Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 47
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 03:44
well this is kind of review but in a very short way, just making points:

+ The atmosphere is excellent, it' s gloomy in a good way and makes rapture comes alive.

+ Great control

+ Great art design

+ Great Story

+ Great sound and voices in everyway, the music makes the mood spot on.

+ longevity is satisfying.

+ the combination of weapons and plasmids makes an arsenal in your hands, it works absolutly well.

BUT

- The graphics while are good lacks variety and suffers technicaly from textures pop in, a plague in games using UE3. There is also some quick pauses in some few part of of the game as if the console is trying to load content from the disc or to be precise, the same effect when your PC is lacking RAM. don' t know if it' s my 360 messing up but this problem was in Gears of war as well.

_ The story is not " THAT" great.

_ The death system was not a very good idea, First because it makes the game very easy, second it makes it less immersif , you don' t care much if you die and other times you do want to die to respawn near the objectif in a second.

_ Later in the game your wrench become useful more than any of your weapons.

_ your character is mute and has no personality.

i' ve been hyped for this game mainly because of the reviews that were skyhigh at the beginning, scoring 99% for a week , starting the game with this score in mind made me feel disapointed. Also comments like those :

This game is unbelievably, unimaginably, uncontestably brilliant!!!

The demo was good but i can see now why the game has gotten so many great reviews. I think this is probably the best game of the generation so far. Everything is perfectly implemented and i can' t think of a single thing i' ve seen so far that i would change. I' ve been completely engrossed for the past couple of hours, the atmosphere in the game simply can' t be described.

I' m in awe.

are over the top ...

The game is Great (AAA) no doubt about it and some elements are truly awesome but for me i don' t think the game is Epic, i mean by that , It doesn' t have the impact of: Resident evil 4, God of war, Final Fantasy 7, metal gear, half life 2, golden eye, mario 64, zelda ocarina of time etc etc... Definitely not in the same league.

My score in gamerankings scale: 91%

Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 05:01
+The graphics are pretty good

+The framerate stays at a solid 30fps and never seems to chug or tear which is highly unusual for an Xbox360 game since the console is so weak. You can turn on screen tearing after you beat it by choosing 60fps, though.

-It' s an FPS. I have little to no tolerance for this genre. It needs to go away.

-Voices sound like they' re right next to you even though they' re behind walls and around corners as a result of piss-poor sound design.
< Message edited by Joe Redifer -- 31 Aug 07 21:02:33 >
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 05:41
The whole atmosphere and ' Doing things well' , or shall i say ' the execution' is what makes Bioshock such a great gaming experience.

Bioshock has come at the right time too, after the over-kill of War-type FPS' s, bioshock is simply refreshing to play and very well designed, so well designed it keep' s us ' craving multiplayer gamers' interested through out the experience.

Theres no real down-side to the game other than the fact its more ' refining' old ideas seen and done before.. theres nothing particuly original about the game, it' s just that it does it soo well..

I would score it:

9 /10

Pros: A truly atmospheric game, that does everything right and better than most FPS out there.

Cons: More of a refinement of previous classic FPS' s, rather than a new breakthrough. This is the only thing stopping it from being a AAA classic.

It' s hard to call any game a new age Sonic 1/ Mario 64 or ETC.. There' certainly some great AAA titles coming our way, but i see them also as refinements rather than breakthroughs. (halo 3, Metriod Prime 3).

IMO (and this aint no bias here).. there' s only 1 title that sets to deliver the whole package, the perfection, the magic thats so unique that theres nothing else out there for it to be compared to:
IMO

ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 06:05
Galaxy? Pff, that' s like Mario 64 but on sphere levels with a little point and click thing you wave around.
I' d say LittleBigPlanet is the new thing!
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 06:27

ORIGINAL: ginjirou

Galaxy? Pff, that' s like Mario 64 but on sphere levels with a little point and click thing you wave around.
I' d say LittleBigPlanet is the new thing!

Bingo.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 07:09
Haters
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 08:51

Galaxy? Pff, that' s like Mario 64 but on sphere levels with a little point and click thing you wave around. Galaxy?

Lol, that is soo narrow.. i really thought you of all people would have more sense than that.. Nintendo always perfect their games to look simply but underneath you' ll find even the very Best devs out there could never come up with such ideas and execution.. NEVER!..

You watch the stream of decent new gen platformers that will borrow elements off Galaxy..

I bet you any money your gonna have the biggest god-dam smile on your face once you start playing it..

BTW, LBP is a great idea, but it' s more experimental and would it make a groundbreaking game that would appeal to everyone??

Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 09:19
I seriously doubt that SMG will manage to beat SM64. Same with Twilight Princess, it' s fun but it is simply lacking the novelty OoT had. (And I believe that' s something MP3 will suffer from, too).
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 09:58
True, but its doubtful that any platformer will ever match SM64, as it was the first great 3D platformer.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 10:17
Bioshock sux,BD>bioshock.
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 16:40

Bioshock sux,BD>bioshock

Just because the Little Sisters scared you, doesn' t mean it sucks.

Anyway, in my opinion Bioshock delivered on all it promised but I think it suffered somewhat from over-exposure. Pretty much displaying most of the tactics and monster behaviors with plasmids and the environment in trailers and developer walkthroughs ended up making the game a little easier for me since I was more in the clear on how to proceed.

I agree that it just doesn' t have that ' instant classic' impact that RE4 and God of War had. It' s about generating tension, and I agree that Bioshock has excellent atmosphere, but I think some of the impact was lost when I knew exactly how the Splicers move and coordinate, or that the Big Daddies can speed up when angered.

I have some issues with the AI, and the fact that despite the developer' s claim you can choose who and what to engage, you pretty much HAVE to fight the Big Daddies to proceed.

All in all though, it' s definitely bang for your buck.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 16:52
Any graphical tearing is due to the 360 being a pussy not the U3 engine, a decent PC can handle the game, no problem.

I' ve only just started playing the game but I can already tell that it' s one of the best games of the year. I agree with Byakko when she said that the game sufferes from over exposure, not over hyped just over exposed. I felt the same way with Oblivion. I would go so far as to say that this game will be a classic, people will remember this one for years.

I' m not sure I would be interested in Bioshock 2 though. They already made the perfect game for what they were trying to do.

" -It' s an FPS. I have little to no tolerance for this genre. It needs to go away."

Because they make you stomach sick?
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 16:56

I felt the same way with Oblivion

I really liked Oblivion when it was released, but in the hindlight its a really poor RPG, it makes people believe its actually a real RPG, when its just a pretty action title.

I really hope Bethesda is looking really close at what Black Isle did, while they are making Fallout 3.

I truly wish Obsidian had the license instead! Or Bioware for that matter, i could wait several more years for a true great sequal.

(how does this mix with Bioshock? Fallout and Bioshock are in retro settings, see this is no longer off topic)
Byakko

• Total Posts : 599
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 16:57

I' m not sure I would be interested in Bioshock 2 though. They already made the perfect game for what they were trying to do.

There are talks about it. Apparently there was a ' zoo level' that they wanted to include in the game, so they' re hoping to include it in Bioshock 2
Joe Redifer

• Total Posts : 4481
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 17:10

Any graphical tearing is due to the 360 being a pussy

Yeah. That' s pretty much what I said.

" -It' s an FPS. I have little to no tolerance for this genre. It needs to go away."

Because they make you stomach sick?

That might be a part of it, but the whole " holding the gun and roaming around while never seeing your character' s face or body" thing never really caught on with me. Oh, and the FPS genre causes my bowels to stir. Curiously, Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii doesn' t make me ill and it doesn' t have the same boredom effects on me that most other FPS games do.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 21:34
I find MP one of the most boring fps I ever played. And I dont like fps that much.
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 21:56

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

Lol, that is soo narrow.. i really thought you of all people would have more sense than that.. Nintendo always perfect their games to look simply but underneath you' ll find even the very Best devs out there could never come up with such ideas and execution.. NEVER!..

One word: Sunshine
Evilkiller

• Total Posts : 660
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 01, 2007 22:14
MP is no FPS.
ys

• Total Posts : 532
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 01:35

+The graphics are pretty good

-It' s an FPS. I have little to no tolerance for this genre. It needs to go away.

-Voices sound like they' re right next to you even though they' re behind walls and around corners as a result of piss-poor sound design.

Graphics are indeed good. Though I didn' t like the way explosions looked. it looked kind of...more amateurish compared to the rest in my opinion.

As for the minus. Well, to be honest, I didn' t like the fact that it was an FPS either actually. I would' ve rather seen this game from a third perspective. To me, being an FPS doesn' t make it more immersive at all. Many games with a third person view are way more immersive than most first person view games. There' s just something about the perspective that bothers me. Besides that, many of them make me motion sick ;)

All in all, I don' t really get the reviews. It' s very decent but all those reviews made it sound like it was something extremely incredible. Kind of like with Oblivion. Good game but it had some serious issues I thought (for example, AI doing some really stupid things like making people walk into walls, horses that literally floated in the air, too few voice actors etc.).
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: My Final Impressions on Bioshock... and yours? - Sep 02, 2007 01:48
Is VX the only old fart here that can handle 1st person?
Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 20 of 47

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message