Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Official PSP thread (launched!)
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34
mxpx182

• Total Posts : 1394
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 07:25
It did sell those units (the 575000 or so), but unfortuanely sales have really dropped off, with the majority of the sales all in the first 2 or 3 days. I hope it does succeed on equal playing ground with the DS/GBA just so they provide some real competition for Nintendo, but I have a feeling it won' t unless they do a major overhaul on the price. The reason I' m saying this is that Sony has admitted full out that this device is aimed at the 18-35 year olds, not the 12 year olds. Problem with this is that except for the hardcore gamers, most 18-35 year olds don' t want to be seen playing video games in the supermarket/bus-stop/park bench. they' re too busy, and have other things to do, they have their game console at home. 12 year olds on the other hand care nothing for women, nothing for jobs, and simply want to play games ALL the time. I think if a handheld really wants to dominate it has to target the 12 year old market simply because they are the ones who want it and will use it.
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 09:12
With the multimedia features of the PSP, Sony has crafted a handheld that even uptight, self-conscious adults can play out in public without worrying too much about how others see them, lol.. They can watch movies or listen to music when around others, and when noone' s looking they can play games, LOL..

That' s kinda sad, actually pretty sad when they have to hide their hobbies, lol..
the.ben

• Total Posts : 324
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 09:30
http://www.nintendospin.com/article776.aspx

...and that' s all i have read about that.
mxpx182

RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 10:09

That' s kinda sad, actually pretty sad when they have to hide their hobbies, lol..

I' m not saying it' s right, but I' m just saying how it goes. You are not going to see flocks of 22 year old males sitting out playing their PSP' s on the beach, or in a park with a bunch of 22 year old honies walking around. They will sell there PSP for 5 minutes with one of those girls!

As for the whole multimedia thing, I' ve expressed what I think of that before. Pay 30 bucks to watch 3 inch movie in stereo, or 20 bucks to watch it on huge tv is 6.1 surround (which a lot of 18-35 males have). Maybe if they would' ve stuck a cell phone and an electric razor on one end it would do better
Terry Bogard

• Total Posts : 3915
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 11:13
The appeal of the 3 inch movie screen however is of course portability. You can' t drag your huge screen TV with surround sound on a bus or plane to watch movies on.. Which I' ll be doing alot of with the PSP come that long a$$ flight to E3 :D..

But Sony did screw the pooch on the pricing of UMD movies it seems.. $20-$30 is NOT appealing in any way shape or form for UMD movies which are inferior to your average DVDs in terms of quality as well as content. Luckily there' s also the memory stick movie viewing option..

I feel depending on the age of the movies, $7.99-$14.99 would have been the sweet spot for UMD movies.
residentevil327

• Total Posts : 406
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 16:06
wouldnt it be great to ahve wwe smackdown game and a final fantasy game on the psp
Fragus_Maximus

• Total Posts : 156
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 16:47
Multiplayer Final Fantasy would RULE...especialy with WIFI
Sixteen_Bit

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 19:58

ORIGINAL: Fragus_Maximus

Multiplayer Final Fantasy would RULE...especialy with WIFI

Nintendo DS is comming out with Final Fantasy Chronicals..
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 04, 2005 21:25

ORIGINAL: Sixteen_Bit
Nintendo DS is comming out with Final Fantasy Chronicals..

DS actually has a few strong titles coming to in with online capabilities...

Animal Crossing
Pro Evolution Soccer!
Metroid Prime Hunters
Mario Kart DS

And lots more I think you will see...
Fragus_Maximus

• Total Posts : 156
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 05, 2005 19:42
Ya but that was the only good part about Crystal Chronicals, multiplayer. And that was only good because you could run away with the chalice and leave ure buddies to die!!!
Sixteen_Bit

• Total Posts : 14
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 05, 2005 22:48
Yup and don' t forget about the awsome Castlevania DS
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 13, 2005 15:15
Well I finally played a PSP today at a friend' s house. I had never even seen one in real life before today. The thing is TINY! Someone should really take a picture of a PSP sitting next to an Atari Lynx (especially the first one). Anyway because it was so tiny, the screen was not as " in my face" as the media leads you to believe. It was nice and wide, but I was expecting a big screen. The PSP has a very small screen. It seems bigger than it is because there is not much framing it.

The only games he had were Darkstalkers and Wipeout. Darkstalkers supposedly had all 3 versions on the disc (Darkstalkers, Nightwarriors, and Vampire Savior). It does not. It may have the moves from the other games, but all of the graphics and music are pure Vampire Savior, unfortunately. Got bored quckly since it didn' t look near as good as the Saturn version which I own, so I turned it off and put in the Wipeout disc. I then turned the PSP back on and Darkstalkers started playing from the point at which I turned the system off. How gay is that? Anyway I finally got Wipeout to boot and Wipeout controls just as crappily as it always has (very floaty). It was smooth, but boring.

As I was playing, the disc popped open many times. I did not twist the unit. I wasn' t even grasping it firmly, and my fingers were nowhere near the eject button. The disc didn' t go flying out and kill anyone, but it was still annoying. The sound from the unit sucks ass. There is no stereo effect at all. In order to get decent sound, you MUST wear headphones. That truly sucks because most headphones are uncomfortable and I don' t like wearing them for extended periods of time. The DS beats the crap out of the PSP in the sound department. The games all took a very, very long time to load. This truly is unacceptable for a handheld system. Even the discs themselves are not as well designed as MiniDisc cases (no sliding cover to protect the disc). The video quality of the Spiderman 2 movie looked good, but you could tell that the movie was still crap.

Bottom line: The design of the PSP is extremely flawed, and Sony is too arrogant to admit it. They say nobody should dare complain about " the most beautiful thing in the world" .

My rating: While I bet Ridge Racer is a great game, I have to give the system itself a big Thumbs down. I am now very glad I didn' t buy one, even though there are still hundreds available at Wal Mart and I can easily afford it (still too expensive for what it is).
mxpx182

RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 14, 2005 07:22
Thanks for the point of view on the PSP joe, and unlik you I was not getting one regardless of the fact that I CAN' T afford one! I can' t believe they didn' t fix the whole disc flying out of the unit problem. I mean If I bought a DVD player brought it home, and half way through the movie it just popped out, I wouldn' t say " Hey, I guess there' s just some things you have to live with" NO, that thing would be taken back to Wal-Mart before I ate my next meal.
dismiss

• Total Posts : 90
RE: Official PSP thread (launched!) - Apr 19, 2005 08:58
I absolutely loved Darkstalkers (at last, a decent handheld BEU!), Wipeout (thankfully it plays more like the first one) and Ridge Racer, can' t wait to get my hands on a psp come european launch time. The loading times on Darkstalkers are a cause for concern, but I suppose they will only get shorter as developers get more familiar with the system. That said, I refuse to buy this on import, there' s no knowing what regional and technical problems may arise over time with earlier models. For the time being, I' m content playing mario ds and waiting for Castlevania DS. Oh, and Day of the Tentacle on my p910 is ace too!
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message