Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Got my 360 back,its quiet!
QuezcatoL

• Total Posts : 7059
Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 18:51
It doesnt make a fucking sound at all when starting the 360 and play demos etc.

fantastic, the falcon chip were great!
alijay034

• Total Posts : 1433
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 19:05
Have you been given a description of what work was carried out? has it been refurbed or replaced? if it is quieter they might have just replaced the DVD drive?
QuezcatoL

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 19:48
No it cant be the DVD drive since I only played demos,and before it sound like a fucking storm.

They wrote they changed the motherboard chip.

And apparently it seems so,its damn quiet.
alijay034

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 20:37
Nice one, sounds like you had decent service, long may it last!!!!
QuezcatoL

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 22:01
yeah,it basically took me a week and I got a quiet 360 now.
UnluckyOne

• Total Posts : 995
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 22:16
Good to know Quez because unfortunately, my faithful 360 decided to die too, just when I got to the 4th disc of Lost Odyssey! It' s been a good few years now, my first ever problem. I noticed a slight artifacting last night in one of the cut scenes and thought that it may be time for a break (oh pun) so I turned it off. Next morning, 3RLoD.

I' ve already sent it off to them, and hopefully it should be back within a week or so. So I guess this news is somewhat encouraging.

edit: Now that I think about it, the loudest part of my 360 was never the fans, nor was it the DVD drive. My HDD is definitely the loudest. It thrashes away like hell whenever it' s caching something. Whenever it' s in use, it sounds like it' s just bouncing around in its flimsy plastic casing, like it' s ready to tear itself off the side of the 360. I' ll probably look into just popping it open and placing a couple of rubber washers to dampen the vibrations. Although I' ll have to see what it looks like inside first.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 14 Feb 08 14:28:52 >
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 22:53
I think it sucks MS is ripping us off if we want bigger harddrives in the Xbox, i have 250gb in my ps3 and it cost a fraction of the 120gb i can buy from MS.
QuezcatoL

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 23:10
The casual gamer wont be able to do that,I mean put in a laptop HDD,but yeah a friend or a electronic store probably can do that though.
alijay034

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 14, 2008 23:28
It won' t work because of the FAT used on the 360 is 360 specific. Which means you are bound to buy M$ approved disks!!!!
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 15, 2008 00:51

It won' t work because of the FAT used on the 360 is 360 specific. Which means you are bound to buy M$ approved disks!!!!

Yeah, they use FATX I believe. You can upgrade your HDD on the cheaps, but you have to have the specific model of HDD, and need to have some pretty good PC skills.

Did you get a model with an HDMI port Quez?

The new 65nm processor has next to nothing to do with how loud the box is. The new drive is what' s keeping the boxes quiet. The fans are ever so slightly quieter, but most Xboxes are actually really quiet when you run them without the DVD drive plugged in.
QuezcatoL

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 15, 2008 06:15
No,its the same xbox360.

But they swapped the motherboard,more I dont know.

But it make no sound,it usually sound like a fucking hurricane before in the dashboard.
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 15, 2008 15:11

Yeah, they use FATX I believe. You can upgrade your HDD on the cheaps, but you have to have the specific model of HDD, and need to have some pretty good PC skills.

-Have you tried it Eddie?
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 15, 2008 16:04

ORIGINAL: QuezcatoL

No,its the same xbox360.

But they swapped the motherboard,more I dont know.

But it make no sound,it usually sound like a ***ing hurricane before in the dashboard.

Could the new motherboard have HDMI on it but you can' t see it because they kept the same casing?
QuezcatoL

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 15, 2008 17:39
dont know,perhaps.

But im loving my 360 atm now.
Hopefully it wont break in another 2 years.

Love how quiet it is.

Its even more quiet then a ps2,not joking.
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 16, 2008 05:11

-Have you tried it Eddie?

Yes indeed I have, though not on my own box. I' ll PM you some more info/tuts if you' re seriously looking into it.

Could the new motherboard have HDMI on it but you can' t see it because they kept the same casing?

I doubt it. If they were to upgrade your mobo, they' d throw it in a new case. At least that' s been the trend thus far, though I don' t know quite as much about the European repair centers so I can' t say for certain.
UnluckyOne

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 16, 2008 10:57

ORIGINAL: Eddie_the_Hated

I doubt it. If they were to upgrade your mobo, they' d throw it in a new case. At least that' s been the trend thus far, though I don' t know quite as much about the European repair centers so I can' t say for certain.

Down in Aus they most certainly do replace the whole PCB. When my friend got his back from repairs, it had exactly the same case (it was marked beforehand) and serial number. But there was one important change. He has a MAC address filter on his home network and when he attempted to reconnect his 360 with it, connection failed. Closer inspection revealed that the MAC address had changed and after updating the filter he was able to connect again.

It' s impossible to change a MAC address without getting completely new hardware. Since everything is integrated on the PCB, one would only logically assume that a completely different PCB was given during repairs. I' ll test this theory myself when I get my 360 back next week.

But after reading this:
http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/132014.asp?from=blog_last3

It' s safe to say all Quez got was a refurbished old design with an improved cooling system. " Opus" will solve this problem as said in the link, but it' s too early at the moment. It won' t be until late 2008 that repaired 360' s get Falcon like PCB' s.
< Message edited by UnluckyOne -- 16 Feb 08 3:03:24 >
Eddie_the_Hated

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 16, 2008 13:16
Huh... Interesting link Unlucky... I' ve known about Jasper for months, and I saw " Opus" coming, but Valhalla is totally new to me.

Opus makes sense. The Valhalla combo chip on the other hand would be a massive undertaking. The amount of R&D would be astounding. I personally can' t see it in the near future, if at all, but I' ve got the page bookmarked. We shall see.
Chee Saw

• Total Posts : 1466
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 16, 2008 18:32
Maybe with the Valhalla package they' re going the PS2-->PSTWO route, and thinking of a major design overhaul! I' d actually be impressed!

I' d say, about the size of the HD-DVD add-on would be about right!
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 16, 2008 19:30

I' d say, about the size of the HD-DVD add-on would be about right!

Not if they want to keep the HDD.
UnluckyOne

RE: Got my 360 back,its quiet! - Feb 21, 2008 08:46
Well, I got my 360 back this morning. In total it was away for 5 days. It was only at the repair center for a single day, the rest of the time it was in transit.

As I suspected, they definitely changed the entire PCB. The MAC address is different as well as the Kernel version. I thought I had lucked out got a vulnerable HV kernel but it was still recent enough to stop any sort of easy tampering.

The console itself doesn' t seem any different. Mine was never loud to begin with apart from the HDD. Temperatures seem to be the same as before.

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message
  • Post New Poll