Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 07:39
Well folks... there you have it.

Following Warner' s lead, sister company New Line has confirmed that it will support Blu-ray Disc high def releases exclusively. New Line has previously delayed their day-and-date new releases on HD DVD due to the format' s lack of region coding, effectively making titles such as Shoot ' em Up, Hairspray, and Rush Hour 3 exclusive to Blu-ray.

Discuss.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 07:41
You think we' ll see some kind of domino effect now?
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 07:51
HD-DVD cancelled their CES showing. GAME OVER!

Lord of the Rings in HD might be worth picking up.

I' m relieved this HD-DVD nonsense is over with. I can' t believe some people supported a dying format. Putting capacity aside, BD has DOUBLE the potential transfer speeds as HD-DVD. HD-DVD never had a flying chance in hell. In terms of technical prowess HD-DVD stands halfway in between BD and DVD. It wasn' t even a worthy competitior.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 5 Jan 08 18:54:10 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 07:52
Absolutely.

This namby-pamby playing both sides of the fence crap is going to stop. The cards are going to hit the table, and people are going to finally take sides. The timetable for a leading format has been moved forward drastically in the last 24 hours, without notice, and unless HDDVD has some as-of-yet-predicted ace-in-the-hole, they' re down for the count.
< Message edited by eddie_the_hated -- 5 Jan 08 23:59:23 >
Majik

• Total Posts : 374
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 07:56
There' s no taking sides now... it' s all over.

HD-DVD is dead in the water.
< Message edited by majik -- 5 Jan 08 23:57:38 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 08:10
While likely, I don' t think it' s that clear cut yet. They' re going to die of course, but it certainly won' t be tomorrow.

Warner Bros will still support HDDVD releases up until the first of June, though with later release dates than their Blu-Ray and DVD counterparts.

" Businesswire-

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008. "
Torr

• Total Posts : 554
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 17:14
The biggest reason why this hasn' t been decided yet is the lack o f interest from consumers, as a whole people don' t have high-def yet and people are still buying regular DVDs. I really hope they finish this up soon and I could really care less who wins as long as it gets cheaper(like HDTVs are).

Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 21:47

Soon after the announcement of Warner Bros. supporting Blu-ray exclusively, subsidiary studio New Line Cinema stated it will follow suit and join Warner Bros. in leaving HD-DVD.

Now even though both these studios are moving to Blu-ray only, New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. are still under contract to release titles on HD-DVD until May 2008.

For those of you with stand-alone Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3' s, you can now look forward to the following releases:

- Lord of the Rings Trilogy
- Golden Compass
- Gears of War (Movie)
- Austin Powers

More on Blu-ray and its rising domination of the HD movie market soon.

Expected since Wb own Hbo and New Line so they would follow suit.

Sopranos BluRay FTW!
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 06, 2008 22:08

For those of you with stand-alone Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3' s, you can now look forward to the following releases:

- Golden Compass

Ok, I don' t care whether you liked the books or not, nobody should be looking forward to that movie in HD, or any other format for that matter.

Heh... " an ahmerd beah" .
Agent Ghost

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 07, 2008 12:56

Ok, I don' t care whether you liked the books or not, nobody should be looking forward to that movie in HD, or any other format for that matter.

I' ve heard there' s a lot of undertones making fun of religion. Looks like my kind of movie.
Chimura

• Total Posts : 1123
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 07, 2008 13:51

I' ve heard there' s a lot of undertones making fun of religion. Looks like my kind of movie.

There was even an anti-golden compass group on facebook, saying that it would pollute the minds of young children with wrong ideas.
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 07, 2008 16:57
Don' t we already have religion for that?
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 07, 2008 18:41

ORIGINAL: Joe Redifer

Don' t we already have religion for that?

Catholicism?
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 08, 2008 17:45
Look like Paramount are dropping HD

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/08/paramount_poised_to_drop_hd_dvd/

This isn' t official but there must be something in it if they had a clause to drop HD DVD if WB went for BR.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 08, 2008 19:35
This sums up the movie better than any way I could describe it.

Catholicism?

They wouldn' t tell you not to go see the movie. They' d tell you to do what your conscience dictated, and then made sure you felt reaaaaallly guilty about it afterwards.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 09, 2008 03:40
Actually reading the books sums up the story way better than anyone, or the movies, can describe it! They are an interesting read, similarly epic in scope to the Lord of the Rings trilogy but with more of a serious and saddening tone. I think it' s fair to say that they have an anti-institutionalized-religion message... as in giant religions that become political and military machines. But there is also a subtle tone in them that indicates that " eating from the tree of knowledge" is not a sin, it is what makes us human and free.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 09, 2008 04:14
I can' t comment on the books. I' ve never read them (never gotten past the first 5 pages of the Golden Compass. I just couldn' t get into it I guess).

I' m just making an observation about how bad the movie was.
Agent Ghost

RE: New-Line Follows WB - BLU-RAY Exclusivity! - Jan 09, 2008 12:16
HD-DVD only has Paramount and Universal as exclusives left. They will leave, even if they have to break a contract. Even WB have apparently broken their contract.

I' ve been rooting and expecting BD to win for a while now but months ago I called it the other way mostly due to the price advantage HD-DVD had over Blu-ray. So I tip my hat to Emofag who made the correct prediction months ago. It looks like consumers aren' t as dumb as I thought.

EDIT: It looks like Universal and Paramount are already looking to make the switch.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 9 Jan 08 22:54:39 >

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread