Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Reading
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
Reading - Jan 05, 2007 18:11
Do you enjoy reading and if so, what authors do you most enjoy? Myself? I find reading to be one of the best pastimes coming second to only playing games. I' m partial to James Patterson(enjoyed Judge and Jury recently) Stephen King (Cell is fantastic, I love King' s take on Zombies) and Dean Koontz novels.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Reading - Jan 05, 2007 18:17
I like Dr. Seuss.

However I think Tom Clancy should die. He sucks ass. I wish he never existed. Can you imagine how much better the world would have been if he had never been born? No lame-ass Tom Clancy Xbox games, either. Every author is better than Tom Clancy.
fernandino

• Total Posts : 661
RE: Reading - Jan 05, 2007 18:56
I love reading, and i mean really really love, like the way u love a georgeus naked chick, right now im stuked reading a guy named Reinhart Koselleck whoby the way its kind of boring but i do love to read

my favorite book of all time its " El ingenioso hidalgo Don Quijote de la Mancha" from the mind of Muguel de Servantes Saavedra, el Quijote its so charming and naive it goes beyond words.

I love the way Charles Dickens writes, i mean, its like a warm ray of morning sun in a cold winter

Eneida from Virgil its so amazing

Dante can go from the most dreadfull and terrible " Per mi se va na li cita dolente, per mi tsi va na li eterno dolore, per mit si va a la perduta gente, jiustitcia mottse il mio alto fattore,facemi la divina potestati, la somma sapiensa, il primo amore, voche so intrati"

to the most inocent and naive... " La vitta nove dil mundo dissperta con visstro suspiro"

Plutarco and Tito Livio are some ofmy favorites as well, and if im talking about the classic how could someone forget Herodoto and Tucidides.

books are the greates of all entertainments.

i even fucking enjoyed reading Harry Potter for my little sis for fucks sakes
< Message edited by fernandino -- 5 Jan 07 11:03:17 >
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Reading - Jan 06, 2007 04:08
Yeah, I don' t read enough although I got Neail Gaiman' s Neverwhere for Christmas, and read that for 4 hours last night while my g/f watched the TV. I' m really enjoying it, so much so that I took it into work today and forgot to bring it home so I won' t be finishing it this weekend. :(

Favourite authors are:

Stephen King
Terry Pratchet
Alaistar Gray

Other than that I pick up any fantasy and SciFi books that catch my eye. Going to get the Halo books as most folks round here who read them enjoyed them!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Reading - Jan 06, 2007 04:19
I love reading but I' m too cheap and lazy to buy books lately. My favorite by far and I' ve mentioned this before is the " Hitchiker' s Guide to the Galaxy" a Trilogy in Five parts.

Most hilarious books ever written, nothing even comes close.
nekkid_monkey

• Total Posts : 818
RE: Reading - Jan 06, 2007 10:09
I love reading.

My " real" reading started out with Asimov as a kid. I' ve read pretty much everything in the bookstores with the names Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman on it.
I' ve always liked fantasy, so that' s mostly what I read. Robin Hobb is my latest obsession. I' ve made it through everything she' s written under that name, and i can' t wait for the final novel in the latest series to be published.
Anne McCaffrey is awesome.
Orson Scott Card is brilliant.
I hate Melanie Rawn with a passion.

Wish I knew italian, so i could read Dante in the original. Longfellow' s translation is pretty damn great though.

Question for the readers out there: are the Halo novels REALLY worth reading? I love the Halo games, and I' m interested in the backstory, but I' m hesitant to pick up the novels because a bad book would really ruin the whole series for me.
< Message edited by nekkid_monkey -- 6 Jan 07 2:12:00 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Reading - Jan 06, 2007 10:19
I like the Halo books, in terms of story they are much better than the games. I read the first three and I just bought the fourth that came out not too long ago. I haven' t read the last one yet but the first three are worth the purchase and well worth the read.

The books give a new perspective. They really show you just how desperately the humans are losing against the coveneant.

I don' t want to spoil too much, but I would reccomend them to anyone who likes the games. Actually after reading the books I had an even greater appreciation for the games.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Reading - Jan 07, 2007 04:52

Orson Scott Card is brilliant.

Agreed.
Die_Hounderdoggen

• Total Posts : 275
RE: Reading - Jan 07, 2007 05:41
I' ve been wading through a compilation of Franz Kafka' s stuff lately. Weirdest dreams I' ve ever had...
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Reading - Jan 07, 2007 06:16
Got into reading with the davinci code, and read all dan brown' s books then the never ending story and after moved onto stephen king, read the shining, misery, IT (personal favourite book which i doubt i' ll find anything better, and i' ve just started the stand: complete uncut edition, but ive not been in too much of a reading mood lately.
Calintz

• Total Posts : 321
RE: Reading - Jan 07, 2007 18:35

and i' ve just started the stand: complete uncut edition

The stand is absolutely fantastic, a true masterpiece of literature and certainly one of the best books I' ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I was so utterly enthralled with it that I simply couldn' t put it down. I hope you enjoy it a much as I did
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: Reading - Jan 08, 2007 00:02
Yup the stand was great, but the movioe-come-TV series was rubbish. I really like Misery the movie but thought the book was crap. Obviuosly the Shining is great both as a book and a movie.

I recommend 4 Seasons by King, which is 4 stories and 3 of them were films you' ve probably seen - Stand By Me (called The Body in the book), Apt Pupil (great film with Ian McEllan as the elderly Nazi war criminal) and The Shawshank Redeption (called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption in the book).
uumai

• Total Posts : 1363
RE: Reading - Jan 08, 2007 00:26
glad to hear the stand is good, had not been in the mood lately to read it, i' ll get to it though. Did none of you read IT? i cant imagine liking something more than that book.

I thought the misery film was awful after reading the book, though the book within misery was the most boring stuff ive had to read through.

Anyone read or watch never ending sory?? loved the film, and the book was really nice. nice to get some reccomendations on books, especially from any of you who loved IT like i do.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll