Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin! - Jun 18, 2006 23:05

Last year we posted an article that the PS3 would use the next-gen
High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
to support HD video output.
HDMI, for the uninitated, is an industry-supported, uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface. HDMI interfaces between any compatible digital audio/video source (e.g. PS3) and a compatible digital audio and/or video monitor.
HDMI, according to industry analysts, is set to replace the Digital Visual Interface (DVI) in consumer electronics products by 2008.

At last week' s Computex 2006, new info on HDMI finally emerged with a " But
" and a " However." The HDMI group, composed of several companies, announced that the HDMI 1.2 will be upgraded to a new version called HDMI 1.3.

The HDMI 1.2 specifications are:

Support for One Bit Audio format, such as SuperAudio CD' s DSD (Direct Stream Digital)
Changes to offer better support for current and future PCs with HDMI outputs, including:
Availability of the widely-used HDMI Type A connector for PC sources and displays with full support for PC video formats
Ability for PC sources to use their native RGB color-space while retaining the option to support the YCbCr CE color-space
Requirement for HDMI 1.2 and later displays to support future low-voltage (i.e., AC-coupled) sources, such as those based on PCI Express I/O technology

Meanwhile HDMI 1.3 will support a feature called " deep color" that allows devices to process and display a great number of colors. In addition, its bandwidth will be upgraded from 165MHz to 225MHz (but can go up to 450MHz if necessary). The increased bandwidth enables displays to handle 1080i at 60Hz with 36-bit RGB color or 1080p with 90Hz refresh rate with 36-bit color. The new HDMI 1.3 will also support Dolby HD and DTS-HD audio standards (v1.2 only supports Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS standards). Nice, huh?

Here comes the " But..."

Unfortunately for early adopters of the HDMI 1.2 - including the PS3 (which already supports " deep color" ) - the new features of HDMI 1.3 cannot be enabled by either firmware or driver upgrades. While both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD specifications call for support of " deep color," they have yet to release any statement indicating support for it or any feature of HDMI 1.3.

Here comes the " However..."

The HDMI Group said ATI and NVIDIA can readily incorporate the new HDMI 1.3 standard into GPUs and cards.

http://ps3.qj.net/

So, early adopters will be missing out again as the features found in HDMI 1.3 won' t be available to them and can' t be updated via firmware or drivers.

1.3 will also be supporting Dolby HD and DTS-HD for those of you that care about that kind of thing (joe).

The thing si, if you decide to wait, then whp' s to say the situation won' t be the same further down the road when a better standard comes along?
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin! - Jun 19, 2006 02:27
I' ve always felt that if you' re an early adopter this is the kind of thing you should expect.
If you always want the newest technology then you have to be prepared to keep upgrading and buying stuff all the time.
That' s why I' m not that much for the absolutely latest technology.
Just imagine the poor people who bought a normal 32" flat screen about five years ago and now it' s nothing compared to the HDTV' s.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin! - Jun 19, 2006 05:04
and imagine those 1080p 60 inch SED Hdtv' s in 5 years time...

I just cant, becuase hdtv' s will still be becoming the norm, even then.
Game Junkie

• Total Posts : 708
RE: New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin! - Jun 19, 2006 07:57
Who here actually uses HDMI? I don' t, and since the 360 doesn' t even have HDMI I probably won' t be missing it either. I don' t give a fuck what these clowns do with HDMI. They can update it to 1.googleplex and I' ll still be using component, because I don' t have time to wait for these pricks to make up their minds.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: New HDMI standard (1.3) on the way. Early adopters screwed agin! - Jun 19, 2006 22:12
I use HDMI for anything that I can (HD Satellite and DVD with HD-upconversion) because I need the digital signal. I' m not too concerned with advancements in technology; I' m just concerned with the fact that they' re incorporating some kind of " digital handshake" that future HDMI sets must have to take advantage of a high-def signal. Which means that neither one of my HD TVs will work in about 4 to 6 years!

It' s all good, though. I' ll probably be ready for a new set by then anyway (especially if 1080 projectors come down below $3000 by then. Not likely since they' re over $10,000 right now, but you never know.)

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll