Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant"
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24
Nitro

• Total Posts : 11960
Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 05, 2007 23:37
It' s an interesting read...

In a recently published E3 interview, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata speaks of the foremost challenges facing Nintendo as it bids to capitalize on the success of its DS and Wii systems.

Speaking to Newsweek, Iwata said that having stolen a march on its rivals, it was important that Nintendo didn’t lose its internal momentum or become an arrogant company that rested on its laurels.

“I believe my most important role right now is to prevent Nintendo from being in a company where people say, ‘Oh, Nintendo is arrogant, Nintendo has let its guard down’, or ‘Nintendo has lost its challenging spirit’. We want to avoid all of the pitfalls that can come from losing one' s momentum.”

He said that the company was “very lucky” that audiences had been so excepting of recent Nintendo products and that it was important to ensure that new products exceeded expectations.

Iwata also spoke of the importance of finding the right balance between first and third party software on its platforms, and about perceptions of first party software dominance on Nintendo systems.

“I believe that third party publishers kind of look at the software titles that are being sold on Nintendo and they don' t want Nintendo to have more than one-third, otherwise, Nintendo will be too strong. They want to have two-thirds of what' s being sold on the platform.

“However, I believe that the job of first party software is to drive hardware. If you don' t have a quick impact and quick dissemination amongst the audience, you lose momentum. If you don' t have momentum, the third parties don' t want to jump on your platform. So that' s not a good situation to be in."

Nintendo' s president went on to talk about the difficult decision to share insider knowledge with third parties in a bid to garner necessary developer support for the Wii.

“I convinced a lot of people at Nintendo to allow us to give out all this information. Now, of course, there' s the possibility of being imitated, having ideas taken from us before we' re able to use them ourselves. But at the same time, if the industry doesn' t grow, then we can' t grow and we don' t feel that the industry--we have to have the industry to survive so we may survive as well.”

LINK

The part that i' m most interested in is something i was talking about months ago with regard to the best selling software on Wii being Nintendo developed and how that could put third parties off, something certain fuckwit users couldn' t comprehend...

“I believe that third party publishers kind of look at the software titles that are being sold on Nintendo and they don' t want Nintendo to have more than one-third, otherwise, Nintendo will be too strong. They want to have two-thirds of what' s being sold on the platform.

I like what they' re saying and it' s not like Nintendo to comment on this kind of thing, but i' m becoming increasingly concerned that they are losing their focus. With the exceptions of Prime, Galaxy and Kart there' s nothing i' m even remotely interested in.
Virtua fighter 5

• Total Posts : 1327
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 05, 2007 23:47
It' s not that Nintendo are loosing focus, it' s that they have new focus' s.. Nintendo themself' s have made more 1st party games in the space of a year for wii than any other prevous platform.. It' s the 3rd parties that need to pull their finger out.. (which we' re starting to see happen).
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 05, 2007 23:53

Nintendo themself' s have made more 1st party games in the space of a year for wii

Though a lot of them were scheduled for the GC
Nitro

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 05, 2007 23:56
Ok, then Nintendo are focusing on the wrong things. What they' re doing is genius and they' re making a shitload of money, but i play videogames not non-games.
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 00:23
IF Wiifit Takes Wii into the levels of the DS and Nintendogs, it' s anything but ' the wrong thing' . Not only for Nintendo but for us hardcore owners who will see a drastic increase in 3rd party Development due to Massive market share.

Aslo, Nintendo have grown 20% staff-wise and ill doubt thats all for ' Non-game' development.. Just because Nintendo are shouting about ' Wii sports' and alike now ' Obviously this is the irght time and market to promote to), you think they don' t have a IE Fully fledged Wii Zelda in Development?? or brand new franchises, that will shock people?.. Obviously these are gonna take more time but im pretty sure they have alot in store. (and 3rd parties too)..
ginjirou

• Total Posts : 4836
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 00:36
I really hope you' re right, I really do.
Nitro

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 00:44
EDIT: managed to delete my entire fucking post...
< Message edited by NITRO -- 6 Sep 07 1:07:32 >
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 00:58
Youve answerd your own question..

Sony and Now MS are absolutely fierce Competition

Nintendo have to go down a certain paths.

Also, if you only like less, IE FPS, Racers, and the typical type of game, your obviously gonna have a shorter list, inwhich mine consists of a variety of games as i like any game thats done properly (to what is meant to offer, framerates, gameplay) and is fun (gameplay, structure etc)....

< Message edited by virtua fighter 5 -- 5 Sep 07 17:04:25 >
ginjirou

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 01:00
Hence the question: Why should gamers even care about Nintendo any more?
Virtua fighter 5

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 01:07

A question that does not make sense (unless u ment hardcore gamers). as they have been creating new gamers every second since the Wii was released.
ginjirou

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 01:27

ORIGINAL: Virtua fighter 5

A question that does not make sense (unless u ment hardcore gamers). as they have been creating new gamers every second since the Wii was released.

