Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 HD-DVD Dead
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 19, 2008 21:59
Turns out half of hd dvds numbers were infact the 360 addon and Toshiba was lying about the 1 million sold.

With all companys jumping ship it was just a matter of time. Cant wait for the first toshiba blu ray player!

alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 19, 2008 23:49

ORIGINAL: Chee Saw

ORIGINAL: alijay034

It does really remind me of the Beta and VHS wars of the early 80' s. We got the superior (picture quality) system only for it to usurped by the cheaper more available alernative.

Is it just me, or does that sounds NOTHING like what just happened!?

As far as downloadable content, I think the 360 has the best system so far. First of all, they keep a record of what you' ve bought, so you don' t HAVE to store the information on site (at home, as it were).

Secondly, from the time you hit, " confirm rental" or, " buy movie" to the time it' s watchable is about 3 to 5 minutes! And that' s with a 720p movie!

Third, the price for a rental is right around what you pay if you drive to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video. Except there' s no driving!

Caveats? Well, it only goes to 720p (no 1080i or p), and I' m sure if you have a slow connection your wait time before being able to watch the movie may be longer. I' ve got Verizon FIOS, so no worries on my end, but for others... I don' t know! Also; no special features.

For me, owning the movie means I can hold it in my hands! So " buying" any downloadable content is out of the question! I also don' t rent movies anymore, as I just buy them and add them to the collective! So basically, my whole argument is moot for myself! That was fun!

I was being sarcastic, Sony won the format wars last time around.
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 20, 2008 13:13
Any HD-DVD supporters here?

" hasta la vista, baby"
Iad umboros

• Total Posts : 750
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 20, 2008 18:37
It' s made me happy aznyway. The only time PS3 gets used is watching BluRay movies. Not really the PS3' s fault I just haven' t had time for Ratchet & Clank or Uncharted yet.
Dagashi

• Total Posts : 987
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 01:52
Well, I' ve been watching every bit of news as far as HD-DVD and Blu Ray over the last 2 years and I have to say I' m very pleased with this news.

The fact that we will soon have only one High Def format in production will help a great deal with adoption rates, meaning more movies put out on blu ray, and more effort put towards getting the special features working well.

I' m just happy one format has won. I always thought it would be Blu Ray, but I was ready to accept either as the victor just to end the format wars for the good of the consumer.

Being able to get all the studios movies on Blu Ray is really going to kick ass. No matter what anyone says, you can easily tell the difference between High Def and regular DVD' s on an HDTV. On HDTV' s over 50" the difference is night and day.
Zoy

• Total Posts : 1703
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 02:20
Actually I' m kind of surprised Blu-Ray won... it' s relatively rare that the technically superior format wins in these types of head-to-head battles. Of course, the general public still doesn' t care. But probably by holiday ' 09 it' ll get to be in about half of households.
Agent Ghost

RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 02:31
The thing that saved BD from its higher cost is the fact that HD brings high entry price anyways. A HD television is required to enjoy HD media so the early adopters were even more tech savvy than usual. Choosing the right format is more important than saving a few bucks, especially when most of us knew that choosing the wrong one would be expensive.

I almost feel sorry for the people who bought dozens of HD-DVD movies. Maybe the studios will offer an exchange program, where you can send in your HD-DVD movies and they will give you the BD version.
< Message edited by Agent Ghost -- 15 Mar 08 6:59:22 >
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 03:42
So, here' s a valid question.

Whatcha gonna do with your HD-DVD player/add-ons now that it' s dead? If you' ve got some normal pussy answer like, " keep it in good working condition, and do nothing to it" , I don' t want to hear it. Get creative.
Agent Ghost

RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 03:57

Whatcha gonna do with your HD-DVD player/add-ons now that it' s dead? If you' ve got some normal pussy answer like, " keep it in good working condition, and do nothing to it" , I don' t want to hear it. Get creative.

I didn' t buy one myself but here' s a few suggestions from TeamXbox.

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/2166/Ways-to-Extend-Xbox-360-HD-DVDs-Life/p1/

< Message edited by agent Ghost -- 20 Feb 08 19:57:35 >
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 21, 2008 23:19
Paramount just Jumped.

I called a blu ray victory months ago! cant find the thread though...
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 22, 2008 06:30
Now THIS is funny.

Instead of marketing HDDVD players as such, to get them off shelves Circuit City is relabeling their players as HDMI upscaling DVD players (with HDDVD playback).

ROFL
mastachefbkw

• Total Posts : 3793
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Feb 23, 2008 03:28

Now THIS is funny.

Instead of marketing HDDVD players as such, to get them off shelves Circuit City is relabeling their players as HDMI upscaling DVD players (with HDDVD playback).

ROFL
emofag

• Total Posts : 1508
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Mar 15, 2008 13:35

Just for the fact that hd-dvd players could play the dvd' s that people already have.

Bluray players can read any optical media, including DVD.

And I just came here to mock HD DVD

Fuck all you imbeciles who actually supported an inferior format, kill yourselves now please. Fucking idiots.
< Message edited by emofag -- 15 Mar 08 5:37:15 >
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: HD-DVD Dead - Mar 15, 2008 14:58
lol, upscaling dvd players are a marketing scam for nubs.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 34 of 34

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message