Forum Navigation
Welcome to Kikizo's Forum Archives. Login and user functionality is no longer available -- this is now a permanent archive of forum content.

Prev Thread Prev Thread   Next Thread Next Thread
 Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 21, 2009 23:45
Next gen we won't have to choose.  PC is already there.
Silentbomber

• Total Posts : 4673
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 00:05
Is this Real Time?

The Intro Is Out, Impressive stuff.
locopuyo

• Total Posts : 3138
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 00:52
Silentbomber

Is this Real Time?

The Intro Is Out, Impressive stuff.

No... You're an idiot.

Silentbomber

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 04:36
i dunno, parts of that are heavly touched up but i do think some of at least is in engine.
choupolo

• Total Posts : 1773
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 06:18
Either way, that intro is sick.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 06:53
choupolo

Either way, that intro is sick.

Either way, the game still sucks.
_Majik_

• Total Posts : 198
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 22, 2009 08:39
Before the title it's CG, ...afterwards it's in engine. The transition to gameplay is superb.

Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 10:10

I've been putting off playing the review version until I can dedicate a weekend properly. I think I'll start it tonight but there's also the small matter of Street Fighter IV review disc. :P But you know what, last time I saw KZ2 properly was a long time ago and even back then it was looking like it could match the 2005 target render. From 2006:

"Today, Killzone 2 is without question the most visually striking game we have seen on any console. Seriously. And best of all, it's 100% the real thing. This, arguably, is the showcase that PS3 was made for... In motion, first-hand, this is a visual DEMON of graphical prowess."

Having said that, the latest FEAR2 build looks rather tasty also... ;-)
Vx Chemical

• Total Posts : 5534
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 11:58
Oh my fucking god, that intro is amazing, it holds exactly what i want in a modern shooter
_Majik_

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 13:34
Adam Doree

I've been putting off playing the review version until I can dedicate a weekend properly. I think I'll start it tonight but there's also the small matter of Street Fighter IV review disc. :P But you know what, last time I saw KZ2 properly was a long time ago and even back then it was looking like it could match the 2005 target render. From 2006:

"Today, Killzone 2 is without question the most visually striking game we have seen on any console. Seriously. And best of all, it's 100% the real thing. This, arguably, is the showcase that PS3 was made for... In motion, first-hand, this is a visual DEMON of graphical prowess."

Having said that, the latest FEAR2 build looks rather tasty also... ;-)

FEAR 2 is good, but not great. I guess if you loved the first game then you'll love the second, but i didn't and so don't. It's not bad though.

choupolo

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 19:11
I wasn't looking forward to FEAR 2 until I just played the demo on PC this minute.  Its awesome.  The engine is dated but they use their effects incredibly well.  Plus its a complete mind-fuck. Much more so than the Condemned games. 

Its also a bit less schizo than FEAR was, with a nicer blend of the action and spine-chills than before.  I think Monolith have done well and redeemed themselves after some poor expansion pack efforts.

Bearing in mind my PC is dated and being replaced soon - here are some screencaps.  AA is turned off for performance but the game runs very smoothly.

Mechs with miniguns are brilliant.
<message edited by choupolo on Jan 23, 2009 19:44>
Adam Doree

• Total Posts : 1113
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 21:01
When I saw FEAR2 back in Dec - slightly above average, move on

When I saw it yesterday - OMFG wow. Looks like KZ2... MGS4 even... :P
<message edited by Adam Doree on Jan 24, 2009 18:38>
Eddie_the_Hated

• Total Posts : 8015
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 23, 2009 22:22
Really? The engine looks dated, and I don't like the weapons.

I'll give it a chance, because I loved the first one, but from the perspective of having not yet played it, I couldn't rank it up there with MGS4, and what I've seen of KZ2.
Silentbomber

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 24, 2009 04:31
link to good pc demo please.
choupolo

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 24, 2009 08:52
http://www.gamershell.com/news_67980.aspx

You'll find some decent mirrors here.

The base modelling, lighting, textures etc are failrly basic compared to KZ2, but their use of depth of field, motion blur, distortion and tone adds so much to the atmosphere and makes things feel tangibly surreal.  Plus the weapons actually have recoil causing damage to everything and anything - which I couldn't really sense from the KZ2 vids.

Its wont be everyones cup of tea as Majik said, but I loved FEAR - the last 30 mins of the game especially were epic.  And FEAR2 starts just as intense as FEAR ended.
<message edited by choupolo on Jan 24, 2009 09:02>
_Majik_

Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 26, 2009 16:13
FEAR 2 looks dated. There's some really good use of shaders, blur and depth of field effects... but that's where it stops. The character models, interior environments and texture detail are sub-par in comparison. Even the PC version looks like ass compared to Killzone 2.

I didn't really like the original FEAR. It felt dated even then next to Half Life 2, Doom 3 and Escape From Butcher Bay and the weapon design was. A big deal was made about the AI, but i wasn't ever really impressed by it. The slow-mo gunplay was cool and it had some nice particle affects, but i found the storyline lacking and the whole thing a little washy.

The sequel starts well, although you don't get any idea of where the story is going, and the weapon design is infinitly better, but in terms of visual fidelity on all levels... Killzone 2 stops all over it...

I would qualify Killzone 2 with 'The best looking console game i've ever laid my eyes on...". In pure visual fuck-awesomeness terms, it's obviously not quite Crysis, because Crysis is just godly...

....but that isn;t to say i don't think there are areas where Killzone 2 shits all over Cryteks masterpiece. Art direction, character design, weapon design, animations, hit detection etc are all far superior. I'm even seriously impressed with Killzone 2's texturing... it's extremely good in almost every area.

Whether Killzone 2 is likely to be as popular as Halo 3 or CoD4 (Live) online is another question. PSN still has a long way to go to rival Xbox Live. It's also never going to seel as well as either game, but that doesn;t detract from the fact that it's arguably the most badass shooter on any of the consoles. Will they recoup their development costs in the first year? Probably not. It's never going to be as big as the Halo games or even the Gears games... which is a shame... but i couldn't care either way. As far as i'm concerned the whole 2005 trailer controversy has resulted in them pulling out all the stops and [probably] spending far more than they will have originally have budgeted, crafting an absolutely badass experience. 
Agent Ghost

• Total Posts : 5486
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 26, 2009 16:24
They're using a custom engine that uses CELL for some of the graphical work.  Which means they have the luxury of using more memory for graphics than most PS3 games with are limited to 256MB of RSX.

It's going to be fucking awesome.
mikayd2

• Total Posts : 1129
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 30, 2009 17:54
This sucka told me I can't have cheese on my tacos.
immortaldanmx

• Total Posts : 2966
Re:Food for Thought - Killzone 2 Surpasses Target Renders - Jan 30, 2009 20:30
Are you attempting to troll? Youre failing at it. You know, just like everything else that actually has came from africa.

Racism Disclaimer: No, Im not saying "African-Americans". I mean anyone that was actually born in Africa and then came here to live off of welfare and date obese women.
Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 21 to 39 of 39

Jump to:

Icon Legend and Permission
  • New Messages
  • No New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
  • Locked w/ New Messages
  • Locked w/o New Messages
  • Read Message
  • Post New Thread
  • Reply to message