No they' re not. They' re giving normal people products that aren' t related to gamers or the videogame industry at all.
If Nintendo made a calculator and sold it under the GameBoy brand, would they be making new gamers? No, they would just sell something unrelated to games under their brand.
If Nintendo makes workout equipment (Wii-Fit), are they expanding the gaming audience, or are they simply selling workout equipment with their brand on it?

They aren' t becoming gamers. And when developers see that non-gamer products can be as, or even more, profitable than hardcore games, then we will see a decrease in games like Zelda, Metroid, Virtua Fighter, metal Gear Solid and so on because it wouldn' t be profitable to make such games anymore. As such, attracting non-gamers as Nintendo is doing now will only hurt the industry.

If Nintendo wants non-gamers to become REAL gamers that contribute to the videogame industry, then they need to create hardcore games that non-gamers can understand. Games that are deep, yet simple.

The Wii and the Wii-mote has all the potential in the world to create gamers of non-gamers. But with the current focus Nintendo has, it' s not going to happen.
< Message edited by ginjirou -- 5 Sep 07 17:29:57 >
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 01:51

Also, Nintendo have grown 20% staff-wise and ill doubt thats all for ' Non-game' development..

They' re probably all accountants and lawyers counting all the money they' re making.

You guys must have heard that Nintendo is now the 5th largest Company in Japan. Before Wii they weren' t even at the top 10.

Majik..., Crysis, UT III, FF Tactics PSP (I' m getting it).
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 5 Sep 07 17:54:30 >
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 02:19

Obviously these are gonna take more time but im pretty sure they have alot in store. (and 3rd parties too)

Wait, you play 3rd party games on your Wii? Seriously, I doubt Ill buy another 3rd party game for my Wii (especially after the garbage that is RE4make). Sure, this year Im gonna get SMG and SSBB, but after that then what? The next Zelda, then maybe in another year in a half there may be a new Metroid, but when a console has only 3 games a year you even want to touch, its a problem.
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 02:35
Love to hear the response on how Nintendo never deliver with," well they are in another competetion" hell no.

They should deliver games too ffs.
Nitro

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 05:42

ORIGINAL: Agent Ghost

Majik..., Crysis, UT III, FF Tactics PSP (I' m getting it).

I' m an addict.
Agent Ghost

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 08:26

I' m an addict.

No, I meant you forgot those. heh heh.
Abasoufiane

• Total Posts : 2127
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 08:53
i don' t wanna make a whole thread about this, i' m thinking of buying a wii tomorrow, what are your thoughts , i own a 360 , shit load of games that i can play, is it still a good idea to get the wii? what are the games that i' ll be playing in 2007 and 2008 ?

and by the way i never owned a gamecube but i beat the wind waker, resident evil 1&0 &4 ?

i repeat, is it a good idea to get a wii now ? thanks
Agent Ghost

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 08:57
Buy it off of VX, he' ll do a fucking back flip if he can get rid of it.
Nitro

RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 09:08

ORIGINAL: Abasoufiane

i own a 360 , shit load of games that i can play, is it still a good idea to get the wii? what are the games that i' ll be playing in 2007 and 2008 ?

Skate.
SEGA Rally
Halo 3
Half Life 2
PGR4
Eternal Sonata
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Guitar Hero 3: Legends Of Rock
Call of Duty 4
Need For Speed: ProStreet
Naruto
Kane & Lynch
Assassins Creed
Mass Effect
Brother in Arms: Hells Highway
Ace Combat 6
Dark Sector
The Club
Burnout Paradise
Bully: Scholarship Edition

Elveon
Army of Two
Battlefield: Bad Company
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
Fable 2
Indiana Jones
Lost Odyssey
Saints Row 2
Terra: Formations
Turok
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Grand Theft Auto IV
Tom Clancy' s EndWar
Universe at War: Earth Assault
Top Spin 3
The Bourne Conspiracy
Fallout 3
Castle Wolfenstein
Dead Island
Destroy All Humans! Path of Furon
Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Operation Flashpoint 2
Prototype
Race Driver One
Resident Evil 5
Rise of the Argonauts
Silent Hill 5
Soul Calibur IV
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Warhammer: Battle March
Warhound
UTIII
Gears of War 2
Rage

...and more...
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: Iwata: " Nintendo Mustn' t Become Arrogant" - Sep 06, 2007 09:10

i repeat, is it a good idea to get a wii now ? thanks

It depends if your gonna have enough money for upcoming games after you buy the wii. There will be 4 games you' ll need for the wii(TP, SMG, SSBB, and Metroid if your a fan) I just bought one, and to be honest Im kind of regretting it, but I have enough money to get all the 360 games I want that are coming out so Im not too worried.
Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 20 of 24

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message