Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Is this the future of PC gaming
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
Is this the future of PC gaming - Jan 31, 2008 07:27
Been looking at NVIDIA' s websit and stumbled across this beast of a system board. Looks like in the very near future we will have quad sli and upto 8 core cpu processing...Nitro this would do for your gaming rig!!!!

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce_600a.aspx
Phoenix|Slash

• Total Posts : 134
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Jan 31, 2008 09:09
lol

Don' t you wish Computers could be FREE......
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Jan 31, 2008 09:48
wow lol, I like how that computer has 4 side fans. Why not just make the whole side a fan?
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Feb 01, 2008 04:34
Quad SLI is already on the market, I think Dell has a machine with it in. Doesn' t work very well though since nothing is made with it in mind.

Imo, the more cores the more expensive things get and the harder it is to utilise. I think things will balance out when there becomes a standard for multi-core programming.
Rampage99

• Total Posts : 3161
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Feb 01, 2008 04:44
Umm... I don' t think you really have to program for SLi. I think the cards just automatically split up the rendering work either taking on alternating frames or different sections of the screen. It' s not like a CPU where you have to program with based on the amount of cores. I could be wrong but that' s how I' ve understood it.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Feb 01, 2008 04:56

wow lol, I like how that computer has 4 side fans. Why not just make the whole side a fan?

Because they don' t make 240mm fans (if they do, they wouldn' t be cheap), and you get more options on which direction you want the airflow. Besides they' re optional, I' m either getting the p182 or the Stacker 832 soon, if I get the Stacker I don' t intend on adding any side fans.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Feb 01, 2008 09:01

Umm... I don' t think you really have to program for SLi. I think the cards just automatically split up the rendering work either taking on alternating frames or different sections of the screen. It' s not like a CPU where you have to program with based on the amount of cores. I could be wrong but that' s how I' ve understood it.

Sure yea the gpu workload is split between the cards by nVidias drivers, but you still get the option to utilise the feature within the game, and some games work better than others depending on how suited to nVidias drivers they are.

Of course nVidia can then tweak their drivers to suit the games out there afterwards, but they only do it for popular ones.

So far quad SLI hasn' t been a priority for nV since only those with cash to burn will adopt it. Which is why it isn' t working well. I dont think its as straight forward as splitting the frames 4 ways either, from what I' ve read.

I' m just saying the more cores the more complicated things need to be - and the more we need to pay for it. SLI and Quad SLIs are just marketing ploys imo to bide time until they can get their best single card solution out.
GrayFox

• Total Posts : 356
RE: Is this the future of PC gaming - Feb 02, 2008 21:23

SLI and Quad SLIs are just marketing ploys imo to bide time until they can get their best single card solution out.

And to make them go around shouting that they have the most powerful cards on the market.

BTW what you said is spot on lol because the GeForce 9800 is a dual 8800 (GT if i remember right) PCBs slapped on one card like the 7950GX2.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll