You should have realised that you are not the target market for the Wii. The 360 and ps3 more then adequately cater for that market (hardcore). So why would you want Nintendo to make a console that targets a market that is already well covered?

Try to put things in perspective. Besides like my post highlights the graphics on Wii has done little to slow it down -

http://forums.kikizo.com/tm.asp?m=103072&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1

And the ps2s continued success over the 360 & ps3 (not combined) shows that the consumer just ain' t ready for HD yet, and the fact that a visually inferior console can still hold there own against visually superior consoles. 6 + years old and still can outsell all HD capable consoles. I can' t see that changing for while yet. The ps2 has some legs on it. The Wii has the potential to emulate the ps2 success. It has already shown casual/non gamer appeal. Is affordable and in a stylish package and has simple and easy to play games thanks to the Wiimote interface. All it needs now is some compelling software (AAA exclusives) and its gonna really take off.
Terrak

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 11:14
If the ps2s price point was ' uber high'

how would you describe ps3 price point, being double ps2 ' uber high' price?

the situation is alot different now. The ps3 has 2 strong competitors (instead of one weak competitor in Sega Dreamcast) and is one of the last to launch. It has no territory it can call its own (not Japan, the US or Europe) and no indications of this changing anytime soon. I seriously don' t think the ps2 senario can be applied to the ps3. But stranger things have happened, a significant price drop and some AAA exclusives might shift the balance, but from the looks of things i wouldn' t hold my breathe.
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 11:39

So why would you want Nintendo to make a console that targets a market that is already well covered?

Maybe so people that arent 5 and under or 50 and above can enjoy nintendo consoles as well?
Dagashi

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 16:09

PS3 isnt getting a whole lot of exclusives for a while, where as the 360 has a few already and getting around 10ish this year and the wii is getting a few exclusives this year as well.

That whole sentence doesn' t make sense. You first say the ps3 won' t have more exclusive for a while, but then talk about what the 360 and Wii will have in the rest of the year.

If we are going by the year, the ps3 gets - Lair, Heavenly Sword, LittleBigPlanet!, Warhawk, MGS(possibly), Ratchet and Clank: Future Tools, Ninja Gaiden Sigma(I know its somewhat of a rehash, but its the best one out there) some others I can' t think of, as well as Home.

The 360 also has more exclusives, but for me, it has about the same amount as the ps3 that I look forward to. Mass Effect, Forza 2, Bioshock(if I don' t upgrade my PC first) etc.

Then we have the Wii which has a couple Nintendo games I look forward to.

Add in the fact that the 360 and the ps3 will have HL2 Orange Box, Assasins Creed, Capcom titles, The Darkness, Tom Clancy games, GTA4, etc.

When the ps3 and the 360 have more great exclusives than the wii, along with way more great third party titles coming, there is no way any real gamer can tell me the Wii has more to offer, especially considering it has no online multiplayer.
Chee Saw

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 18, 2007 19:23
Dagashi, I' m not saying the Wii is great. What I' m saying is that the combination of me owning a 360 and a Wii makes the PS3 inconsequential. Hell, if I had to forgo all other systems this gen and JUST have a Wii, I' d kill myself!

Basically the 360 has all the games I like and the ones that aren' t exclusives are just as good, if not better, than the same games on the other two systems. The Wii is an interesting diversion, every now and again, and I' ve had a lot of fun playing it with friends. Only exclusive games could compel me to buy a PS3, and the only ones that I would buy right now are Resistance: Fall of Man and Motorstorm.

That being said, the PS3 does have some interesting games on the horizon, but I don' t shell out $600+ for potential.

Also, if I owned a PS3 and a Wii, I' d have to call it a Pii. That' s SO not cool!
Agent Ghost

RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 19, 2007 06:40
Terrak you make it sound like the 360 is absurdly priced, 360 is not much more expensive than a Wii. It' s not just the console, with accessories and games, Wii can still cost a person a fair amount of change in the next few years. Eventually I think we' re going to see Wiis stock issue solve itself when we start to see more used Wii' s sitting on the shelves of EBgames.

I love how you twisted things around though, talking about target marketshare. I never said Nintendo made a bad buisness decision, infact I' m positive they will make far more money with Wii than MS and Sony combined with their consoles. I' m someone who is likely to buy all major consoles each generation. So I am in the " target market" and I don' t like what I see with the Wii. Even the people who are in the so called marketshare and buy a Wii are being ripped off. They just don' t know it. People buying a Wii are throwing their money away on a console that was obsolete five years ago. I don' t even think Wii deserves the title of " console" , it' s more like a gaming novelty. Maybe it' s just a knick knack. I was calling it Gimp, but I think Knick Knack is more suitable for Wii.

Do you know what a knick knack is Terrak? It' s just a cheap ornament. A dust collector that people sometimes buy if they' re shopping while high. A kick knack is an impulse buy because it was cheap, it was shelved at eye level and it looked pretty in the store.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: Report: Sony facing massive PS3 losses - May 19, 2007 06:53
Agent we all know you dont support the Wii is Inovation argument, but it is a games console.

Regardless of crippled hardware and gimped controls, it is not to be dismissed.
Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 21 to 40 of 47

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message